Video F1 Bar Honda + 400 km/h

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Apex
Apex

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:The poor sod types a sentance that can be interpreted in two ways an everyone must crucify him for it...lay off guys!
Indeed, I second that!
This is an international forum, this is not the place to come for English lessons!

NFS, thanks for the link and welcome to the forum. The people here are usually not this abrasive!
Dont dream it, do it.

Crabbia
Crabbia

to get back on topic I've heard talk that a formula1 car could theoretically do around 700km/h.
i say again theoretically and this is probably a drag against horsepower equation but if there someone that can clear that up for me i'd appreciate it :?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

mep

Crabbia wrote
I've heard talk that a formula1 car could theoretically do around 700km/h.
i say again theoretically and this is probably a drag against horsepower equation but if there someone that can clear that up for me i'd appreciate it .
I'll try it because I am thinking about car speed drag and engine speed
this time and it's a chance to see If I am right.

700km/h :3.6 = 194m/s

Drag at this speed:

F= Cw *1/2 P* A* v^2

Cw= 0.75 From a book this number is the important thing it would be
much lower at a high speed configuration or on a high
speed car which is build for such a reason.
P =1.22
A= 1.5 m^2 frontal area of a Formula 1 car (from the same book, also
important)

v=194 m/s
Gives us a drag force of F=25827N.
Now we need a engine whitch has enough power.

P=F*V
P=25827N * 194 m/s = 5010438Nm/s
1Ps = 3/4 KN

5010KN * 4/3 = 6680horsepower (edited Ps :arrow: hp 8) )

So you need a realy strong engine or you have a realy smal Cw
:arrow: or lets say its imposible.
Last edited by mep on 17 Jun 2006, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

flynfrog

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
flynfrog wrote:i wouldnt worry about it to much its just a guy trying to push his website so i can get more money from adds
What's wrong with you? Okay fair doos most of this posts have links to his site on it..BUT, those links are relevent, and the content is often something new and interesting (if not just plain interesting). Its no different than posting a link to another website.

From now on lets all of us stop posting links to external sites because that's advertising a site which you like, this apparently is wrong even if the content is relevent.

I'd fully agree with you if his posts and website was irrelevent but its not, so I see jno point in you kicking a man when he's down.

im not saying the vids are not cool but all 4 post he had made were simply links to his website

my point was he probaly dosent care what you say about him as he wont be back to read your comments

Ciro Pabón

mep: what are Ps? We've done something around your idea here. I found figures of "power to the wheels" around 1/2 of dyno measured power, so you could correct your figures accordingly.
Ciro

mep

Ciro Pabónwrote:
mep: what are Ps? We've done something around your idea here. I found figures of "power to the wheels" around 1/2 of dyno measured power, so you could correct your figures accordingly
Sorry I forgot to translate this but I'll do it now.

Ps means Horsepower
Nm/s :arrow: J/s :arrow: W
I should not have used it because it's not a official unit of measurment
but everybody knows it.
So now it's visible that you need a very strong engine to reach
700km/h with Formula 1 drag.
Maybe a jet-engine like at Thrust SSC. And this car has maybe less
drag coef. and a smaler frontal area.

I read the other discussion shortly but it seems that only Reca was realy
interested in what you wrote because the others started to talk about
something different.
But If you want I can write something at the other topic.

MIB
MIB

Ciro Pabón wrote:mep: what are Ps? We've done something around your idea here. I found figures of "power to the wheels" around 1/2 of dyno measured power, so you could correct your figures accordingly.
PS= Pferde Stark, in german same as horsepower
MIB

Venom
Venom

Rod Knock wrote:
Venom wrote:That's not even hard. All it requires is a bit of setup, removal of wings and change of gear ratios.
Yah ya done it before?

It's impressive that they did it while complying with FIA regulations.
mini696 wrote:
Venom wrote:That's not even hard. All it requires is a bit of setup, removal of wings and change of gear ratios.
I think you under estimate the difficulty of completing this task.
At the end of Indianapolis pit-straight under normal race conditions F1 cars reach up to about 340+kph. That is in the race where the car needs to be setup to perform in other parts of circuit and still apply to FIA regulations.

I don't underestimate anything here but only saying it's not the most impressive thing done with F1 car.

ADD:

btw. I currently have 1.1 (around 55 bhp) and I can do 160kph with it.

Doesn't anyone expect more then 400kph with 10x more power and money invested.

LOL :D
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Thanks for that mep.

I followed what u said all for the ps units but that was soon explained.
I've never been able to handle aero equations all that well and more to the point, i couldn't get my hands on the drag coeff for the cars, esp at those speeds (700kph) to prove/disprove it for myself.

dude you've rescued me from mental torment the likes of which u cannot comprehend

looking at the equations u had and flipping them around a bit.

I wanted to see what the theoretical maximum speed based on your equations were…
At the time I heard this myth the V10’s where wrapped in better chassis then defunkt old minardi’s so I’m using 900hp:

F=0.5(Cw)(rho)(A)(v^2)
F=(Powerhp)(746)/ (v)

For terminal velocity put F for drag = F produced at wheels
v=(2(900)( 746)/(0.75)(1.22)(1.5))^1/3
v=122.6m/s = 441km/h

This ofcourse holds assuming the Cw figure of 0.75 holds for this speed and this of course doesn’t take into account any losses incurred in the transmission, the tyres and is after all a play around figure for the power the engine put out.

The BAR pumped out a 413km/h and if you look at the above as a guide taking in the few potential power losses I mentioned that run was no mean feat.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Sodder
Sodder

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:The poor sod

Is this an english swear or cut down, because that makes my named a little stange??? :lol:
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Tom

not really swear, half hearted insult, I thought your name was that on purpose
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zac510
zac510

Sodder wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:The poor sod

Is this an english swear or cut down, because that makes my named a little stange??? :lol:
I wouldn't say it is derogatory, it is most often referred to someone who has had or is in an unfortunate situation that is probably not their fault.

"Mark Webber's Williams keeps breaking down when he is doing well, the poor sod"

Not his fault for driving the Williams, but he is unlucky to have all the retirements.

Sodder
Sodder

HAHAHA, no my name has reference to what I was doing for a job when I first signed up for a bulletin board. I just keep using the same name ove for different boards.

I was working at a golf course and having to do a lot of sod prep work. So I thought: heck, just go with what you do, your a Sodder!
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, Honda finally made a serious run, and on one run, did record over 400 kph. They never got into the record books at 400, but I'm duly impressed.
Considering that the car had to fall within class specs, especially with open wheels, it's not easy.
http://www.bonneville400.com/flash/default.aspx
There were quite a few noticeable external mods, especially the intakes to the sidepods and the replacement of the rear wing for a single fin/rudder.
It was nice to see how cleaned up the car was, many strakes and chimneys eliminated, I wish the f1 competition cars had that cleaner look. Of course the parachute is impractical (and illegal) in F1, but it sure would be an eye opener if they demonstrated one day in front of a GP crowd.
Honda didn't have to do it, and I'm sure the money spent on this public relations exercise will give a return. But it's sure nice to see something done, basically as a fun exercise in motorsport. Thanks Honda, and well done.

Scuderia_Russ

Quite a lot went into making this happen actually. There was a feature on it in Racecar a few months back. Too hungover to dig it out, sorry.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-