Most open wheel single-seater formula auto racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protection

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
theriusDR3

Most open wheel single-seater formula auto racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protection

The Halo cockpit.

In 2018 FIA FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA 2 and other regional F3 tournaments are the first to introduce the Halo cockpit, later in the same year FIA Formula E also introduce Halo cockpit.

Now in 2019 FIA FORMULA 3 and Japanese Super Formula introduce the Halo cockpit too. Most recently IndyCar Series will introduce the radical cockpit protection combining the Halo and Aeroscreen.

The combination of Halo and Aeroscreen that will be used by all IndyCar Series cars from 2020 season onwards.

Dallara F320 with Halo cockpit.

Also Dallara F320 car will introduce Halo too.

I believe the open cockpit should be abandoned due to safety and also high mortality rate. Ayrton Senna, Greg Moore, Tony Renna, Scott Brayton, Paul Dana, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Jeff Krosnoff, Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees, Jules Bianchi and Justin Wilson were the victims.

Your opinions?
Last edited by theriusDR3 on 20 Jul 2019, 17:07, edited 3 times in total.

DiogoBrand

Re: Most open wheel single-seater auto formula racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protect

Not much point in having an opinion. It's gonna happen no matter what we think.
Seeing a driver die because he's driving at over 300km/h with his head exposed was acceptable a few years back, it isn't anymore. So as bad as they look, we're gonna have to get used to head protection devices.

izzy

Re: Most open wheel single-seater auto formula racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protect

Yes it's the right thing to do. personally I'd go the whole way and enclose the cockpit with a canopy, take away the helmets, have a headband for HANS and ban shades too so we can see their eyes. Wash-wipe and aircon to finish it off.

bill shoe

izzy wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 13:00
Yes it's the right thing to do. personally I'd go the whole way and enclose the cockpit with a canopy, take away the helmets, have a headband for HANS and ban shades too so we can see their eyes. Wash-wipe and aircon to finish it off.
And side mirrors with a power-fold feature for parking in tight situations like Parc Ferme. The drivers are not savages!

l4mbch0ps

Re: Most open wheel single-seater formula auto racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protect

"Ayrton Senna, Greg Moore, Tony Renna, Scott Brayton, Paul Dana, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Jeff Krosnoff, Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees, Jules Bianchi and Justin Wilson were the victims."

Uhmm, not anywhere near all of these would have been prevented with a halo. Tony Renna's car disintegrated into the barriers, Paul Dana was struck broadside by another car at 170mph.

You can't justify a safety measure just by all of the deaths ever.

izzy

bill shoe wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 02:14
izzy wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 13:00
And side mirrors with a power-fold feature for parking in tight situations like Parc Ferme. The drivers are not savages!
exactly! this is the 21st Century not 1950, it's no good being stuck in the past with wheezy mumblings about DNA and history

izzy

Re: Most open wheel single-seater formula auto racing tournament are abandoning open-cockpit in favor of cockpit protect

l4mbch0ps wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 03:27
"Ayrton Senna, Greg Moore, Tony Renna, Scott Brayton, Paul Dana, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Jeff Krosnoff, Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees, Jules Bianchi and Justin Wilson were the victims."

Uhmm, not anywhere near all of these would have been prevented with a halo. Tony Renna's car disintegrated into the barriers, Paul Dana was struck broadside by another car at 170mph.

You can't justify a safety measure just by all of the deaths ever.
At the same time you can't pick out one or two to question and ignore all the others. Some of them we can't really know, some of them I haven't seen but Senna, Wheldon, Surtees, Bianchi and Wilson are reasonably solid that a halo would have made a difference

rjsa

DiogoBrand wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:47
Not much point in having an opinion. It's gonna happen no matter what we think.
Seeing a driver die because he's driving at over 300km/h with his head exposed was acceptable a few years back, it isn't anymore. So as bad as they look, we're gonna have to get used to head protection devices.
Ohh there is a point. One doesn’t like the HALO. One doesn’t like it to the point of quitting, and then quits. Like I did.
Last edited by rjsa on 04 Jul 2019, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

I´ve never understood the reason people provide so much importance to the cockpit, if open or closed... It is a racing car, defined by multiple parameters, but the cockpit is one of the most irrelevant if you ask me, so I really don´t bother at all.

Actually, aesthetically I like a lot more cars with closed cockpits, I see halo like a intermediate point just for people who is not ready for the change to closed cockpits yet. Humans usually are very reluctant to any change

flynfrog

Here are a few options that top fuel have been using. Got the picture last year I think.

Jolle

flynfrog wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:45
Here are a few options that top fuel have been using. Got the picture last year I think.

https://i.imgur.com/MuFB4Kc.jpg
Looks like the windshield is just that, a wind shield. The driver is completely inside the safety cell. Just like WEC protos for instance, where the the (top) bodywork is just aero, build on top of a halo like structure for safety (as in a roll cage).

z.topoln

Halo doesnt look so bad when you see cars in real life.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

n_we1ss

Senna died because of basilar skull fracture (no idea how true is this). No way halo would've saved him.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about eejit.

Last edited by n_we1ss on 08 Jul 2019, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

n_we1ss wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 09:18
Senna died because of basilar skull fracture. No way halo would've saved him.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about eejit.
Senna was killed by the broken suspension attached to the wheel, which Halo would have blocked perfectly
The report confirmed Senna's Senna's injuries injuries were compatible with a massive blow above the right eyebrow. Pathologist Carrado Cipolla, said that Senna died not from the impact itself, but from a "blow to the head from a blunt object," indicating a photograph apparently showing a section of the front suspension.
http://www.ayrton-senna.com/s-files/picsf03.html

Just_a_fan

Senna suffered three injuries, each of which would have been fatal on their own. Two of the injuries (impact in the face by upright, impact with suspension arm) could have been prevented by the halo and high cockpit sides, the other (skull fracture) prevented by halo, high cockpit sides and HANS device (depending on how the fracture occurred - impact or hyperextension).

The low cockpit sides were a recipe for broken necks and some drivers were very lucky to survive some of this accidents e.g. Mika at Adelaide.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.