2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
martinbeiker
martinbeiker

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 19:54
restless wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 19:52
Makes no sense.
They'll need another "0-year" in order to accommodate new engine&aux ...
2021 has entirely new regs.
Plus that's not usually the case, see Toro Rosso in the hybrid era and Red Bull this year.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 19:31
Lots of mention about a possible wet qualifying and long run focus makes me think the team might entirely favour a race setup if they think dry one-lap pace would be irrelevant.

Seidl:
There is rain around tomorrow and we’ll have to take our opportunities as they present themselves, but the information gathered today will be useful for what should be a dry race.”
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/rus ... -practice/
Rain is forecast for the morning but not around quali time. At worst we'll have a worthless P3 session.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:Lots of mention about a possible wet qualifying and long run focus makes me think the team might entirely favour a race setup if they think dry one-lap pace would be irrelevant.

Seidl:
There is rain around tomorrow and we’ll have to take our opportunities as they present themselves, but the information gathered today will be useful for what should be a dry race.”
The question is: Is having a little less downforce actually beneficial for a race with such long straights? Additional downforce should help with tires, but having less of it should help in overtaking/defending.

I’m sure the team has every necessary number to make that call... Wonder what the considerations are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

restless wrote:Makes no sense.
They'll need another "0-year" in order to accommodate new engine&aux ...
A lot of people blow out of proportion adjusting to a new PU... In 2018 Mclaren’s problems had nothing to do with PU integration... STR did quiet well in their first year with Honda.

People usually use that to mask other deficiencies in the cars (PU, Chassis or both)... With new regulations and enough time, there is no reason why they should struggle to integrate the Mercedes PU for 2021.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren
Macklaren

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 19:45
So are we seeing the return of Mclaren Mercedes?
Joe Saward reporting this as well. Makes it virtually certain in my book. Joe is very credible

Capharol
Capharol

godlameroso wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 20:02
M840TR wrote:
Lots of mention about a possible wet qualifying and long run focus makes me think the team might entirely favour a race setup if they think dry one-lap pace would be irrelevant.

Seidl:
Rain is forecast for the morning but not around quali time. At worst we'll have a worthless P3 session.
prediction saturday afternoon

charliesmithhd

AfzMoha
AfzMoha

Forth fastest in terms of race pace and tied with Racing Point, 0.3 seconds a lap faster than Renault which is decent. If we can sort out our one lap pace we should be okay.

godlameroso

Capharol wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 21:05
godlameroso wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Seidl:

https://i.imgur.com/lz7mJxA.jpg
That's not what my spider sense tells me, but it's sometimes wrong. The possibility of rain has to be compared to the overall amount predicted for the day. In this case 9.3mm of rainfall are predicted for the day this means that even if the probability of rain is high the amount that falls will be light. It may not even be wet enough to warrant inters, or even land on the circuit for that matter. The climate in that region of the world promotes cool light rain sort of like you see in the Peruvian coast or San Francisco during winter. Or Shanghai during early spring.
Saishū kōnā

Jackles-UK

BBC (Andrew Benson) are now over the McLaren-Mercedes reunion as well.

Interesting that he states the reasons are that

a) Mercedes is more a competitive unit (which is pretty undeniable really) but also,

b) that a deal with Mercedes is actually cheaper than with Renault.

If the second point is true then it’s an excellent deal to get done. I must assume that this must be due to economies of scale with all the engine R&D being shared by four teams rather than two?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49859259
Last edited by Jackles-UK on 27 Sep 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Capharol
Capharol

godlameroso wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 22:18
Capharol wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 21:05
godlameroso wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/lz7mJxA.jpg
That's not what my spider sense tells me, but it's sometimes wrong. The possibility of rain has to be compared to the overall amount predicted for the day. In this case 9.3mm of rainfall are predicted for the day this means that even if the probability of rain is high the amount that falls will be light. It may not even be wet enough to warrant inters, or even land on the circuit for that matter. The climate in that region of the world promotes cool light rain sort of like you see in the Peruvian coast or San Francisco during winter. Or Shanghai during early spring.
sure, and yes it can be completly different, and we can only use the tools (weatherforecast) the internet gives us.... we "normal" ppl haven't got the best tools like the teams has.
but bare in mind, even the teams are talking about a wet quali ....

mwillems

AfzMoha wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 22:00
Forth fastest in terms of race pace and tied with Racing Point, 0.3 seconds a lap faster than Renault which is decent. If we can sort out our one lap pace we should be okay.
Red Bull didn't post a representative race lap, apparently, and so are not included. Likely 5th fastest at that point.

But who knows what we will pull out of the bag tomorrow.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Jackles-UK wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 22:30

a) Mercedes is more a competitive unit (which is pretty undeniable really) but also,

If the second point is true then it’s an excellent deal to get done. I must assume that this must be due to economies of scale with all the engine R&D being shared by four teams rather than two?

They have no need to offer them engines cheaper than the FIA Mandated maximum price so I wonder what that motive is, if it is true.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 23:03
Jackles-UK wrote:

They have no need to offer them engines cheaper than the FIA Mandated maximum price so I wonder what that motive is, if it is true.
Cheaper and more realistic than in house test beds?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 23:19
mwillems wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 23:03
Jackles-UK wrote:

Cheaper and more realistic than in house test beds?
Well they aren't short of teams getting test data for them, and the Merc engine sells itself in terms of power and reliability.