2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

ferkan wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:28
GrandAxe wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:56
ferkan wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:27
Then again, if like what you say, 0.4mm hardly makes a difference, why even bring them here?
Taking 0.4mm off without changing the build or chemistry is equivalent to wear from a couple of laps, only it will be on a brand new surface. Same tyre, just thinner surface rubber.
The excess 0.4mm was deemed unsafe due to excessive graining.

Blame for this mess should go to both Pirelli and the FIA for making the tyres part of what they call "the spectacle", or the "circus". The consequence is that tyres have now become a political tool to be batted around. Its best to take the tyres out and give us good old, uncontroversial racing.
What is spectacular about these tires? Im completely serious, what is it about them? We pretty much have 1 stop races all the time. Today, Spain, one of the toughest races on tire - 1stop for 90% of the field. 5 years ago? 3-4 stopper.

Thing is, Ferrari struggled badly with tires. They where faster on S then SS, as where RB. This is something completely new. Only team not struggling with SS was team that struggled most with them up until this weekend. If 0.4mm change is nothing, then why introduce it at all? Even Ric said he had big issues with tires today. I dont buy it, there is no need for Pirelli to listen to suggestion of champ contending team if there is no serious security risk. And there really is no...we ran 39 laps on SS with 100kg fuel on board in Bahrain and Baku ffs.

So just for the sake of clear thinking, what please is the difference between a tyre (of this type) that has done enough laps to scrub 4 mm off as use and a tyre that is issued with 4mm ground off? (ignore if it was pushed,or nursed)

OK, we know that heat curing the tyre changes the surface properties of the 'rubber' and that when the tyre is new more thickness means more movement, but what is lost and gained from a cars point of view by it being issued thinner when compared to one that has done (say) 3 laps on a practice day?

Would it detract from some teams or just remove a problem from others? (obviously, one team getting a problem is a benefit to another)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

In this thread:

:lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

On another note, Grosjean should get a race ban, period.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

RZS10

So according to AMuS Grosjean told the stewards that he tried to power across the track to get out of the way of everyone ............. eh? #-o

Sieper

RZS10 wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:58
So according to AMuS Grosjean told the stewards that he tried to power across the track to get out of the way of everyone ............. eh? #-o
I think that is just a smoke screen. :twisted:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Anyone not sure why the tyres were changed, go look at the pictures in the winter testing threads. Mercedes & Red Bull both suffered from severe blistering of the rears. Other teams had issues, perhaps not as bad, but given the cooler temps during winter testing it was certainly a concern. Pirelli had two options, reduce the tread on the selected compounds, or "shuffle" up to the harder compounds. They felt keeping the same compounds but with less tread was the least disruptive given everyone had already chosen compounds etc.

While many may argue the blistering issues teams had during testing is their issue to resolve, that's not really how Pirelli see it given the amount of bad press they received during the seasons when tyres were blowing up. They firstly have a duty to deliver safe and reliable tyres to all teams, and secondly to deliver a product that represents the quality of their brand. Allowing any team to run tyres with known issues would certainly put them in danger of failling at least one of these duties.

Wynters
Wynters

LM10 wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:24
You just can't tell Ferrari got better by 9 tenths because they were 7 tenths slower in Australia and then 2 tenths faster in Bahrain. That's anything but serious.
You mean that tracks are different and that cars and knowledge evolve significantly between races? That's entirely my point.
Wynters wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:46
nothing stands still and nothing is simple in F1.

LM10
LM10

Wynters wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:13
LM10 wrote:
You just can't tell Ferrari got better by 9 tenths because they were 7 tenths slower in Australia and then 2 tenths faster in Bahrain. That's anything but serious.
You mean that tracks are different and that cars and knowledge evolve significantly between races? That's entirely my point.
Yes, tracks are different, but Barcelona is not that different from any of the previous tracks. It's a kind of a mix, if you want. Ferrari proved to be a fast car on all layouts and in all weather conditions. Today they were much slower than Mercedes. I don't think it's because Mercedes evolved like Phoenix from the ashes.

fabian77
fabian77

LM10 wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:25
Wynters wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:13
LM10 wrote:
Yes, tracks are different, but Barcelona is not that different from any of the previous tracks. It's a kind of a mix, if you want. Ferrari proved to be a fast car on all layouts and in all weather conditions. Today they were much slower than Mercedes. I don't think it's because Mercedes evolved like Phoenix from the ashes.
Lol we will see they are only using these tyres in Silverstone and France only.

Shrieker

The change for the tires imho for sure helped Mercedes, going by the previous races. But to say that it was premeditated on Merc's and Pirelli's part, is utterly ridiculous. Posts fanatically insisting on this should be dealt with ruthlessly.
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

Just have to say if merc can figure out the 'normal' tyres. Its game over big time.

W09 is a sleeping beast. Will it be fully woken? Ferrari are praying
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zeph
zeph

Really can’t figure out what the deal is with Grosjean. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last season in F1.

He can be quick on a good day, but first that crash under the SC in Baku and now this?

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
14 May 2018, 00:43
Just have to say if merc can figure out the 'normal' tyres. Its game over big time.

W09 is a sleeping beast. Will it be fully woken? Ferrari are praying
They didn't have problems with the "normal" tyres on race pace. It's really arrogant to think that the only way Mercedes can lose is if they have issues.

But let's talk in your language then: The tyre problems Ferrari had in Barcelona were way bigger than the ones Mercedes has had until now. I can't remember Mercedes being forced to pit more than others because their tyres were gone.

Dazed1
Dazed1

Verstappen drove well with a damaged car, but then ______________________ (Fill in your own punchline.)

Wynters
Wynters

LM10 wrote:
Yes, tracks are different, but Barcelona is not that different from any of the previous tracks.
I don't remember cars doing a thousand laps of China?
LM10 wrote:
Ferrari proved to be a fast car on all layouts and in all weather conditions.
Other than Australia (very slow) and China (beaten on race pace by Bottas)?
LM10 wrote:
I don't think it's because Mercedes evolved like Phoenix from the ashes.
As long as Ferrari smash past Mercedes it's fine (after both winter testing and Australia establilsh that Mercedes are faster) because 'tracks are different', but if Mercedes beat Ferrari (on a track they've been faster for a thousand laps on this season) it's has to be cheating?