Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

FW17 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:46
Is this possible?
Sure. You also can buy paint that has particles that aid aero by keeping the airflow attached.

zac510
zac510

FW17 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:46
Is this possible?
It really just sounds like they haven't put a primer/base layer of paint on it and not having that paint layer is the weight saving.

Vanja #66

garygph wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:29
Using a pic from Morteza's post:
https://i.imgur.com/d4Vxrcw.jpg

Is it possible and possibly beneficial for the two top "flaps" to flex downwards at speed? The supports look quite far inboard if they are not attached to the endplate. This would be far harder to pick from onboard cameras than other parts of the wing so a higher chance of getting away with it :). Not sure if there is anything in that though.
Yes, this always happens. Also, entire wing flexes at speed around mounting points as pivot.

There are some clear trends this year, Ferrari and several other teams are going for low AoA outboard on frontwing. This is most likely to let the air go around the wheels as it did previous years, though not nearly as much. Higher AoA would send air above wheels and increase wheel lift, quite possibly drag as well.

There are some nice details on this car, I think previous two spoiled us too much with many changes. SF71H was the best car of 2018, so why change that philosophy. Instead, they've decided to push it further, by reducing engine cover to ridiculous size for today's standards. Rest of the car, specificaly side pods, look very much like last year, with bigger openings.

Sizing engine cover down leaves more high-energy air for rear wing. This drives it harder and that wing drives the diffuser harder for the benefit of the whole car. Every Pascal under 101325 counts. :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Why is this upper arm so thick? Any thoughts?Image

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

LM10
LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:06
LM10 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:39
SiLo wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:37
Frontal area of the sidepods seems to be bigger than last year?

Interesting to see if these front wings are the way to go.
The intake definitely is bigger, but I'm not sure about the overall area.
Intake definitely looks bigger. Presumably this has been done so that the roll hoop inlet can be made smaller along with the bulk of the bodywork behind it. Ferrari have placed their coolers etc in the sidepods only, by the look of it in comparison to the Honda / Renault teams.
You’re right. Mercedes seems to have a similar placement of coolers, yet they obviously didn’t go for a smaller airbox. Or, in other words, they didn’t bother aiming max flow towards RW as much as Ferrari did.
RedBull had a completely different approach. 3 big teams with 3 quite different philosophies. Everything set for a hopefully exciting fight upfront.

jumpingfish

I'm not sure I did it correctly, photos were taken at different angles a bit. It seems wheelbase shorter than SF70h :wtf: Can anyone make a comparison too? Image

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:00
garygph wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:29
Using a pic from Morteza's post:
https://i.imgur.com/d4Vxrcw.jpg

Is it possible and possibly beneficial for the two top "flaps" to flex downwards at speed? The supports look quite far inboard if they are not attached to the endplate. This would be far harder to pick from onboard cameras than other parts of the wing so a higher chance of getting away with it :). Not sure if there is anything in that though.
Yes, this always happens. Also, entire wing flexes at speed around mounting points as pivot.

There are some clear trends this year, Ferrari and several other teams are going for low AoA outboard on frontwing. This is most likely to let the air go around the wheels as it did previous years, though not nearly as much. Higher AoA would send air above wheels and increase wheel lift, quite possibly drag as well.

There are some nice details on this car, I think previous two spoiled us too much with many changes. SF71H was the best car of 2018, so why change that philosophy. Instead, they've decided to push it further, by reducing engine cover to ridiculous size for today's standards. Rest of the car, specificaly side pods, look very much like last year, with bigger openings.

Sizing engine cover down leaves more high-energy air for rear wing. This drives it harder and that wing drives the diffuser harder for the benefit of the whole car. Every Pascal under 101325 counts. :mrgreen:
Vanja! Where have you been? I missed your very interesting aerodynamic analyses. :) Welcome back. =D>

wuzak
wuzak

aral wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:39
wuzak wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:45
Is it me, or does the wheelbase look a touch shorter?
Based on what?

MtthsMlw

miguelalvesreis wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:00
Why is this upper arm so thick? Any thoughts?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 80e595.jpg

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk
They combined the upper wishbone, similar to McLaren last year. Cleans up the airflow.

Avocado
Avocado

To be perfectly honest, the most disappointing reveal of 2019. Are they serious? :|

Vanja #66

LM10 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:05
Vanja! Where have you been? I missed your very interesting aerodynamic analyses. :) Welcome back. =D>
Cheers, mate. Lot of work in the past few months, not over yet. :) I'll try to be more active, but can't promise anything.

Do we have any better photo of barge boards? They've done a lot to hide them with bad lighting.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

MtthsMlw

In this picture the paint almost looks like sandstone.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Leading German automobile magazine Auto motor und sport (AMuS) makes a detailed technical analysis looking at Scuderia Ferrari’s 2019 Formula One car, the SF90, which was officially presented this morning in Maranello. Here are some of the most important points highlighted by Auto motor und sport:

– new end plates of the rear wing. Also the new solution in the DRS adjustment mechanism is a bit unusual, as it now sticks far above the rear wing.

– the SF90 is extremely slim in the rear. This can be seen by the wide fin in the upper area. This reduces air resistance and improves the flow to the rear. New arrangement of the wastegate is visible and a new double T-wing can be seen as well.

– the airbox in a triangular shape now. The opening is significantly smaller than last year.

– the floor has more slots than last year. And already last year, Ferrari was the team with the extreme version.

– completely new: the side mirrors are mounted far over the sidepods now. Surprisingly, the mirror housings are no longer open as well.

– the baffles on the sidepods are slightly lower than the previous car, but it is following the same concept.

– when it comes to the bargeboard, Ferrari has read the rules very carefully. In the front part of the baffles it’s build higher than in the more regulated rear part.

– the brake ducts are extremely big. Normally, that much air is not needed to cool the brakes.

– the end plate of the front wing is slightly lower in the rear part.

– the attachment of the wing is now a little further in the back. The entrance of the S-duct has moved up the nose a bit.

– on the front wing, only the upper two flaps can be flexibly adjusted. They are now painted black and drop extremely to the outside to deflect the air as efficiently as possible to the side.

source: http://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-sf90-te ... EaluhdREsg

I wonder why the brake ducts are bigger than last year. Is it possible that they're using stronger brakes with higher cooling demand?

Vanja #66

pantherxxx wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:20

– the floor has more slots than last year. And already last year, Ferrari was the team with the extreme version.

– when it comes to the bargeboard, Ferrari has read the rules very carefully. In the front part of the baffles it’s build higher than in the more regulated rear part.

– the brake ducts are extremely big. Normally, that much air is not needed to cool the brakes.

I wonder why the brake ducts are bigger than last year. Is it possible that they're using stronger brakes with higher cooling demand?
These 3 things were done to negate the effect of loosing FW cascades and outboard outwash arches. More slots on floor is to strengthen the flooe sealing vortex. I dont know how much further they can go with this, smaller parts are going to suffer on the structural strenght side. Barge boards have to work harder to drive front wheel wake outboard as fast as possible. Brake ducts are bigger to allow more air to go trough front wheel, via axles or something else probably. Cant remember if blown axles are forbbiden now.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

bblundell72
bblundell72

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:31
Cant remember if blown axles are forbbiden now.
Yup, blown axles are banned now.