Aero Changes at Monza

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Aero Changes at Monza

hmmm well I'm eating away my article content for the post-GP review of Monza, but anyway... :lol:

look what I've seen on the McLaren...

See the exhausts? They are seemingly testing with Renault - Ferrari exhausts (well also from other teams, but the list would be too long). The sidepod is now a little lower..

Ferrari announced lots of changes, but I can't find any until now... we'll see ;)

akbar21881
akbar21881

yeah i have been staring at all ferrari pictures at monza test and still couldn't pick anything different on their car.

Mclaren now is using a sidepod design principle that was followed by every teams now.It looks something like MP4-18 somehow.So mclaren has decided to use that kind of exhaust now.

But it seems that the new-shaped mclaren is being tested only by Alex Wurz.Coulthard,who set the fastest time yesterday was using a different looking Mclaren.Old spec?

drspeed
drspeed

I still dont quite understand why those exhaust chimneys are credited as Ferrari's original when it clearly is Jordans!

I too noticed alot of changes on the 17D. The engine cowl took alot of features from the 18A. And dont those tires look thin compared to those used by Mclaren in previous races?
This pic shows the narrowed rear from the 18A as well as a very, very slim air box.
It seems to me that there are small winglets attached on this bargeboard. Not so clear though.

akbar21881
akbar21881

why mclaren sprayed green paint on their car. if you see the pic in f1racing.net, the front wing endplates in green sprayed too.Do they trying to confuse people abt their new modification,ie make it less visible?

what is the thing at the mclaren sidepod, the thing that looks like air outlet,in front of winglet? looks like weirdly shaped air duct?

still waiting for ferrari pic. can't wait to see if there is any obvious modification.

drspeed
drspeed

That green stuff over the Mclaren is suppose to indicate the airflow of the car. They use these because the data recorded from wind tunnels can sometimes be flawed in real life situations. For example, wind tunnels dont test winds blowing from the side!

akbar21881
akbar21881

another thing that i can picked up, sauber also has a much lower engine cover.

but ferrari is still the same-looking.another thing that i'm confused, why ferrari still bother testing with f2002?? no other team is using their old contender anymore.F2003 that is at monza seems to have bargeboard pre-silverstone.hmm..

drspeed
drspeed

Considering that Ferrari invited Luciano Burti to test for them for a single day, i think it makes sense to let out an F2002 for him to develop tires. The GA is after all too new for an outsider to have a run in it.

I think the reason is that they only have 3 GAs. Ferrari have used the F2002 to test tires in the past as they usually test with 4 drivers.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

the green stuff is some kind of oil.....(there's something about that oil in the August issue of Racecar engineering mag...from 2002 (if i'm not mistaken)).
It's used to study the wind flow

Annonimous
Annonimous

New aero package and a new fuel for Williams

I've heard that Williams is testing in Monza a quite new aero package and a revolutionary fuel for 2004. Members from rivals have seen two diferent type of drums there with fuel from south america.