[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Didn't Bottas also gain an engineer last year or something from Lewis Hamilton's side of the garage?

Jolle
Jolle

digitalrurouni wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 16:58
Didn't Bottas also gain an engineer last year or something from Lewis Hamilton's side of the garage?
One of Lewis’ side of the garage got promoted. Wasn’t a swap but basic career progression thingy

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

nacho wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 13:30
I would not think much of it, probably just small mistakes. There has been some strategy calls in recent years that felt a bit "off" though.
Hamilton was leading but was called in after Bottas was already pitted for slicks. Same in Austria 2. So many times BOT(and ROS) were given the better strategies even though HAM was leading.

Unf

Phil wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 16:09
He has the same car and the same equipment.
It's never work like that in 100%. If you need particualr example look at RBR - do you think Ric had the same equipment as Max and that's why he left?

Every teams always pick one of the guy and focus on him. Even if it is like Mercedes is focused on Ham on 100% and on Bottas on 99,8% - there is always a more important car and a bit less important car.

The same happened last year for Kubica and Russell. Do you really believe that it is possible to be beaten on every Q's by margin like 1s?

Hamilton has the same car and is able to almost overlap Bottas just cause Bottas failed on start?
Max is 60s ahead of Albon during the race in the same car?
Alonso was eating Vandoorne in the same car whole season?

etc.

dans79

Unf wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 17:54
The same happened last year for Kubica and Russell. Do you really believe that it is possible to be beaten on every Q's by margin like 1s?
Given Kubica's disability, yes I do.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A

Unf wrote:
Phil wrote:
It's never work like that in 100%. If you need particualr example look at RBR - do you think Ric had the same equipment as Max and that's why he left?

Every teams always pick one of the guy and focus on him. Even if it is like Mercedes is focused on Ham on 100% and on Bottas on 99,8% - there is always a more important car and a bit less important car.

Hamilton has the same car and is able to almost overlap Bottas just cause Bottas failed on start?

etc.
You seems to be someone who used to watch a lot of WWE and then someone said, it's fake and then you stopped believing everything in life and question everything.

You seems to have no idea how the pace of the cars work in the hands of good drivers over a race distance, compared to small difference that is visible in qualifying. How small elements like, a bad start that pushes Bottas behind a few cars on a wet surface where he spends a life time trying to overtake cars in front, can't play a pivotal role against a driver who is the best on the grid under such circumstance disappearing in clear air. Similarly situated Max running away behind Hamilton while his team mate is stuck behind cars.

You really don't seem to differentiate between exceptional drivers like Alonso, Hamilton and Max from the likes of Bottas, Albon and Vandoorne. The fact that, understanding the complex combination of tyre behavior on an evolving track for the length of race which yields heaps of time lap after lap to the best of the drivers Vs their team mates who miss that natural feel for such crucial variables. You blame the teams for such apathetic lack of pace from the substandard team mates. That is why I said in my first response, do think anyone takes you seriously.

Unf

GPR-A wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 18:29
Unf wrote:
Phil wrote:

etc.
You seems to be someone who used to watch a lot of WWE and then someone said, it's fake and then you stopped believing everything in life and question everything.

You seems to have no idea how the pace of the cars work in the hands of good drivers over a race distance, compared to small difference that is visible in qualifying. How small elements like, a bad start that pushes Bottas behind a few cars on a wet surface where he spends a life time trying to overtake cars in front, can't play a pivotal role against a driver who is the best on the grid under such circumstance disappearing in clear air. Similarly situated Max running away behind Hamilton while his team mate is stuck behind cars.

You really don't seem to differentiate between exceptional drivers like Alonso, Hamilton and Max from the likes of Bottas, Albon and Vandoorne. The fact that, understanding the complex combination of tyre behavior on an evolving track for the length of race which yields heaps of time lap after lap to the best of the drivers Vs their team mates who miss that natural feel for such crucial variables. You blame the teams for such apathetic lack of pace from the substandard team mates. That is why I said in my first response, do think anyone takes you seriously.
I respect that you don't agree with my opinion, but I am going to stay with another one - if you believe that all drivers on particualr teams have the same cars, the same rights and there is no little games, no politics, no business decisions etc - you are naive.

Phil

If Bottas did not have equal opportunity or not believe he had the same treatment, we’d hear about it. And it wouldnt be something that would be good for Mercedes image, especially not in light of their pace advantage. RedBull might be different, but this is not the RedBull topic, but the Mercedes one.

I firmly believe, that Bottas has every bit the chance to win and succeed at Mercedes, like Rosberg before him. To Mercedes it makes little difference who wins, as long as it is one if their drivers.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Unf wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 18:37

I respect that you don't agree with my opinion, but I am going to stay with another one - if you believe that all drivers on particualr teams have the same cars, the same rights and there is no little games, no politics, no business decisions etc - you are naive.
Not all drivers on all teams get equal treatment. That's true. But, equally, not all teams give one driver preference over the other. Mercedes are as fair between drivers as any team is/has been. There is evidence of that in this season already in race 1 in Austria. If Hamilton was getting preferential treatment from the team, Bottas would have been ordered to let him through. That didn't happen. Ergo, no preferential treatment.

If you want to keep saying that Hamilton gets preferential treatment to the detriment of Bottas, you'll have to demonstrate it. If it's just because you dislike Hamilton, just man up and admit it and we can all move on. Thanks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Unf

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 18:56
If Hamilton was getting preferential treatment from the team, Bottas would have been ordered to let him through. That didn't happen. Ergo, no preferential treatment.
Of course that kind of situation didn't happen, casue it would be totally scandal.
Everything I say is connected with decisions made behind the scene, not directly smashed to the face, it's easy to understan I assume.

Wynters
Wynters

Unf wrote:
Phil wrote:
It's never work like that in 100%. If you need particualr example look at RBR - do you think Ric had the same equipment as Max and that's why he left? ... The same happened last year for Kubica and Russell. Do you really believe that it is possible to be beaten on every Q's by margin like 1s?
Quoting the policies of different teams (particularly one famous for having their drivers fall out over number 1 and number 2 status) does not prove that a seperate team has the same policy.

You know Rosberg won a WDC?
Unf wrote:
It depends on whether that failed start costs Bottas so many places that he (mis)gambled on an early pitstop and then spent half the race stuck behind much slower cars. If you do that then, yeah, your pace isn't going to be the same as your team mate who is always running in clear air. Particularly at a track like Hungary.
Unf wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 19:28
Everything I say is connected with decisions made behind the scene, not directly smashed to the face, it's easy to understan I assume.
It's a conspiracy whose existence is proved by the lack of proof of its existence? :wtf:

Unf

Wynters wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 20:04
Cause he was not treated as driver no. 2?
Or he had enough balls to not let them treat him like that - crashes with Hamilton were common to some point.
It's a conspiracy whose existence is proved by the lack of proof of its existence? :wtf:
If I would say that people on Nigeria don't like cricket - it's not true just beacue I don't have a proof? It's logic. And it's logic that Hamilton is a Mercedeses star and they will do everything for him - unlikely for Bottas.

Phil

Everything for him? Lets hear your examples of what they did for him, that Bottas lacked.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Unf wrote:
Phil wrote:

etc.
Yes , the bolded part is very possible, RUS is that good and KUB is now that slow. KUB crashed 3x in Australia, he was not good last year and kept making mistakes. Put any of us in a car and the slowest F1 driver will qualify much more than 1s ahead of us.

You are not understanding the effect of traffic, for example Verstappen was behind Hamilton 8s in 3 laps, not because Verstappen was slow, but because he was stuck behind Stroll, who was driving slower than he was possible of because he was focused on keeping Verstappen behind. At that rate Verstappen would have been lapped twice.

Laserguru

Unf wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 22:39
Wynters wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 20:04
Cause he was not treated as driver no. 2?
Or he had enough balls to not let them treat him like that - crashes with Hamilton were common to some point.
If I would say that people on Nigeria don't like cricket - it's not true just beacue I don't have a proof? It's logic. And it's logic that Hamilton is a Mercedeses star and they will do everything for him - unlikely for Bottas.
I have to admit I find your reasoning fascinating.

Bottas will become this years WDC by the fact that Toto still is secretly managing him, and now that Niki sadly is no longer here, there is no longer any obstacle to prevent him from favoring Bottas. Noticed Lewis was told first he had gearbox issues in Austria race 1? Opened the gap from Bottas to Hamilton! It was so obvious that Toto had to tell Bottas to fake some marginal errors to cover it up this race. Start in second gear. Fake an almost false start, like Bottas demonstrated before he has this ability. Light up some LEDs on his dasboard on purpose (this never happened before!) to explain the jumpstart. Later in the race Bottas decided he was fed up with it and unleashed his true pace which we all have witnessed. Of course just not passing Max, he did adhere to Toto’s masterplan, his race engineer gave him exactly the right lap time target to finish within 1 second behind Verstappen. Toto then tried to put Lewis on the wrong tire too early for his fastest lap in an attempt to make Lewis look foolish, and once this strategy failed by being too obvious, Toto interfered with the pitstop to make it last that little bit longer, to try and close the gap to Max as much as possible, and make Lewis finish only marginally ahead compared to the huge gap he had before.

No need to prove, pure logic?
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.