2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
subcritical71

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:53
subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:43
GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:49
The car wasn't perfectly horizontal, where space to get out would have been most limited. Rather it was hanging on the tyre wall at something like 30-40 degrees. So if we apply a little trigonometry, Hulk would have been able to get out unaided without the halo by simply moving sideways, at an angle to the roll hoop.
Looking at this image;

https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dyna ... ab229744d7
It looks like he should have been able to get out. Actually plenty of gap exists. Looks like the side bolster is laying on the ground. Might be good to hear what Hulk had to say afterwards. He may have just preferred to stay put until it was flipped over instead of unbuckling and coming crashing down.
You can see the halo just below his helmet in that photo. It obstructs the room that Hulk would have been able to squeeze through, except with flexible head and helmet :wtf: . There's no way he would get out with the halo. Without? Yes.
I'm not sure if your looking at the same halo as me. The helmet is already outside of the area of the halo, seems like more than enough room for a F1 driver to squirm his way out. I'm actually a bit surprised how far out of the seat he is in that photo. If the car had come to rest on the roll hoop I would agree that there would be no way for him to get out, but that's not the purpose of the roll hoop. Having the rear wheels holding up the car definitely helped in this situation.

I did read that Hulkenberg wasn't sure if he could get out or not. His statement seemed to indicate that this was a bit disoriented as this was his first time upside;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/911287/1/ ... lipped-car

Edit: you know what, I just had a better look. I was mistaking the intake as his helmet so my proportions were a bit off. That would have been a tight squeeze! Lets hope there is a lessons learned performed after this one.

NathanOlder

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

Whats the exact diameter of a modern Helmet ? Just look at the wheel rims , those 13 inch rims look massive compared to the gaps around the halo! A current helmet cant be far off 13 inches ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:30
Exactly. The Halo kept him in the car today.

I just want the people that told me otherwise to realise they are wrong. I know the Halo outweighs the negatives, but I want the people who kept showing me time and time again that the FIA video was showing an easy escape , were totally wrong .
I was wrong in that regard.

Andres125sx

Who care about the race? Alonso is out... :cry: :cry:

Great respect for/by Hamilton and Vettel, that formation lap with the three world champions was emotive =D>

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 21:12
Who care about the race? Alonso is out... :cry: :cry:

Great respect for/by Hamilton and Vettel, that formation lap with the three world champions was emotive =D>
There were 11 WDC titles in that little group alone! We might never see anything like it again.
It was a fitting send off for a truly talented driver like Alonso.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 20:42
GrandAxe wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:43

Looking at this image;

https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dyna ... ab229744d7
It looks like he should have been able to get out. Actually plenty of gap exists. Looks like the side bolster is laying on the ground. Might be good to hear what Hulk had to say afterwards. He may have just preferred to stay put until it was flipped over instead of unbuckling and coming crashing down.
You can see the halo just below his helmet in that photo. It obstructs the room that Hulk would have been able to squeeze through, except with flexible head and helmet :wtf: . There's no way he would get out with the halo. Without? Yes.
Edit: you know what, I just had a better look. I was mistaking the intake as his helmet so my proportions were a bit off. That would have been a tight squeeze! Lets hope there is a lessons learned performed after this one.
Its an easy mistake to make mate. I hope there'll be a review too.

Juzh

BazingaF1 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 11:44
Do you have HAM alone too?
Juzh wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 10:56
BazingaF1 wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 19:31
Hey Juzh, do you have the footage of the pole lap and of the last run by VET, obviously with telemetry? :twisted:
https://streamable.com/sumee
https://streamable.com/i0a2e

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Pretty scary seeing a driver trapped in a burning car, maybe the halo needs a rethink? The marshalls at Abu Dhabi also didn't appear to be particularly well trained when trying to move stopped cars.

Big Tea

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 21:39
subcritical71 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

Anyone know, can the driver remove the HANS while in the car (inverted)?
If not, the head and neck can not bend to 'duck out' below the bar, can it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

I think the Halo is better than no Halo. His head was protected by the Halo. I can imagine if there was a gravel trap or the corner of the tyres or fence, and it could have easily intruded into the cockpit and hit the driver.
He may have been able to come out of that gap but was maybe unsure of what would happen if the seat belts were undone.
For Sure!!

notsofast
notsofast

Diesel wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 22:13
The marshalls at Abu Dhabi also didn't appear to be particularly well trained when trying to move stopped cars.
Yes. Wasn't it Gasly who parked his car directly in front of an opening? It should have taken just a few seconds to push that car through it and out of the way. And wasn't it Ocon who parked his car on the pit entry lane? The marshalls weren't able to push the car with Ocon in it, but after he stepped out, they finally got it moving. Surely Ocon doesn't add that much weight to the car? :lol:

bosyber
bosyber

To be fair, sort of, Ocon helped by re-pressing that 'neutral' button on top of his chassis in front of the cockpit :)
And also, apparently, from hearing Sky's Martin Brunlde say so on F1TV, they also got Kimi's car into the gap there with a three-point-turn, which he thought was quite amazing with these cars, so it wasn't all bad!

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 22:56
GrandAxe wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:

All HANS devices I’ve seen (and used) should allow Disconnection from the helmet tethers. Now, being inverted is another matter. You can probably release the tethers to the helmet but not remove the HANS itself until after the belts have been undone and then you sitting on your head at that point!

Big Tea

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 23:38
Big Tea wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 22:56
GrandAxe wrote:

All HANS devices I’ve seen (and used) should allow Disconnection from the helmet tethers. Now, being inverted is another matter. You can probably release the tethers to the helmet but not remove the HANS itself until after the belts have been undone and then you sitting on your head at that point!
That was my thought ( but never used one, they are way too new for me). So if I understand the concept, the 'unit' has to be lifted a considerable distance above (or below) the drivers head to pass the shoulder and neck? This then rules out "worming" out through the gap in the HALO.

Not saying the HALO is bad, and I also realise that now it has been introduced it will never be withdrawn as some important reputations rest on it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

ringo wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 22:57
I think the Halo is better than no Halo. His head was protected by the Halo. I can imagine if there was a gravel trap or the corner of the tyres or fence, and it could have easily intruded into the cockpit and hit the driver.
He may have been able to come out of that gap but was maybe unsure of what would happen if the seat belts were undone.
I am, or rather id say, was a halo hater, but now we have it it is more save. In this very race in the FIA intro movie we saw Michael Schumacher almost get beheaded (after doing a 180 and getting hit by an oncomer) this is the most likely scenario where the halo would help fantasticly. Also, maybe it should have explosive bolts, so it can be jettisoned in case of upside down in an on fire car and no stewards there yet. But this is all rather off topic.