2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

The cape was last the last piece in the puzzle floor was brought in Hungary and some bits in Germany and another in spa but was no any noticeable performance gains

Sieper

McMika98 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 07:34
People are giving way too much credit to the cape. That is not the main reason for the Ferrari resurgence, they have a new floor with update diffuser and have increased the rake as well. Thats where they have made gains. Its probably their 4th floor for this year but now have hit the jackpot. Plz stop quoting the cape non sense.
F1Tv has done a great technical feature with Rob Smedly on Merc vs Ferrari comparison. RedBull this year have been slower in slow speed and only as good in medium speed corners. The car is just a handful to drive. Max said that he was happy with balance in Friday and topped the sheets immediately but then crashed in FP3 which didnt help quali performance.
He missed turn 2 and drove over that mid turn small kurb, the car flew into the air (4 wheels loose). The bottom was damaged (he took that kerb directly in the middle of the car) and as he tried to continue (hoping it was still OK) he had no underfloor flow anymore and as a result spun in turn 13 in that very same lap. He barely touched the tecpro barrier. Immediately went in and replaced the floor. This had no effect on the later qualy at all I would say. He just searched for the limit in turn 2.

loner

from last week article with Exxon's Tsurusaki
In other words, the new fuel that will be introduced to the Japanese Grand Prix has been developed so that the qualifying mode can be used for a longer period of time rather than improving the horsepower in one qualifying round.
“Engine 11, Position 5”, where the engineer gave instructions to the driver over the air at this year's Austrian Grand Prix. I hope to hear that radio again in Suzuka.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2019 ... 4-rcg-moto
if they can do so in the last 5 races that would be major boost.
para bellum.

HPD

It seems that Mercedes is assuring Lando Norris for the future (if the rumor is true).
With Charles Leclerc at Ferrari, it seems that Max has no choice but to continue on the RB Honda project.
This is good, we need stability with the pilots.

HPD

In the last GP of Sochi, the Tokyo House has provided all the drivers with modifications to reduce the gap between Ferrari and Mercedes. For a technical choice not all the power has been made available so as not to stress too much a new and still fragile mechanism, which according to rumors should be a considerable qualitative leap. Some results have been seen, but also several problems.
https://www.newsf1.it/honda-e-red-bull- ... -nel-2019/
"I have carelessly predicted five victories and I am still positive that we will achieve that," says Marko on 'ServusTV'.
What makes Marko confident about it? "We're getting new fuel," explains Marko, describing it as "crucial" to the prospects of his racing team. "We hope for a significant gain."
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... e-19100302

Datco
Datco

HPD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:15
It seems that Mercedes is assuring Lando Norris for the future (if the rumor is true).
With Charles Leclerc at Ferrari, it seems that Max has no choice but to continue on the RB Honda project.
I also see RBR as the best home for Max though they do need to do better with development and starting the season strongly. But....
Don't under estimate Toto. Max is the hottest property now. He will either try to get max if he thinks Lewis will retire in the next few years or use max to negotiate Lewis next contract. If none of the above and RBR becomes a threat he will still have talks to destabilize RBR. I see next year being quite distracting and destabilizing for RBR.

Datco
Datco

McMika98 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 07:34
People are giving way too much credit to the cape. That is not the main reason for the Ferrari resurgence, they have a new floor with update diffuser and have increased the rake as well. Thats where they have made gains. Its probably their 4th floor for this year but now have hit the jackpot. Plz stop quoting the cape non sense.
F1Tv has done a great technical feature with Rob Smedly on Merc vs Ferrari comparison. RedBull this year have been slower in slow speed and only as good in medium speed corners. The car is just a handful to drive. Max said that he was happy with balance in Friday and topped the sheets immediately but then crashed in FP3 which didnt help quali performance.
Wow. For the first time I agree with everything you say. I would add this is a comming together following many failed updates from Ferrari over the past couple years. I really admire them for keeping their heads from the start of the season. They could have used their low drag and powerful PU to just add more downforce. Instead they took their time to add efficient downforce and now have the best of both worlds.
As for RBR it would appear its a diva to get the most out of it following both Gasly and Albon not matching Max's pace.

Sieper

Both Gasly and Albon are talented drivers. Albon I think even more then Gasly but hard to call. Max is extremely talented and has been in F1 for five years (almost) now. In those 5 years he improved further.

Last years qualifying deficiency to Riccardo was on average 0.45 seconds. So on average Max was always quicker by almost a half a second to a top driver like Ricciardo over 21 tracks. I don't actually know how much the gap to Gasly was this year, I guesstimate around 0.8 of a second? and I think the gap to Albon (give him a few races) might even be below 0.8

So is it so weird that they have this gap? Is it really a sign of a hard car to drive (A bit probably, especially if the underfloor flow gets disturbed (bumpy track, wind gusts) as RB with its high rake seems to make the floor work hard, but this will not always be dependently consistent (there has to be a trade off or else all would go for high rake) or is it just "normal" that they are behind Max (unless the are equally talented and experienced, which certainly for the latter part they simply cannot be yet)

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 17:55
Both Gasly and Albon are talented drivers. Albon I think even more then Gasly but hard to call. Max is extremely talented and has been in F1 for five years (almost) now. In those 5 years he improved further.

Last years qualifying deficiency to Riccardo was on average 0.45 seconds. So on average Max was always quicker by almost a half a second to a top driver like Ricciardo over 21 tracks. I don't actually know how much the gap to Gasly was this year, I guesstimate around 0.8 of a second? and I think the gap to Albon (give him a few races) might even be below 0.8

So is it so weird that they have this gap? Is it really a sign of a hard car to drive (A bit probably, especially if the underfloor flow gets disturbed (bumpy track, wind gusts) as RB with its high rake seems to make the floor work hard, but this will not always be dependently consistent (there has to be a trade off or else all would go for high rake) or is it just "normal" that they are behind Max (unless the are equally talented and experienced, which certainly for the latter part they simply cannot be yet)
VER is known for his superior reflexes and braking abilities. I think he is very good at finding where the absolute limit is. And he shows that he can go fast with or without a stable backend of the car (which is still the biggest flaw of RB15 if you ask me). Difficult to pin point where the differences lie. We should see for instance a qualifying lap comparison between VER and Gasly and VER and Albon to see for differences. Might be interesting though.
RIC was in his best days much closer, look for instance Mexico last year where he caught VER by surprise in his last qualy run.

McMika98
McMika98

TNTHead wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 21:02
Sieper wrote:

Last years qualifying deficiency to Riccardo was on average 0.45 seconds. So on average Max was always quicker by almost a half a second to a top driver like Ricciardo over 21 tracks. I think the gap to Albon (give him a few races) might even be below 0.8
VER is known for his superior reflexes and braking abilities. I think he is very good at finding where the absolute limit is. And he shows that he can go fast with or without a stable backend of the car (which is still the biggest flaw of RB15 if you ask me).
Give Albon few races and he will match Max on a daily basis and better yet produce more ppints than Max. His racecraft is top notch, fair but respectful and not pushing drivers off track.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McMika98 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 21:10
TNTHead wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Last years qualifying deficiency to Riccardo was on average 0.45 seconds. So on average Max was always quicker by almost a half a second to a top driver like Ricciardo over 21 tracks. I think the gap to Albon (give him a few races) might even be below 0.8
VER is known for his superior reflexes and braking abilities. I think he is very good at finding where the absolute limit is. And he shows that he can go fast with or without a stable backend of the car (which is still the biggest flaw of RB15 if you ask me).
Give Albon few races and he will match Max on a daily basis and better yet produce more ppints than Max. His racecraft is top notch, fair but respectful and not pushing drivers off track.
Imagine being this delusional. Now I understand your score.

Gasly and Albon are both average talents, but Verstappen is simply amazing. He completely destroyed Ricciardo last year and made him leave to Renault. If Red Bull wanted a good and reliable driver next to Verstappen, they should have picked Sainz.

Sieper

TNTHead wrote:
Sieper wrote:

VER is known for his superior reflexes and braking abilities. I think he is very good at finding where the absolute limit is. And he shows that he can go fast with or without a stable backend of the car (which is still the biggest flaw of RB15 if you ask me). Difficult to pin point where the differences lie. We should see for instance a qualifying lap comparison between VER and Gasly and VER and Albon to see for differences. Might be interesting though.
RIC was in his best days much closer, look for instance Mexico last year where he caught VER by surprise in his last qualy run.
Yes, he can be very good and determined, that was always Ricciardo,s main strongpoint. But still, the gap of 0,45 was an average. So If he is faster by 0,01 in Mexico he is also slower by 0,91 somewhere else. I think Albon will likely be able to grow closer then that. Lets see. But I agree, Max has a feel for a car that is almost/maybe unsurpassed.

mclaren113
mclaren113

RonDennis wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 23:34
McMika98 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 21:10
TNTHead wrote:

He completely destroyed Ricciardo last year and made him leave to Renault. If Red Bull wanted a good and reliable driver next to Verstappen, they should have picked Sainz.
Lol the reliability destroyed ric not max

loner

HPD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:15
isn't G.Russell their hot prospect?!!
HPD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:35
In the last GP of Sochi, the Tokyo House has provided all the drivers with modifications to reduce the gap between Ferrari and Mercedes. For a technical choice not all the power has been made available so as not to stress too much a new and still fragile mechanism, which according to rumors should be a considerable qualitative leap. Some results have been seen, but also several problems.
https://www.newsf1.it/honda-e-red-bull- ... -nel-2019/
thnx for the link
after reading it and how Max was very competitive in fp2 i got the feeling they hinted that Honda dialed back the power in Saturday due to problems which i assume the new fuel that will manage the knock effect and lead to sizable jump in power,we shall know next Saturday and Sunday.
para bellum.

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 23:43

Yes, he can be very good and determined, that was always Ricciardo,s main strongpoint. But still, the gap of 0,45 was an average. So If he is faster by 0,01 in Mexico he is also slower by 0,91 somewhere else. I think Albon will likely be able to grow closer then that. Lets see. But I agree, Max has a feel for a car that is almost/maybe unsurpassed.
Agreed. For me the ability to go fast in the wet shows also the difference between talented and highly talented drivers, although the amount of downforce and balance helps a lot. In that regard Stroll is surprising me, not regarded as gifted with much talent, but he is good in the wet. I regard HAM and VER quite equal in car control.