2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Tyre Choices

2018 Results
Qualifying

Race

2018 Pole Lap

2018 Race Highlights

DutchDopey

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

This going to be the race that determines the rest of the season. If it is again a Merc 1-2 than it is done.

aleks_ader

I would add. It depends from the gap in seconds. If is in Q3 0.3s close nothing is impossible. LEC and VET are pretty NICE match and it should work if engineers at Ferrari figure it out. I even don't count out the the steady progress from RB Honda to steal couple of point from Merc. In case if they fail in updates. It is less likely but noting is impossible.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

GPR-A

aleks_ader wrote:
05 May 2019, 17:02
I would add. It depends from the gap in seconds. If is in Q3 0.3s close nothing is impossible. LEC and VET are pretty NICE match and it should work if engineers at Ferrari figure it out. I even don't count out the the steady progress from RB Honda to steal couple of point from Merc. In case if they fail in updates. It is less likely but noting is impossible.
Imagine what happens if Red Bull and Ferrari's upgrade fail and Mercedes' click.

Phil

Bottas was quite close in qualifying to Hamilton. Gonna be an important session. Really excited to see if Ferrari can step up too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ME4ME

I'm looking forward to the Grand Prix because obviously I'm an F1 fan, but I keep expectations low for this circuit. More often then not I find races a bit dull at Barcelona. Pirelli have gone for the C1-3 tyres as well, which won't help. I fear low strategic variety so very much depends on the teams being close on performance. If it is warm and sunny maybe Ferrari and to some extent Red Bull can spice things up. If not, I fully expect Mercedes to take it.

TAG

Getting to the first circuit where Mercedes scored their first 1-2 of the season last year.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

yelistener

I wonder if this year's pole could be faster than 2018. In 2018 there were new tarmac, and the tyres were softer.

Fastest lap from 2019 winter testing equalled 2018 pole, but that doesn't guarantee anything. In 2017 winter testing was faster than 2017 pole.

ubuysa

And can Renault get both cars home this time?

iotar__

DutchDopey wrote:
05 May 2019, 16:32
This going to be the race that determines the rest of the season. If it is again a Merc 1-2 than it is done.
- Many races to go so not quite but close. Australia was an odd one, Bahrain - domination, China - slightly behind in Q, surprisingly more in the race, Baku close.

- God knows how to apply all the contradicting theories about pace to Barcelona. Benchmark track so no Australia excuse, cooling whatever is fixed I guess, less of an engine track but there's a straight, ~max downforce and all the corners (are corners still Ferrari's weakness after Baku and Bahrain :? ). Then there's mother of all excuses, tyres. Elaborate theories about them should apply less to one lap.

- Cheap and mean prediction: Ferrari will the quickest but will lose it in Q because of one or two elements =P~ .

- On Mercedes side, It's too early for gearbox/engine change, other technical glitches, mid season tyre problems or "it's James" strategy. Will happen sooner or later.

Roman

FER will be quickest in FP and until Q2, then Merc go 1-2 in Q3.

Interview after Q: We were nowhere in FP but overnight we suddenly found the right setup and could perform in Q. It was a huge surprise for us, too. We do not expect to be competitive in the Race, power advantage of FER blablabla.

FER and RB will fight for 3-6 the rest for the remaining places, Williams remain dead last.

Race will be the same, the Merc in front after Lap 1 will win the race. People will try to tell me it is an exciting season due to all the midfield battles.

I really hope I am wrong because if it turns out this way then I rather concentrate on other things this year, like nice family sundays etc...

Wouter

Roman wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:04

Interview after Q: We were nowhere in FP but overnight we suddenly found the right setup and could perform in Q. It was a huge surprise for us, too. We do not expect to be competitive in the Race, power advantage of FER blablabla. :lol:

FER and RB will fight for 3-6 the rest for the remaining places, Williams remain dead last.

Race will be the same, the Merc in front after Lap 1 will win the race.
=D> :) I agree.
The Power of Dreams!

Bill_Kar

Roman wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:04

Interview after Q: We were nowhere in FP but overnight we suddenly found the right setup and could perform in Q. It was a huge surprise for us, too. We do not expect to be competitive in the Race, power advantage of FER blablabla.

Race will be the same, the Merc in front after Lap 1 will win the race. People will try to tell me it is an exciting season due to all the midfield battles.

I really hope I am wrong because if it turns out this way then I rather concentrate on other things this year, like nice family sundays etc...
At least there is some excitement regarding which Mercedes will be 1 :D

ubuysa

Are we really saying that it's only about who wins, and that the rest of the field might has well not have bothered turning up?

I mean no disrespect but I find this 'it's only about who wins' to be a bit sad. It's a bit like telling the 40000 London Marathon runners the other week that they wasted their time because they didn't win....

BwajSF

i do understand that its been four 1-2s in a row for the Mercs.
But Ferrari were struggling with tyres in temp drop in quali surely hit Ferrari bad...
Well, ferrari bringing upgrades... should help thier quest of getting more downforce and balance to get the tyres be in the operating window.
I also understand conventional wisdom says Mercs to the win... But its gonna be very important weekend and gonna be the first win for the Ferraris..
Just got the feeling this year Ferrari might rule the European leg...completely..

#ForzaFerrari