2018 season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
roon

2018 season

I noticed three distinct fights in the standings--a two-way fight for first, a four-way fight for third, and a three-way fight for seventh. I'm pretty bad at historical F1 statistics, so I was wondering if this sort of thing is common mid-season. From the front page of this website:

1. Sebastian Vettel 146
2. Lewis Hamilton 145

3. Kimi Rรคikkรถnen 101
4. Daniel Ricciardo 96
5. Max Verstappen 93
6. Valtteri Bottas 92

7. Kevin Magnussen 37
8. Fernando Alonso 36
9. Nico Hulkenberg 34

I would also venture to guess that this is the first time in five years that Merc have not been leading the constructors championship mid-season.

Clearhooter

Re: 2018 season

I've been interested in F-1 since 1961. Seems there has always been some form of domination in the sport. Be it the driver, the car or both. I followed the sport religiously during the era of Clark, Hill, Brabham, Gurney and the likes. When Jimmy got killed I kind of lost interest. In 2011 I happened on the Hungarian GP on SPEED VISION (Miss that channel.). That was some too fast to think racing. I was hooked again. There's been a lot of changes since then. Hybrids, drivers, I got a "HOME TEAM" to pull for. BUT !!! IMO.... In answer to your question. YES. You can just about be assured one of two teams are going to have at least one driver on the podium. This year has been THE BEST most competitive year I have watched since 2011. there are really three teams alive. And from 4th spot on down there are a lot more opportunities for anyone to move up.

Manoah2u

Without being negative towards the past near-decade; i'd advise you to download and watch the Senna vs Prost and Schumacher era. late 80s all the way to the mid 90's.
Absolutely spectacular.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Clearhooter wrote: โ†‘
15 Jul 2018, 20:11
I've been interested in F-1 since 1961. Seems there has always been some form of domination in the sport. Be it the driver, the car or both. I followed the sport religiously during the era of Clark, Hill, Brabham, Gurney and the likes. When Jimmy got killed I kind of lost interest. In 2011 I happened on the Hungarian GP on SPEED VISION (Miss that channel.). That was some too fast to think racing. I was hooked again. There's been a lot of changes since then. Hybrids, drivers, I got a "HOME TEAM" to pull for. BUT !!! IMO.... In answer to your question. YES. You can just about be assured one of two teams are going to have at least one driver on the podium. This year has been THE BEST most competitive year I have watched since 2011. there are really three teams alive. And from 4th spot on down there are a lot more opportunities for anyone to move up.
You forget 2012 already?! 8)
Seven races seven winners.
Final battle in the final race. I will always remember that season fondly.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Clearhooter

F-1 does see competition for the podiums from time to time. And championships ! But I see more domination between those times. Or maybe it's that, the one that comes out on top of those intense competitions tend to dominate ? The main thing is... It's fast ! I like it !

Andres125sx

IMO this season is awesome on the best of the rest battle. Except top three teams, all teams are there at some race. Not Williams, but maybe with a better lineup... But even STR and Sauber have been best of the rest at some GP.

There are GPs where theyยดre all in half a second or close, and the slightest mistake can make a car with was aiming 7th finish 12th.

The title battle, both constructors and drivers, looks the most interesting in a while too

roon

Renault are considered a factory team, but so are Ferrari and Merc. The points gap between those two and Renault is significant, though. What advantages should Renault have as a factory team, but are not reaping? Nor exploiting. Or realizing.

They are doing a little better than Haas/McLaren/Force India, but have 1/3 the points of the best customer team.

senja

They need years. Mercedes started their factory team in 2010, by buying the best team from previous year. And they lose to Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari in 2010 and 2011. Two customer teams, one of them with their engine, and one factory team. But Renault was behind them in their first two years. Then in 2012 Renault is gone as factory team. But Mercedes finished that year in 5. place. Behind Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Lotus (bought from Renault factory team). So Mercedes in their 3rd year lose to 3 customer teams and one factory team.

Phil

After 12 races now in total, might as well update the original post with the most recent figures a month later:

1 Lewis Hamilton 213
2 Sebastian Vettel 189 (-24 to 1st)

[43 points]

3 Kimi Raikkonen 146
4 Valtteri Bottas 132 (-14 to 3rd)
5 Daniel Ricciardo 118 (-28 to 3rd)
6 Max Verstappen 105 (-41 to 3rd)

[53 points]

7 Nico Hulkenberg 52
8 Kevin Magnussen 45 (-7 to 7th)
9 Fernando Alonso 44 (-8 to 7th)

Still 9 races to come.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. โ€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Brenton

Does 3rd place matter to those 4 drivers? If it does, how much does it matter to them compared to getting their team 1st or 2nd in constructors?

Big Tea

Brenton wrote: โ†‘
05 Aug 2018, 01:26
Does 3rd place matter to those 4 drivers? If it does, how much does it matter to them compared to getting their team 1st or 2nd in constructors?
It matters a lot to the drivers, as it appears in the 'headline'. No one knows who came 4th, 5th, or 6th unless they look it up. The podium is the headline.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Third place nets you a visit to the Gala. Who would want to miss that? (actually Kimi says he hates going!)
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Clearhooter

PlatinumZealot wrote: โ†‘
10 Aug 2018, 01:25
Third place nets you a visit to the Gala. (actually Kimi says he hates going!)
Kimi would. They put so much pressure on the poor guy to be the life of the party.

Brenton

Big Tea wrote: โ†‘
05 Aug 2018, 15:46
It matters a lot to the drivers, as it appears in the 'headline'. No one knows who came 4th, 5th, or 6th unless they look it up. The podium is the headline.
Sorry, I meant 3rd place in the WDC, responding to the OP discussing the "fight for third" in WDC.

Big Tea

16 Aug 2018, 22:45
Big Tea wrote: โ†‘
05 Aug 2018, 15:46
Sorry, I meant 3rd place in the WDC, responding to the OP discussing the "fight for third" in WDC.
OK, with you now
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.