2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

HPD wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 19:23
Interesting the comment of @Mateo22 in relation to the gearbox.
User of the autosport forum.
I don't want to name drop or pretend I'm some kind of insider, but when I was at the test I paid for the opportunity to go inside the Red Bull garage on Day 6 at about 3:30. It was right at the time that they were changing the gearbox on Verstappen's car which was lucky for me.

While I was in the garage I had a chat to Jos. Max is happy, and they know they have a good car. But for them, they don't think they can win the first few races. They're holding out for a few things to come (not sure whether it's Honda or aero), but the important thing is to make a good start. They will be happy with podiums or even top 4 finishes which is a change of approach from last year where what happened to Max was out of frustration Jos said. We spoke a little more about Max's driving style etc and he won't be changing anytime soon, and neither should he. Jos was great to talk to and he gave me the time as well which was really nice of him.

The gearbox on the Red Bull had an oil leak which they couldn't spot from the outside. The gearbox had done 2300km which i guess is about half what it is required to do so they weren't too happy but that's testing.
So, my question is. If Jos say that they will be happy with podiums or top 4 finish, why they keep saying that the gap is closed, and are par with the other 2 teams? Jos is being cautious, or they want to keep the team morale up, or what? It's all confusing... #-o

TwanV
TwanV

Not really, if they're on par with Mercedes battling for the podium and Ferrari is ahead that basically surpasses expectations as set at the closure of last year. Max vs. Lewis in fair battles are what I look forward to see, let's hope that the whispers after testing are accurate. There will be blood but I think there is some mutual respect there, should be a lot of fun.

godlameroso

Ferrari can and will get caught, they always drop the ball when it comes to in season development. Granted there's no guarantee Red Bull or Honda will make the necessary steps to let their drivers shine(or that Ferrari or Mercedes will stand still), however the structure is in place to give them a fighting chance to take that step. Red Bull focuses on the chassis, Honda focuses on the engine, and together they can collaborate on a very powerful package.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

We will see reality in season. For now I don't see anything to worry about. Even Toro Rosso have a good one lap speed. So Redbull must be better than them. That makes Redbull competitve at qualifying.
They were working on long runs and it was logical to work on especially for Honda. But for the teams too. As you know qualification is not place to get points.
I am hopefull for both Honda powered teams. I am not sure will they do good job at Melbourne but if they can do good job at reguler tracks it is enough. We can see their real performance level in third or fourth race ( I don't count qatar. Toro Rosso was good there last year)

diffuser

NL_Fer wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 19:52
Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 13:44
dxpetrov wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 08:48
I just watched interview with Albon, track side. The kid is ultra intelligent and well composed. High level material for Red Bull team. Just watch it what's gonna happen...

I think more than a few people will be impressed by Albon. I really like this guy thanks to what he've done in the tests. Really fast adaptation, speed and seems to be calm and smart. Matching Kvyat times since day one. Very promising driver line up on STR and future RBR driver :D

Can you imagin the kid was dropped by Marko. Fought back on his own strength, got himself a F2 ride and drove his best to regain Redbull’s interest.
F1 really separates the men from the boys. We'll soon find out if he is really that good or STR just couldn't find anyone else. I give it a 50/50 chance.

diffuser

Marti_EF3 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 20:08
HPD wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 19:23
Interesting the comment of @Mateo22 in relation to the gearbox.
User of the autosport forum.
I don't want to name drop or pretend I'm some kind of insider, but when I was at the test I paid for the opportunity to go inside the Red Bull garage on Day 6 at about 3:30. It was right at the time that they were changing the gearbox on Verstappen's car which was lucky for me.

While I was in the garage I had a chat to Jos. Max is happy, and they know they have a good car. But for them, they don't think they can win the first few races. They're holding out for a few things to come (not sure whether it's Honda or aero), but the important thing is to make a good start. They will be happy with podiums or even top 4 finishes which is a change of approach from last year where what happened to Max was out of frustration Jos said. We spoke a little more about Max's driving style etc and he won't be changing anytime soon, and neither should he. Jos was great to talk to and he gave me the time as well which was really nice of him.

The gearbox on the Red Bull had an oil leak which they couldn't spot from the outside. The gearbox had done 2300km which i guess is about half what it is required to do so they weren't too happy but that's testing.
So, my question is. If Jos say that they will be happy with podiums or top 4 finish, why they keep saying that the gap is closed, and are par with the other 2 teams? Jos is being cautious, or they want to keep the team morale up, or what? It's all confusing... #-o
Magic of F1. They really can't say much...

I've stopped following testing cause you really can't decipher much from what you see on track(not to say I wouldn't love to attend a test sessions). From a distance, as long as they make their 900 laps or so it's good. Still look at the pictures though....

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 00:37
NL_Fer wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 19:52
Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 13:44

I think more than a few people will be impressed by Albon. I really like this guy thanks to what he've done in the tests. Really fast adaptation, speed and seems to be calm and smart. Matching Kvyat times since day one. Very promising driver line up on STR and future RBR driver :D

Can you imagin the kid was dropped by Marko. Fought back on his own strength, got himself a F2 ride and drove his best to regain Redbull’s interest.
F1 really separates the men from the boys. We'll soon find out if he is really that good or STR just couldn't find anyone else. I give it a 50/50 chance.
We see so many " next new best ever champion" that I withhold judgment for at least a season. They come and go each year or two.

TBH, I hope he does make it, he seems like the sort of guy I could get behind.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98
McMika98

Big Tea wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 01:07

We see so many " next new best ever champion" that I withhold judgment for at least a season. They come and go each year or two.

TBH, I hope he does make it, he seems like the sort of guy I could get behind.
At least he is looking solid on a track he knows. All skyf1 cheerleading pundits are raving about Lando and Russell, with no mention of Albon, a brit himself who has come up the hard way with no F1 team backing. My hunch is he will outperform all the rookies and surprise few people. His record on monaco is very good, a podium would not be a surprise.

I just hope we dont see Dan Tantrum anywhere near F1 car in the next few years. Mans got serious issues, needs few humble pies. Dont understand why RedBull are so keen on him and hyping him up.

FW17

Isn't Tictum the guy who gets a free pass from the press even though he purposely rammed another driver after overtaking many cars during a safety car period ?

Godius

TALKING BULL: RBR season preview podcast
On this edition of Talking Bull - the official Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Podcast, our drivers Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly go head to head and interview each other, we speak to Christian Horner about his thoughts on the season ahead plus we have an exclusive track from Red Bull Records by Flawes.
https://redbullracing.redbull.com/artic ... ew-podcast

HPD

Karun Chandhok: I was reliably informed that Honda had found another couple tenths of horsepower in the Qualifying mode over the winter so added to the gains that they had with the version 3 engine, that could bring the Red Bull into play a bit more on Saturdays.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/36347 ... tralian-gp

dren

HPD wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 17:16
Karun Chandhok: I was reliably informed that Honda had found another couple tenths of horsepower in the Qualifying mode over the winter so added to the gains that they had with the version 3 engine, that could bring the Red Bull into play a bit more on Saturdays.

Excellent news if true. Red Bull really needs to qualify better to position itself well at the start.
Honda!

Sayeman

dren wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:27
HPD wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 17:16

Excellent news if true. Red Bull really needs to qualify better to position itself well at the start.
How many tenths have others gained though. Renault has been bragging about huge gains (although they do this sh*t every year only to fall flat)
Never Give up.

dfegan358
dfegan358

I’m convinced Ferrari and Mercedes have found a few tenths in Q3 horsepower also.

Until I see Renault or Honda with real visible party mode performance on track in Q3 I am not going to believe all the speculation about Honda and Renault engine gains.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Could also be that Fer and Merc go down in Q3 hp due to the new empty auxilary oil tank rule for qualifying where as Renault and Honda go up (+ their supposed big gains over the winter).