Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

e30ernest

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Moore77 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 19:32
I am sure people would have said the same when Clark (qualifying) and Fangio (WDC) created those records. It was said when Schumacher bettered those records and people will say this when Hamilton will create them. Records are meant to be broken and there will be an era where another driver who would better them! Regardless of whichever form the F1 is going to be in future, there will be someone who will break that. It happens in all sports.
I'll play devil's advocate here. I think the current field of drivers is among the most competitive today, especially at the top. Give Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell and Norris equal machinery and they'll be taking wins (and championships) from each other. Unless one of them gets a dominant car, we won't see a string of championships like Lewis has now.

I agree with Pedro de la Rosa that the newer generation of drivers will always be better than the one that preceded them. For example, when Schumacher entered the sport, he was probably one of the fittest drivers out there. Even Pat Symmonds said that when Senna started, he was nowhere fit enough to drive a Formula 1 car at race distance. Schumacher changed all that and I think that was also a part of his domination. He also built a team around him, something today's best drivers try to do as well.

Hamilton is similar to Schumacher in that he was among the first "bred" race drivers (sponsored by a team at a young age). He virtually grew up around racing. Now today's drivers are similar to that too.

Lastly, I think F1 is in its last legs. F1 as it is now is becoming less and less relevant to car manufacturers. I think Formula E will eventually surpass F1 as the premier motorsport. I think this gives drivers less time to dominate in the same way Hamilton and Schumacher did.

ENGINE TUNER

Vettel has more chips, wins and poles than Alonso, is there anyone that thinks Vettel is or was at anytime a better driver than Alonso? I don't know anyone knowledgeable in F1 that would claim Vettel is better. My point is that the numbers are deceiving. After watching every race from 1980 at least 3 times I have come to the conclusion that Since 1980 the best driver has been Hamilton, followed by Senna(who could have been better if he survived), followed by Schumacher. Another group including Prost, Alonso, great drivers but not exceptionally fast. Incomplete champs like Piquet, mansell, button, vettel and hill.

Moore77

dans79 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 22:26
Wass85 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 22:03
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 21:58
Yes, Schumachers records will be broken.
Oh sorry, I was replying to the actual topic, instead of answering a question where you are clearly trying to troll about Lewis.
It was a genuine question to any sensible Hamilton fans.
We can see how you always stick to the topic so please get off your high horse.
If you don't like the question don't answer it really is that simple. 👍
perhaps, you could just ask a question without the need for special qualifiers.
"Question for the Hamilton fanatics" & "sensible Hamilton fans" reads a lot like an attempt at trolling.
It applies to "fanatics". Isn't it? Why should anyone else feel offended and feel being trolled?
NoDivergence wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 02:27
Wass85 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Oh sorry, I was replying to the actual topic,
How about option C where he retires when he's bored of winning 10 WDCs in a row and still leaves on a high?
It also means, Bottas continues in Mercedes for the next 3 years! What was the longest a lapdog has served before?
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Wass85

NoDivergence wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 02:27
Wass85 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Oh sorry, I was replying to the actual topic,

How about option C where he retires when he's bored of winning 10 WDCs in a row and still leaves on a high?
That's the same as option A) he retires on a high yet the car is good enough to take the title the following season.

Manoah2u

Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 00:42
Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 00:11
Wass85 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 22:44

Should I have shortened fanatics to fans?

No in all seriousness what would you prefer?

I would sooner leave at the top tbh but then it would rile me seeing someone else when the title in a Mercedes.

I do think I could handle that better than seeing him bested by someone fair and square.
concidering how he's been replying too in the Merc thread, the haterism/trolling really is obvious.
Thanks, yes he has been tbh but I'm not one to point it out.
are you for real? i'm literally talking about YOU
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wass85

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 12:39
Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 00:42
Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 00:11

concidering how he's been replying too in the Merc thread, the haterism/trolling really is obvious.
Thanks, yes he has been tbh but I'm not one to point it out.
are you for real? i'm literally talking about YOU
Stop trolling please.

If you can't answer my questions without resorting to trolling it's best you don't say anything at all.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
something like this would have been more than enough! The question need no special qualifiers, or build in negatives.
Would people rather see Hamilton retire on a high by doing so after winning the title, or when he looses the title?

Wass85 wrote:
Honestly, I don't care one way or another!
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 13:43
Wass85 wrote:
something like this would have been more than enough! The question need no special qualifiers, or build in negatives.
Would people rather see Hamilton retire on a high by doing so after winning the title, or when he looses the title?

Wass85 wrote:
Honestly, I don't care one way or another!
The likely scenario is one of those will come in to fruition though.

Mercedes will be a serious force in every title challenge IMO so if he retires after winning a title the chances are he will be giving up the chance to add another to his tally and if he chooses to stay on it's inevitable at some point the torched will be passed on to someone else.

El Scorchio

There will come a time when either he loses his edge or just doesn’t want to do it any more. He can break all the records and rack up win after win but someday he will physically or mentally not be able to do it at the very top any longer. If they are still a force in 2022 he may carry on a season or two but if they aren’t I see him calling it a day. I don’t see him wanting to pull a Raikkonen and trundle round in the midfield.

Just_a_fan

2 more to go. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

Aaaaah another Grand Slam lost right on the last lap! Lewis would have equaled Clark by now...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Wass85

If Merc continue to be this dominant and they stick with a safe pair of hands for their number 2 the question is how many wins can Hamilton amass? Is 150 wins possible, I wouldn't put it past him.

ringo

Lets compare the career of both in terms of the competitiveness of the each of the cars they drove over the years.

MS
Jordan: 91,
Benetton: 91,92,93,94*,95*,
Ferrari: 98,99,00*,01*,02*,03*,04*,05,06
Mercedes: 2010-2012

LH
Mclaren: 2007,2008*,2009,2010,2011,2012
Mercedes: 2013,2014*,2015*,2016,2017*2018*2019*,2020
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 16:12
There will come a time when either he loses his edge or just doesn’t want to do it any more. He can break all the records and rack up win after win but someday he will physically or mentally not be able to do it at the very top any longer. If they are still a force in 2022 he may carry on a season or two but if they aren’t I see him calling it a day. I don’t see him wanting to pull a Raikkonen and trundle round in the midfield.
Maybe at age 44? That would be an appropriate age to retire.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Moore77

AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 17:15
Aaaaah another Grand Slam lost right on the last lap! Lewis would have equaled Clark by now...
The art of throwing a fragile car with almost no safety characteristics around at the fastest possible speed on tracks that have no safety mechanisms to stop the cars, where on an average weekend 2 drivers used to die IS EQUAL TO the safest cars on the planet currently. Yes, the records are indeed surpass-able.

The reason why people used to be enthralled of motor racing, was to see humans flirting with death with an almost certainty that they never walk alive. To be respectful to those daredevils, their records should never be considered as broken by current generation of drivers and cars. It's a true tribute.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.