909 Bergspyder

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roon

909 Bergspyder

2.0L flat 8
849 lbs / 385 kg

Last edited by roon on 05 Jul 2019, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

henry

Re: 909 Bergspyder

Thanks. One of my favourite cars.

If if remember correctly it had a spherical fuel tank pressurised with nitrogen to dispense with nasty heavy power consuming fuel pump.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

roon

Fascinating, clever. I did not know that. Fueled like a rocket.

The rear fins are connected to the rear suspension arms. Looks as though droop would cause their aoa to increase.

At 3.4m in length, this car could fit within the W10's 3.7m wheelbase.

Morteza

henry wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 18:20
If if remember correctly it had a spherical fuel tank pressurised with nitrogen to dispense with nasty heavy power consuming fuel pump.
You are correct
From Ultimatecarpage.com
A unique feature of the 909 was the fuel tank. At 16 litre, it could hold just enough fuel for one run up and back down the mountain. All 1.7 kg (3.8 lbs) of the fuel pump were saved by using a nitrogen pressurised sphere. The 'Kugeltank' consisted of a titanium exterior shell with a rubber bladder inside, which contained the fuel. Before the start nitrogen was fed into the space between the shell and the bladder to get the pressure needed to send the fuel to the engine.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Cold Fussion

Beryllium brake discs is bonkers.

humble sabot

I wonder to what extent they were beryllium. There are a few alloys high in Be, copper ones and Al ones.
The sheer cost of doing monolithic pure Be discs, even now (especially now?) is literally astronomical; space program stuff. The Mirrors on the JWST are Be.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Morteza

humble sabot wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 05:58
I wonder to what extent they were beryllium. There are a few alloys high in Be, copper ones and Al ones.
The sheer cost of doing monolithic pure Be discs, even now (especially now?) is literally astronomical; space program stuff. The Mirrors on the JWST are Be.
In the Ultimatecarpage.com article it is mentioned that the cost for the beryllium brakes was $1000 per disc. They were also chrome plated to contain the poisonous dust
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Tommy Cookers

humble sabot wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 05:58
the attraction as a brake disc material ?
the unique combination of very high thermal conductivity with freakishly high specific heat capacity (and very low density)
though there's a health hazard

the freakishly high mass-specific stiffness is the driver in space systems

our cars etc are populated with moving electrical contacts made from 1.5% Beryllium/98.5% Copper alloy
a few have valve seats made from 2.5% Be/97.5% Cu alloy

iirc really Be doesn't alloy - it forms MMCs

humble sabot

Fair point about the MMC nature of BeCu. But I was aking "to what extent" not "to what end". I guess the implication with the chrome plating was that it was pure monolithic Be?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance