2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

geogate wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:22
it quite humorous how everyone is making excuses for mclaren being fast...suddenly they got a secrete party mode (but Renault dont seem to), Ricardo says they have some trick development smh
I think Ricciardo was joking about the secret update having seen the interview.

Max is brave to downplay McLaren's potential in the race though. Don't see how it's flattering when they've been there the entire weekend. All it takes is for Lando to slip stream him down the back straight on lap 1, and Max could struggle to repass on track, given the straight line deficit. If Max breaks the tow and keeps clean air then he'll probably edge away over the course of the race, but not by as much as he's insinuating. Hoping for an egg on face scenario! [-o<

_cerber1

mclaren113 wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:10
Did you notice on second 30 that max was all 4 wheels out of the track?
How to report this to the FIA? :o :o :o

geogate
geogate

if that happens, the Chickens will need to work overtime, cos there be a lot of egg on a lot of faces

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:17
Well this is awkward,

https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/22/ver ... g-mclaren/
True, Red Bull are faster; this is not representative. Maybe in other circuits, they will be faster than McLaren and closer to Ferrari. Maybe they will have a better race pace tomorrow. We don’t know all that yet.

But this is plain stupid. How can McLaren have a party mode that Renault don’t have?!!! Sounds as if Verstappen genuinely feels concerned...because only when you are tense do you start blabbering like this.

mclaren113
mclaren113

Xero wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:41
geogate wrote:
it quite humorous how everyone is making excuses for mclaren being fast...suddenly they got a secrete party mode (but Renault dont seem to), Ricardo says they have some trick development smh

Max is brave to downplay McLaren's potential in the race though. Don't see how it's flattering when they've been there the entire weekend. All it takes is for Lando to slip stream him down the back straight on lap 1, and Max could struggle to repass on track, given the straight line deficit. If Max breaks the tow and keeps clean air then he'll probably edge away over the course of the race, but not by as much as he's insinuating. Hoping for an egg on face scenario! [-o<
Let's just hope for a clean first laps and trouble free race 🤲🏻

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren113 wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 22:15
Xero wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:41
geogate wrote:

Let's just hope for a clean first laps and trouble free race 🤲🏻
So true, weekend could go awry at the first corner. Clean race and good result to make the weekend complete
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

I do think Mclaren were assisted by the higher track temp, but a good starting position keeps them a little out of harms way and means they run their race, not having to react to other drivers.
should get double figure points tomorrow.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Re: McLaren MCL34

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 20:07
How does this work guys?

Do they take a complete staff to Germany (or they stay in German even) or do they turn up with a small number of people?

(I assume) the people running the facility would be a large part of the equation and I would not like to see a lost correlation just as they are getting back on their feet.
Usually works out that Toyota staff will run the wind tunnel, some McLaren staff will be present. Toyota will then send the data to McLaren for analysis.

McLaren will come in with a fixed number of tests they want to carry out, run them in the tunnel then get the data and analyse it.

Having a good tunnel will allow them to analyze the data as they go and make changes as they go. Means that they save alot of time from going back and forth and maybe doing tests that were pointless.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 22:27
I do think Mclaren were assisted by the higher track temp, but a good starting position keeps them a little out of harms way and means they run their race, not having to react to other drivers.

Yes I tend to agree. But it does possibly mean we may look after our tyres better tomorrow, if we are not stuck behind Verstappen, in which case I worry a little about overheating in general and having to nurse the car. I'd be happy if we can make the jump at the start. I don't expect we would keep the place but I'd be happy for some clean air for a little while as Ferrari and Merc inevitbly leave the rest for dust. Making the jump and letting Verstappen use his tyres up would be the only realy chance to take 4th on Merit.

On the other hand, this is a chance where we are close enough that if we race well and if any of the front runners have issues or incidents, we might (on a very long shot) grab a cheeky podium.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

Re: McLaren MCL34

Maplesoup wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 22:43
Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 20:07
How does this work guys?

Do they take a complete staff to Germany (or they stay in German even) or do they turn up with a small number of people?

(I assume) the people running the facility would be a large part of the equation and I would not like to see a lost correlation just as they are getting back on their feet.
Usually works out that Toyota staff will run the wind tunnel, some McLaren staff will be present. Toyota will then send the data to McLaren for analysis.

McLaren will come in with a fixed number of tests they want to carry out, run them in the tunnel then get the data and analyse it.

Having a good tunnel will allow them to analyze the data as they go and make changes as they go. Means that they save alot of time from going back and forth and maybe doing tests that were pointless.
Thanks. I hope it does not take too much adjustment time, as it could spoil the momentum they seem to have gathered.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 22:52
Big Tea wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 22:27

Yes I tend to agree. But it does possibly mean we may look after our tyres better tomorrow, if we are not stuck behind Verstappen, in which case I worry a little about overheating in general and having to nurse the car. I'd be happy if we can make the jump at the start. I don't expect we would keep the place but I'd be happy for some clean air for a little while as Ferrari and Merc inevitbly leave the rest for dust. Making the jump and letting Verstappen use his tyres up would be the only realy chance to take 4th on Merit.

On the other hand, this is a chance where we are close enough that if we race well and if any of the front runners have issues or incidents, we might (on a very long shot) grab a cheeky podium.
I hope they decide before the race not to wast time fighting Vettel, just wave him through.
Fighting can cost them more than it gains, and once Vettel is chasing Max, it also means they are both taking more out of the cars than the 'Sunday drive' Mclarens are and it could mean one less stop or even an off for the squabblers ahead.

It would be nice to finish infront of the ferrari, but it would be artificial and costly in terms of race strat.
Points are worth more than glory.

Pick your fights, and right now Max and Seb are too much to take on when you consider the odds.

Edit. However, any gratuities due to DNF's should be grabbed :D

trinidefender
trinidefender

Nivedanm wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:47
Ground Effect wrote:
Well this is awkward,

True, Red Bull are faster; this is not representative. Maybe in other circuits, they will be faster than McLaren and closer to Ferrari. Maybe they will have a better race pace tomorrow. We don’t know all that yet.

But this is plain stupid. How can McLaren have a party mode that Renault don’t have?!!! Sounds as if Verstappen genuinely feels concerned...because only when you are tense do you start blabbering like this.
Nobody said that McLaren have a party mode that Renault don't have. It was just stated in that article that the Renault PU has a better party (qualifying) mode than the Honda. MV was just talking about McLaren in that context because they were the team right behind him, not Renault.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Be interesting to see how they go with the spec B engine in the back.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 23:21
Nivedanm wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:47
Ground Effect wrote:
Well this is awkward,

Nobody said that McLaren have a party mode that Renault don't have. It was just stated in that article that the Renault PU has a better party (qualifying) mode than the Honda. MV was just talking about McLaren in that context because they were the team right behind him, not Renault.
It’s a bit of an irony because isn’t that one of the things Marko and Horner were bragging about? Finally we have a party mode!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ground Effect wrote:
Well this is awkward,

I think he unloaded the entire excuse book there...