2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Xwang
Xwang

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:31
Hamilton was goood this week. Back to normal.

Ferrari just pooped the strategy this race. They had slower car anyhow.

Vestappen extremely lucky that his reckless mistake did not cost him the whole front wing this time:) lol.

Overall a good race to watch, deserved win by Mercedes Pirelli. I am really looking for the next race. Mercedes Pirelli and Ferrari really look close but after this race my favs are Mercedes Pirelli again.
Corrected

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:29
siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:00
Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:53

2017 preseason tests were offered to all teams and pilots. If someone has not taken that opportunity it was only their fault.
So you admit Pirelli favored Ferrari in 2017 and took their opinion more than others to create the final tyre compound which suited Ferrari more.
Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:43
Who was battling versus Vettel in 2013 championship?
that doesnt matter, as long as Vettel gained 9 race wins due to tyre change favoring their car

Therefore to quote Vettel himself again
"What goes around comes around"
I do not admit nothing about 2017, I am only saying that, even admitting that those rumors were true, one thing is to give everybody the possibility to test and say their opinion, the other is to follow complaints of only a team and inform the other when they have already made their car and their tyre choice for that GP.
Moreover if those rumours were real, you would have listen a lot of complaints from Red Bull and Mercedes.
So IMHO they were only rumours.

As far as what goes around comes around I can say that in 2013 Vettel was contesting the championships vs Alonso who drove Ferrari and after tyre change Ferrari wasn't able to win any more in that years.
This time seems the same.
Only some silly persons think that F1 is about pilots.
It is about teams!

I remember that Mercedes pilots during this winter test were doing burnouts in the pitlane in order to ruin their tyres and than say that they had problems with blistering.
Why they have not keep burning out tyres during this weekend when in pitlane?

Moreover somebody yesterday has asked me here how I justify the gain in performance (0.5s) made after Australia and I have given my response.
Now I ask you how has Mercedes gained 1 seconds to everybody in 2 weeks?

As Vettel himself said, it was Mercedes that lost something in previous 2 races. It was obvious setup problems. It is obvious because they were even slower than the last year times of theirs. Think about that for second!

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:32
foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:31
Hamilton was goood this week. Back to normal.

Ferrari just pooped the strategy this race. They had slower car anyhow.

Vestappen extremely lucky that his reckless mistake did not cost him the whole front wing this time:) lol.

Overall a good race to watch, deserved win by Mercedes Pirelli. I am really looking for the next race. Mercedes Pirelli and Ferrari really look close but after this race my favs are Mercedes Pirelli again.
Corrected
Well all you deserve as a reply is: sour grapes.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

The Hamilton record setting machine rolls on.

His latest one is winning races from pole positions.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:45
Juzh wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:41
He was stuck behind one of the williams under VSC who was driving way too slowly
Ah, that makes sesne. Thanks.
OK, turns out I was wrong. He did actually spin under VSC

[media]https://twitter.com/VanGamerenF1/status ... 5523159041[/media]

Xwang
Xwang

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:33
Xwang wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

So you admit Pirelli favored Ferrari in 2017 and took their opinion more than others to create the final tyre compound which suited Ferrari more.

that doesnt matter, as long as Vettel gained 9 race wins due to tyre change favoring their car

I do not admit nothing about 2017, I am only saying that, even admitting that those rumors were true, one thing is to give everybody the possibility to test and say their opinion, the other is to follow complaints of only a team and inform the other when they have already made their car and their tyre choice for that GP.
Moreover if those rumours were real, you would have listen a lot of complaints from Red Bull and Mercedes.

As far as what goes around comes around I can say that in 2013 Vettel was contesting the championships vs Alonso who drove Ferrari and after tyre change Ferrari wasn't able to win any more in that years.
It is about teams!

I remember that Mercedes pilots during this winter test were doing burnouts in the pitlane in order to ruin their tyres and than say that they had problems with blistering.

Moreover somebody yesterday has asked me here how I justify the gain in performance (0.5s) made after Australia and I have given my response.

As Vettel himself said, it was Mercedes that lost something in previous 2 races. It was obvious setup problems. It is obvious because they were even slower than the last year times of theirs. Think about that for second!
Ok so we have justified 0.5 s of gain (given by the setup).
The other 0.5s?
According to me moreover they were slower because:
1) this year cars are heavier and draggier due to Halo
2)Ferrari has gone from a draggier philosophy car to a more efficient car. Mercedes already had a more efficient car last year so their gain from last year to this were less than the drawback given by the halo
3)last year Mercedes used 1.2kg/100km of oil this year only 0.6 (and for sure it was always more able to use that than rivals)

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:09
Arrivabene on the new tyres: "It's not in Ferrari's DNA to complain. We haven't done so. Having said that, Toto can say what he wants, but a clarification: there is a difference between being consulted and being informed. We have been informed, not consulted"
So Ferrari DNA has a mutation and now they complain. I see. :P First they should learn how to treat Kimi a little bit more fair. If it goes like this they have little chance of winning constructors.
Last edited by foxmulder_ms on 13 May 2018, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

jurinius
jurinius

Sometimes it s good to take it from the source again, that help for headaches...
https://news.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/n ... 1526209268
+
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/ ... ggles.html
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

Xwang
Xwang

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:52
JPBD1990 wrote:
Arrivabene on the new tyres: "It's not in Ferrari's DNA to complain. We haven't done so. Having said that, Toto can say what he wants, but a clarification: there is a difference between being consulted and being informed. We have been informed, not consulted"
So Ferrari DNA has a mutation and now they complain. I see. :P First they should learn how to treat Kimi a little bit more fare. If it goes like this they have little chance of winning constructors.
Maybe you do not know, but Arrivabene has answered a journalist who reported to him the fact that Wolf said that all teams have been consulted before changing tyres construction and so he has clarified that it is not so.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:41
foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:33
Xwang wrote:

It is about teams!

Ok so we have justified 0.5 s of gain (given by the setup).
The other 0.5s?
According to me moreover they were slower because:
1) this year cars are heavier and draggier due to Halo
2)Ferrari has gone from a draggier philosophy car to a more efficient car. Mercedes already had a more efficient car last year so their gain from last year to this were less than the drawback given by the halo
3)last year Mercedes used 1.2kg/100km of oil this year only 0.6 (and for sure it was always more able to use that than rivals)

We will learn it soon enough if this is all due to 0.4mm change on tires. I don't think it is because last two races Mercedes was "abnormally slow" in my opinion.

Vasconia

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:52
JPBD1990 wrote:
So Ferrari DNA has a mutation and now they complain. I see. :P First they should learn how to treat Kimi a little bit more fair. If it goes like this they have little chance of winning constructors.
I don´t see an explicit complain here but its interesting he how marks the difference between being consulted and informed.

siskue2005

Xwang wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:53

2017 preseason tests were offered to all teams and pilots. If someone has not taken that opportunity it was only their fault.
Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:43
Who was battling versus Vettel in 2013 championship?

So Pirelli followed Ferrari's advice and brought tyre favouring them in 2017 and 2018...u can see the pattern here, how well the Ferrari car handles the tyres in the past season and this. Pirelli has also tailor made tyres for them this season, then how do u explain a 1 sec lap time jump only for them, when everyone else has gone backwards (except for the Spain race)?
Xwang wrote:
Same can be said for Spain situation, it is only ferrari and especially Vettel crying over the tyre whereas all the other teams are not even opening their mouth.....so the tyre suiting Merc in spain is just a roumour as no other team has said anything about it
Xwang wrote:
It is about teams!
So why are you crying now? didnt the 2017 pirelli favour more to Ferrari ?
Xwang wrote:
Any proof for this comment?
Xwang wrote:
So your suggestion is in Australia also pirelli brought this tyre to help Merc (although secretly)? :wtf:
Xwang wrote:
Now i also ask you how did Ferrari gain 1 sec from Australia to China to everybody?
did they also get secret tyres from Pirelli?? :?:

NathanOlder

One thing I'm wondering about is,
These tyres suited mercedes, they dominate the race, 20 seconds up the road and turned down the PU.

So previous tyres suited the Ferrari? They battle with Mercedes and Merc are close enough to get lucky with safety cars ect.

That to me just shows how much better the Mercedes is.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Xwang
Xwang

siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 19:11
Xwang wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

So Pirelli followed Ferrari's advice and brought tyre favouring them in 2017 and 2018...u can see the pattern here, how well the Ferrari car handles the tyres in the past season and this. Pirelli has also tailor made tyres for them this season, then how do u explain a 1 sec lap time jump only for them, when everyone else has gone backwards (except for the Spain race)?
Xwang wrote:
Same can be said for Spain situation, it is only ferrari and especially Vettel crying over the tyre whereas all the other teams are not even opening their mouth.....so the tyre suiting Merc in spain is just a roumour as no other team has said anything about it
Xwang wrote:
It is about teams!
Xwang wrote:
Xwang wrote:
So your suggestion is in Australia also pirelli brought this tyre to help Merc (although secretly)? :wtf:
Xwang wrote:
Now i also ask you how did Ferrari gain 1 sec from Australia to China to everybody?
You have understood nothing of what I've said!

siskue2005

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 19:14
siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 19:11
Xwang wrote:

Xwang wrote:
Xwang wrote:
It is about teams!
Xwang wrote:
Xwang wrote:
Xwang wrote:
You have understood nothing of what I've said!
Yes very clearly