Antoine Hubert's crash. R.I.P.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
hollus

Antoine Hubert's crash. R.I.P.

Sadly, the news are that Antoine lost his life in the F2 race at Spa. R.I.P.
He passed away doing what he loved.
Rivals, not enemies.

Morteza

Re: Antoine Hubert's crash. R.I.P.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Capharol

i wish the family and all the ppl that surrounded Antoine all the best and stay strong in dark times

izzy

hollus wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:59
Sadly, the news are that Antoine lost his life in the F2 race at Spa. R.I.P.
He passed away doing what he loved.
Yes it's on the FIA facebook, tragic

turbof1

Rest in peace, Anthoine.
#AeroFrodo

Titchener

Very sad. Its a stark reminder of the risk these exceptionally talented human beings take.

R.I.P

strad

Very sad. R.I.P. Antoine.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NL_Fer

Damn, i hoped he was ok, because the monocoque looked in one piece. Impact was really hard i guess. Such a talent, my condolances for the family.

DChemTech

We were on kemmel straight, did not see the accident luckily but did see the fallout. The first ambulance was driving eerily slow, didn't leave the track with a good feeling. Horrendous moment, rest in peace.

Marti_EF3

R.I.P. Anthoine.

When I saw the accident, and his car was broken into 2 parts, I thought the worst. I'm so sad :(

maverick02490

NL_Fer wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 20:13
Damn, i hoped he was ok, because the monocoque looked in one piece. Impact was really hard i guess. Such a talent, my condolances for the family.
Be it unfortunate or not, the monocoque did not survive in one piece.

The current safety regs did do a great job at sustaining the kinetic energy of the impact, but sadly, they're still inadequate for a +270kph dead on side impact. The current regs are aimed for frontal impacts, as the sides don't have any crumple components (like the nose of the car) besides two bars and the components, certainly nothing regulated beyond those two bars.
This is not a stab at FIA, because the cars are really not designed for something like this, for the following reason;

I think an accident like this is only possible at Spa or by some freak circumstances on the end of any long straight.
I can't think of any other places where a car could veer from any reason to the path of a +270kph car.

Spa has desperately needed more run-off area at the sides of Radillion for years now. yeah, it's gonna be expensive, but so is human life...
There have been many close calls for an accident just like this and it was only a question of time before it did happen.
It's sad that Spa organizers did basically nothing to improve this, but then that seems to be the norm these days...

Mod edit: No pics, please.

Understood.

The picture I would've had on this post shows the left side of the monocoque at least partially destroyed, close and around the left upper body area of Hubert. The picture is not graphic, but show's Hubert's helmet visible from an angle where it should not be visible had the monocoque been intact.

fritticaldi

Well explained Maverick.

Manoah2u

good lord i saw the crash, i got emotional from that violent impact, the first one into the wall was already mind-boggling hard but then to have the unimaginable happen and see him completely destructed by another car going full speed into the side shocked me to the bones :shock: that car got wrecked into several pieces. i couldn't believe he was even alive after that impact (unless he wasn't, not unlike what has been said about Senna's crash).

my god, this is a sad, sad day and i feel very much for all involved, and above all family and friends.

i watched the replay later on several times and i still have trouble fathoming just how violent that crash was.
yeah, i admit even that i let some tears flow.
very very shocked to the core. just shows how extremely dangerous formula categories are.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TAG

Gut wrenching seeing the crash, my condolences to the Hubert family for their loss, hoping for the best possible outcome to all of those involved.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle

Who was the driver without a rear wing going slowly on the racing line before they crashed into the barriers and into each other, both outside the track limits?