2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:25
I still can’t get over Raikkonen having the stones to make Ferrari spell it out like that.
Kimi is always like that, man of few words, don’t sweet talk it, just say it. It is in his mindset/way of life.

I don’t think we need to read anything in to it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The big difference, Shrieker, is that race was on the proper track, not this short karting track version...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach
Sevach

Bill_Kar wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:48
Harvester wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:44
In my opinion, very bad Ferarri strategy. They simply had to let Vettel pass Rai earlier. I completely agree with what Vettel was saying "What are we waiting for?" Vettel could build bigger lead on Hamilton and Bottas and when rain starded he could have been in a much more relaxed situation and there was high chance he wouldn't have made the mistake.
I didn't get that too. It was plain stupid, like Bahrain last year with Mercedes.
It's what make the team orders row so stupid, they didn't worry about protecting Vettel from the Kimi undercut then got all scared cat about making the call.

You can't have both things, either you make sure Vettel keeps his lead, or you get on the job right away.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Sieper wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:58
Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:25
I still can’t get over Raikkonen having the stones to make Ferrari spell it out like that.
Kimi is always like that, man of few words, don’t sweet talk it, just say it. It is in his mindset/way of life.

I don’t think we need to read anything in to it.
He’s never needed more than his Chief engineer to make him play ball before.

Vettel165

It still hurts now in the night, that race was the real nightmare, the worst race as a Vettel fan since Valencia 2012 and Korea 2010. Oh the pain is unbearable, like the hearth was taken away from me. Cant we have a solid season without any major issues. It will be an absolute miracle if we will win the title this year (I lost all the hope, I know its early but still, Hamilton will take WDC with ease now, he has the major psychological advantage now). Seb has to stop making his major mistakes, the car is very good. But Hamilton this year he is very good, better than Seb, and doesnt crumble under pressure. Whats up with Seb really in his RBR years he was always fantastic while in the lead, something has changed.

NathanOlder

Yeah someone has a car that is at least equal and isn't as rubbish as Webber was.
Something similar last season I believe.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

F1Krof

Vettel165 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 22:11
It still hurts now in the night, that race was the real nightmare, the worst race as a Vettel fan since Valencia 2012 and Korea 2010. Oh the pain is unbearable, like the hearth was taken away from me. Cant we have a solid season without any major issues. It will be an absolute miracle if we will win the title this year (I lost all the hope, I know its early but still, Hamilton will take WDC with ease now, he has the major psychological advantage now). Seb has to stop making his major mistakes, the car is very good. But Hamilton this year he is very good, better than Seb, and doesnt crumble under pressure. Whats up with Seb really in his RBR years he was always fantastic while in the lead, something has changed.
No worries man, if Mercedes doesn't find the 'magic' thing Ferrari found on the engine side, eventually Seb will take a streak of back to back victories. Hungary is good for Ferrari, while Mercedes will probably be even behind Red Bull. You've got Belgium & Monza, two power hungry tracks where Ferrari has the upper hand. Then we have US & Abu Dhabi, power hungry tracks where Ferrari will shine. Then you have tracks like Singapore & Mexico ... do I need to say more?

And frankly I don't see Mercedes beating Ferrari at any track from this point on (if they don't turn around with the engine trick).

It's like 2017 in reverse. Yeah Vettel held the battle as best as he could but eventually the Hamilton got the streak, they had the best car overall and that's how they won. Now you see, Hamilton won 4 races, two of them on luck. So, I would be at ease if I was a Ferrari fan.
Wroom wroom

Shrieker

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:59
The big difference, Shrieker, is that race was on the proper track, not this short karting track version...
Hah, I thought someone might bring it to that :D
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Unc1eM0nty

I can't understand all the complaining about Ferrari's tactics, why they didn't make Kimi move over earlier.

The fact is Vettel did get past, he was clear air with no one breathing down his neck and bins it, what a waste of time

poolboy67

to me ferraris reasoning on taking raikkonen in so early, was clear.
ferrari took a gamble on the rain coming in by the time kimi would have to change for new tyres anyway. but that got delayed and delayed as the rain never really came.
i think ferrari genuinely wanted the best for kimi, whilst still taking a gamble with his strategy. they took the safe way with vettel.
however, they were too late to admit that kimis strategy was not working and that was hurting vettel's strategy, but only a little.
i think they shat their pants when vettel started complaining about it. i think that's why jock clear felt specifically he had to give the order to kimi.

kimi would've most likely retained his lead if everyone would've had to change to inters, kimi included ofcourse.

very interesting that hamilton didn't get penalized from crossing the pit lane entry and getting back on the race track. rules are clear on it and people have been penalized for much less obvious infractions of that line.
maybe the stewards were too scared to admit their fault? i could understand if they wanted to avoid a shitstorm from penalizing him after the race. but it doesn't make it right.

what ultimately caused both williams' and alonso to dnf? i missed those.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

Those damn 17 points again. Small mistakes are really painful for Vettel this year: Ver in China, overtake in Baku, qualy in Austria, now Germany. I still hope the final justice over the season will be on the red side.

FrukostScones

They pitted RAI to keep him in Front of HAM. They didn't pit VET to cover the rain risk and to make it a secure one stop if had stayed dry. They should have moved RAI imediately out of the way. Made absolutely no sense.
HAM was incoming Very fast on the US during mixed conditions. If VET would not have binned it, HAM might still have won.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LM10
LM10

Vettel165 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 22:11
I can understand your pain, but as we have witnessed in a spectacular way today anything can happen. Instead of Vettel extending his lead we saw Hamilton luckily clinging it with a 17 points gap, making it his second lucky win this year.

I feel bad for Vettel. I don’t know if it was the pressure. It’s a bit of a weird situation because in Qualifying he’s been exceptional and didn’t really show nervous manners this year. However, in the races he surely needs to shut off the mistakes.

It’s halftime yet and there still are many races. Ferrari has a very competitive car. The team should keep on doing what they have done until now. Heads down and focus, especially Vettel.

jz11
jz11

poolboy67 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 22:38
very interesting that hamilton didn't get penalized from crossing the pit lane entry and getting back on the race track. rules are clear on it and people have been penalized for much less obvious infractions of that line.
maybe the stewards were too scared to admit their fault? i could understand if they wanted to avoid a shitstorm from penalizing him after the race. but it doesn't make it right.
he better win the championship this year with more than 7 points advantage over Seb...

LM10
LM10

What’s the official explanation on why Hamilton wasn’t penalized for an action which clearly needs to be penalized?

Would also love to hear the opinion of Susie Wolff, Coulthard and some other british media people who freaked out last time when in their opinion 10 sec for Kimi were not enough. What’s their opinion this time? I’m kind of glad I didn’t watch or hear it, though, and I’m not going to do it as I’m sure it’s complete biased nonsense.
Last edited by LM10 on 22 Jul 2018, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.