[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fouad1979
fouad1979

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Guys next week we will have more softer tyre from perelli maybe a different setting and setup

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

fouad1979 wrote:Guys next week we will have more softer tyre from perelli maybe a different setting and setup
With back to back weekends on the same track... I’m sure the team will learn from today and continue to improve the setup... There may be a few more bits for the car to keep moving performance forward.

The softer tires though... That will be a challenge given the situation with the tires today.

What is clear to me at least is that the strategy to ensure Q3 by going with the softs on on Q2 yesterday was the right one... It was very difficult to make an overtake on track while on the “DRS Train”... Cars with a big enough delta couldn’t overtake very easily (for example RIC with GRO) if they are all in the train... Starting position will also be key in next weeks race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mansell89
Mansell89

Such a shame that Carlos couldn’t finish as it would have been a lovely bit of added cushion in the Constructors.

Lacked some pace on the hard tyre for sure.

No idea how next week will pan out with softer tyres, crazy.

Andres125sx

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:03

I’m sure most (myself included) are more than happy and excited with how the season is developing so far!... But, I guess that we also accept reality and keeping expectations in check.

The fact that a P5 finish by Lando feels like a “not so great” result is a sign of that the team is performing well and expectations are running high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A P5 didn´t look so great not because of the P5 itself, but because it was just a P5 instead of a P5+P7 wich was the deserved positions if those pirellis would have last one and a half more laps

Andres125sx

Anycase I think P3 in the WCC is still doable, at least while Vettel continue underperforming like this, as I think Ferrari is still faster than Mclaren, but with just one driver performing McLaren could beat them.

But with RP and Renault so close it will be a tough battle, 3rd is doable, but 6th is also a very realistic posibility. The fight will be fun anycase :)

TAG

That papaya with an AMG engine in back of it next year is going to be one tasty treat.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

godlameroso

P5 was a let down as the car had the pace to hang with LeClerc's Ferrari. I feel that Sainz held up Lando allowing Ric to get past, and also kept McLaren from battling with Ferrari(didn't think I'd be saying that any time soon).

After today's race 4th and 5th should be the target for next weekend.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:09
P5 was a let down as the car had the pace to hang with LeClerc's Ferrari. I feel that Sainz held up Lando allowing Ric to get past, and also kept McLaren from battling with Ferrari(didn't think I'd be saying that any time soon).

You mean you don't think Carlos pushed hard enough with his vibrating tyre just before it gave out?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

You mean you don't think Carlos pushed hard enough with his vibrating tyre just before it gave out?
I actually agree with godlameroso... I’ve always had the impression that Carlos sets himself a goal in terms of pace and position and he is great at doing so... Backing Lando into Daniel happened before he started having vibrations in the car (with his engineer asking him to increase the pace more than once before that)... It reminded me a bit of France last year where we had a similar situation of Lando been held back by Carlos.

Now, with Carlos in front, he is entitled to manage his pace... So no fault there, if Lando doesn’t want to be in that position he needs to keep improving his first lap performance... I don’t think that Carlos does it on purpose to hurt Lando or the team, but seems to be his approach once he considers that he can’t overtake the car in front of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:27

I actually agree with godlameroso... I’ve always had the impression that Carlos sets himself a goal in terms of pace and position and he is great at doing so... Backing Lando into Daniel happened before he started having vibrations in the car (with his engineer asking him to increase the pace more than once before that)... It reminded me a bit of France last year where we had a similar situation of Lando been held back by Carlos.

Now, with Carlos in front, he is entitled to manage his pace... So no fault there, if Lando doesn’t want to be in that position he needs to keep improving his first lap performance... I don’t think that Carlos does it on purpose to hurt Lando or the team, but seems to be his approach once he considers that he can’t overtake the car in front of him
I can understand the notion Carlos was holding Norris up but I don't think this was on purpose. once Lando got past RIC the gap between Lando and Carlos stayed around a constant 2.5s. Lando could have pushed Carlos if he wanted to, but choose to save tryes

I think Lando's lack of pace in races is usually down to him saving his tyres more than Carlos, hence the nick-name 'Last Lap Landon!, where as Carlos keeps running into tyre issues towards the end of the race

Its paid off in the first couple of races this season, but today Carlos was in the way, and I don't think he had the trye life to do anything about it, unlike Austria it was not a good idea, or possible to switch them round

For the last few seasons Mclaren have always been good on their tyres, perhaps this year its not their strongest point, so far. Maybe coming upgrades will help them because that will be a key factor in the fight both this year & next

_cerber1

Despite the results, I am pleased with the Grand Prix, we had a good pace, and the closest rivals could not get around us until the problems with rubber began. And these were only the first updates.

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

If we can think in this angle, the team would definitely have thought about this. They might be discussing this behind closed doors already.
godlameroso wrote:

billamend
billamend

Even Lando was asking him to speed up as he was being caught under the dirty air.

McL-H
McL-H

fouad1979 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:09
Guys we are mclaren and we must look up for me we were not as quick as i want charles beat us and ricciardo was faster and the 2 top teams were in another planet so we must keep going up and not saying waw 5 its amazing !!!
Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps. Victories will come, until then we must remember to celebrate the small successes. Couple of years back we were fighting to get into Q2. Last year we fought for P4 and got it. Right now we are fighting for P3. Rome wasn’t built in one day either. Have faith.

thestig84
thestig84

billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:23
Even Lando was asking him to speed up as he was being caught under the dirty air.
Team radio did say to Lando might aswell get in Sainz DRS then, he didnt seem to be able even get in Sainz DRS whereas DR was always in Landos. I don't think he was being held up all that much