CFD - 2022 F1 Car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vanja #66

Re: CFD - 2022 F1 Car

Tom888 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:46 pm
Where is throat located in 2022 cars, I expect here lowiest pressure?
Is there any real picture of undertray of these cars?
You'll have to look at car threads for that, haven't seen good photos so far. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Likes_race_cars
Likes_race_cars

What a fantastic post, not sure i understand even half of it. This is good stuff.

Fluido
Fluido

Vyssion wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Very similar setup to the Perrinn model; straight ahead solve here, no crossflow or curved flow, steady-RANS w/ SST turbulence inc. wall functions, 31.5million elements, etc etc...

How number of cells affect accuracy, if you use high resolution grid(more cells), results will be closer to real one?

Stu

Fluido wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:06 pm
Vyssion wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Very similar setup to the Perrinn model; straight ahead solve here, no crossflow or curved flow, steady-RANS w/ SST turbulence inc. wall functions, 31.5million elements, etc etc...

How number of cells affect accuracy, if you use high resolution grid(more cells), results will be closer to real one?
More cells do create greater accuracy, but require a longer calculation time. Even the teams rationalise cell count; before increasing resolution where it is required.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Fluido
Fluido

Stu wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:05 pm
More cells do create greater accuracy, but require a longer calculation time. Even the teams rationalise cell count; before increasing resolution where it is required.
What does it mean, only super computers can do real results?
Can our "home computers" gives correct results or calculation would take a couple of years to have correct resluts?

CAEdevice

Fluido wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:51 pm
Stu wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:05 pm
What does it mean, only super computers can do real results?
Can our "home computers" gives correct results or calculation would take a couple of years to have correct resluts?
I depends on the data you are looking for.

Fluido
Fluido

CAEdevice wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Downforce at front/back wheels(within 20N accuracy), static pressure distribution at all parts of car body, position of center of pressure,overall drag, separation point at undertray, cofficient of pressure change in relation to speed(Re number),accurately predict vortex paths at undertray, find thickness of boundary layer at every point of body.. at F1 car

?

CAEdevice

Fluido wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:05 pm
CAEdevice wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Downforce at front/back wheels(within 20N accuracy), static pressure distribution at all parts of car body, position of center of pressure,overall drag, separation point at undertray, cofficient of pressure change in relation to speed(Re number),accurately predict vortex paths at undertray, find thickness of boundary layer at every point of body.. at F1 car

?
All together? You would need K*10^7 cells. At this point, I would not neglect a transient simulations. Yes, you need something more than a desktop. Even with a multi xeon machine tens of hours would be required.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

What do you aero chappies think of bullet point 2?
"Doug McLean (Boeing)| Common Misconceptions in Aerodynamics"