2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Edax
Edax

Re: 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

That guy really couldn’t get a break today.

That joke Ves made before the race about enjoying lapping Ric also came pretty close to being realized.

I seriously wonder whether Renault pulled Riccardo in to avoid the embarassment of getting blue-flagged by an approaching Verstappen.

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 15:07
jumpingfish wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 14:41
Do they had enough pace for making fastest lap after pit with their problems?
Let's say they didn't. What would Leclerc have lost trying?
Pitting is ALWAYS a danger. How many loose wheel nuts did we see with Kimi?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Schuttelberg

TAG wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 23:06
Schuttelberg wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 14:41
Do they had enough pace for making fastest lap after pit with their problems?
Racing is dangerous. Might as well stop?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 00:01
TAG wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 23:06
Schuttelberg wrote:

Racing is dangerous. Might as well stop?
Maybe they didn't want Leclerc one point closer to Vettel? It's all speculation on our part. We've got two weeks to celebrate or sulk and then do it all over again.
Last edited by TAG on 18 Mar 2019, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 22:24
Artur Craft wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 16:59
Juzh wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtkFZqfc-hs[/url]

Either ferrari/merc have been hit hard on their party modes with the extra restrictions put in place on the PUs this year, or honda has practically closed the gap completely, which would be quite astonishing.
account deleted already. Juzh, can you, please, upload this telemetry comparison again? I doesn't need to be on youtube, it can be wherever you like. Also, did you post onboard laps?
https://streamable.com/m2dog

Which onboard laps? There were a few.
WTF your channel is already deleted?

I think it's because of those pure onboards. Telemetry comparisons or onboard comparisons are ok I guess?

Scorpaguy

First impressions:

Merc...great poker face in testing. VB perfect today.
RB...Honda bet paying off. PG seems to have lost a few rubles.
Ferr...gamble of firing Arri and Kimi not paying off. Wow, did not take long for them to neuter LeC
Haas...Still surprising.
Ren...Hulk still proving to be the best bargain on the grid. Somebody buy Ric a Rabbit's foot.
Alfa...Holding station.
RP...Not sucking.
RBTR...Not sucking. Return of the Russian Rocket maybe?
MClr...Fire escape seemed slow, slower than the car.
Will...Spooky or ugly??? Not sure which adjective to use. GOOD GAWD, someone make Vijay do community service
with this abortion and get them back on track!!!

F1TV...Good. Expensive but good.

wickedz50
wickedz50

GPR -A wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 18:30
dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 17:50
Diesel wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 17:33
Pretty disappointing, again a technical reg shakeup which hasn't really done anything for the sport.
this is the problem with formula one, people always trying to change stuff because fans don't like the pecking order.
Unlike in the past, when regulation changes used to catch the leading teams off guard, the current Mercedes team (including a very strong driver) seems to have developed resistance towards such changes and keep building cars that competes at the sharp end. They are not just the first team to win across one major regulation change, but seems to be on path (quite premature, but still) to win across 2 such changes.

You can't blame the FIA/FOM (Liberty) to be trying their best to shake things up, but with the budgets and resources that the top 3 teams have, they would continue to keep the space occupied. With McLaren and Williams fading away, the 3 teams that dominated F1 for the past 2 decades, continues to be leading the space. Everyone hated Ferrari's dominance and then everyone hated Red Bull dominance and now everyone hates Mercedes' dominance.

This is just first race of the season and with sparks that Honda has shown, there is a possibility that they have found the right direction to develop their PU and they have also committed large budget for their F1 program. If they deliver a bit more than others, you can expect RB to be competing and if Ferrari buckles up a bit and come out of the immediate shock (I hope it just a blip), this season can still be a very competitive one.

If Honda succeeds well enough, there could be a possibility of them returning as a Factory Honda F1 team at some point, which would then be good for sport to have brought one of the big player from slumber. After all, Brawn has worked for Honda F1 team as a team principal in the past.
Boss do you really feel this was a one off blip for ferrari?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

fritticaldi wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 19:03
The car that Mercedes usually give to Hamilton was given to Bottas and Hamilton received the car that Bottas usually receives.
hahahahahahahaha! you're so funny

Afterburner

In Melbourne we saw no surprises, i mentioned it while in testing...
Afterburner wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 00:15
Mercedes and RB are hidding their game for sure, i think Mercedes is around 0,3s above RB and 0,5s above Ferrari.

Mercedes simply isn't doing nothing that shows they're in bad shape, no tons of flow viz, no first sectors full throttle, etc, and RB the same while they keep TR to full test Honda next spec engine.

jumpingfish

Kubica said he could not see the start lights, Pierre Gasly says same due to the higher rear wings for 2019. Will they change the height of the traffic light?

Juzh

yelistener wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 02:05
Juzh wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 22:24
Artur Craft wrote:

account deleted already. Juzh, can you, please, upload this telemetry comparison again? I doesn't need to be on youtube, it can be wherever you like. Also, did you post onboard laps?
https://streamable.com/m2dog

Which onboard laps? There were a few.
WTF your channel is already deleted?

I think it's because of those pure onboards. Telemetry comparisons or onboard comparisons are ok I guess?
telemetry stuff is ok, any kind of onboards are a no go.

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
Juzh wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtkFZqfc-hs[/url]

Either ferrari/merc have been hit hard on their party modes with the extra restrictions put in place on the PUs this year, or honda has practically closed the gap completely, which would be quite astonishing.

About this weekend, I don't care about the "Melbourne is not a representative track for pecking order" talk. I doubt very much that Ferrari and RB will challenge Merc this year. Even on places like Monaco I can see Merc locking a front row easily, given how good their mechanical grip is. This sort of superiority really feels like 2014-2016
I uploaded all laps and some more that weren't on youtube to a google drive folder. check my forum signature.

Jambier

ferkan wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 22:42
Honda closed the gap but gap in quali is same as last year. Oil loophole, I think not, because laat year they went to 0.6L of oil alowed, slashing that to half brings practically nothing as far as performance goes. Meaning, last years regulations pretty much whipped out any oil burning advantage worth anything.
We can't really know the gap

Renault powered car are the one who have the most progressed on this race compare to last year
But having poor chassis, you can think engine is bad

But one thing is sure, the Honda since end of 2017 wasn't crap at all

And one thing is encouraging I think : Your engine does not anymore define your global performance, I'm sure in race at least there is very few difference between engine. That's good :)

Godius

Useless statistic: With Verstappen's podium in the AusGP, it is the first time since the start of the V6T-Hybrid era that a PU-manufacturer other than Ferrari or Mercedes has been classified on the AusGP podium. 2014 was a weird one because Ricciardo was disqualified shortly after the race.