Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

dans79

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Wass85 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:40
dans79 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:34
Wass85 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:24

That just tells me the new parts were quicker?
If you can't tell from the video that the car was unstable by the fact that the rear stepped out in turn 7 in the dry, then you are just wasting everyone's time!
Cars sometimes do that in practice.
An aerodynamically stable car does not step out in an easily flat corner. The only thing that's going to cause an issue like that in turn 7, is aero instability or a mechanical failure. Since he didn't spear of the track, we know it wasn't a mechanical failure!
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:48
Wass85 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:40
dans79 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:34

If you can't tell from the video that the car was unstable by the fact that the rear stepped out in turn 7 in the dry, then you are just wasting everyone's time!
Cars sometimes do that in practice.
An aerodynamically stable car does not step out in an easily flat corner. The only thing that's going to cause an issue like that in turn 7, is aero instability or a mechanical failure. Since he didn't spear of the track, we know it wasn't a mechanical failure!
Hamilton had a bad day at the office, it happens.

He's always been good in the wet but since he's stepped in the Mercedes he's become much more consistent.

Wynters

Moore77 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:36
Wynters wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 16:10

Quite right, I did. Should have remembered Kimi, for a start. Villeneuve, of course, was a stand in driver at the end of a season for what, 3 races?
Kimi and Villeneuve?

That's actually hilarious :lol:
Why?
I was very specific about 'in their prime. Both drivers were 7 years past their wins, had spent time outside of F1 and were shadows of their former selves when Alonso beat them. Villeneuve, in particular, was dropped into the car with only three races to go in the season, having spent the year with his feet up on couch, and left the team immediately afterwards.

aral

This thread has descended once again into personal spats between a couple of contributors. It has also gone totally off topic, coupled with insults etc, both personal and against drivers.
Have a look at the title of the thread and please try to comment solely on that. If you want to fight, please do it elsewhere.

Wass85

What's crazy about Schumacher is how close he was to winning a few more, he would have certainly won the 99 title had he not broken his leg.

NathanOlder

Wass85 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 19:12
What's crazy about Schumacher is how close he was to winning a few more, he would have certainly won the 99 title had he not broken his leg.
Yeah very true. I think 99 could have been his, but at the same time 94 wasn't his.
The guy trying to steal his records could have easily had 3 more. 07 (should have been his easy but for the last 2 crazy races) 10 and 12 could have been his, I think if Mclaren had focused and backed 1 driver in those 2 years, they could have won both Lewis or Jenson. And obviously 16 should have been his. We could easily be looking at 10 title this year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 19:39
The guy trying to steal his records could have easily had 3 more. 07 (should have been his easy but for the last 2 crazy races) 10 and 12 could have been his, I think if Mclaren had focused and backed 1 driver in those 2 years, they could have won both Lewis or Jenson. And obviously 16 should have been his. We could easily be looking at 10 title this year.
I don't know about 10, but 12 could have been his and I don't think he needed any form of special backing. The main issue was the team had far to many operational and technical issues. My favorite was Whitmarsh saying they didn't know why the car was as fast as it was, because in simulations it was significantly slower. ](*,)

2016 should have been his, and it's 100% on him that he didn't take it. He should have spent far more time working with his engineers, and in the simulator to address issue with the new starting rules.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 19:39
Wass85 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 19:12
Yeah very true. I think 99 could have been his, but at the same time 94 wasn't his.
I'll never get over 2007, what the hell were the team doing letting stay out whilst losing that amount of time?

This version of Hamilton would have easily controlled the race instead of needlessly burning through his tyres.

The team should take most of the blame but I can't believe he didn't have the sense to box, the tyres were down to the canvas ffs.

flynfrog

locked while I clean up