[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wass85
Wass85

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

tangodjango wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 18:39
dans79 wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 18:21
Andy Cowell on Lewis.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/27/rac ... p-27-08-3/
"Lewis is the best. Outstanding natural talent and that inquisitive curiosity and tenacity. He'll push for progress and push for people to hear his viewpoint in a nice way. And as an individual he's not competitive to the point of being nasty and there are some individuals on the planet who push competitiveness to the point where it bubbles over to just not being sporting. Lewis is a true sportsman and a motivator of the team. An outstanding talent. His exemplary performance makes everybody look up and go 'I need to be at that level, I need to be operating my game at that level'."
This one by James Allison is also revealing:

James Allison, technical director at Hamilton’s Mercedes team, is in a unique position to judge his qualities. Allison has worked closely with not only Hamilton but also Schumacher, Alonso and four-time champion Sebastian Vettel.
“If they all had to be in a super-team fighting it out every year,” Allison says, “my guess is that Lewis would end up on top. Maybe not every season, but if they kept coming back every year to do battle in some sort of Valhalla-type confrontation, more often than not it would be Lewis wearing the crown at the end of the year.
“Of that cluster, I think he is the quickest, at his best, and he shows us his best extremely frequently. It’s not by accident that he is the all-time pole record holder. He just has a better turn of speed than the others.”
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... dy-f1-icon
Let's be honest he's probably not going to say it's one of the others whilst he's currently working with Lewis, he also said at a guess.

Wass85
Wass85

Interesting from Norbert Haug.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/hamilton ... rrari.html

Lewis Hamilton's team and car are better than the ones raced to similar levels of success by seven time world champion Michael Schumacher.

That is the claim of former Mercedes boss Norbert Haug, with Hamilton poised to soon race past Schumacher's all time record for the number of grand prix wins (91).

Hamilton is also expected to match the F1 legend's unprecedented tally of seven drivers' world championships this year.

"For so long it was inconceivable that Michael's unique records would ever be overtaken or even matched," Haug told Sport1.

"But Michael never had such a superior environment and such an unrivalled racing car as Lewis has at Mercedes.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Oh look. There's a surprise. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

I also see that none of the questions he 'replied to' are included. That falls into man in the pub said style journalism (not that I disagree with him)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:21
I also see that none of the questions he 'replied to' are included. That falls into man in the pub said style journalism (not that I disagree with him)
Here is the actual article with questions!
https://www.sport1.de/motorsport/formel ... schumacher
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

And this little bit was notably missed by wass85
"That should by no means diminish the great performance of this man and exceptional driver, who I have known from karting to Formula Renault, Formula 3, GP2 to Formula 1," he said.

"What Lewis has shown for 14 years now in Formula 1 in terms of consistency and ability is simply unique, and will most likely never be repeated."
Again, no surprise...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tangodjango
tangodjango

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:39
"That should by no means diminish the great performance of this man and exceptional driver, who I have known from karting to Formula Renault, Formula 3, GP2 to Formula 1," he said.

"What Lewis has shown for 14 years now in Formula 1 in terms of consistency and ability is simply unique, and will most likely never be repeated."
Again, no surprise...
He also missed the part about Schumacher's teammates being contractual number 2's and Schumacher running away from facing Kimi on equal footing but I don't want to elaborate because the usual suspects will jump in and derail the thread with their usual vitriol and illogical tripe.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Wass85
Wass85

OK fellas I got you, I'm just pointing out the headlines.

He did actually say those words, it wasn't me.

Wass85
Wass85

tangodjango wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:43
Just_a_fan wrote:

Again, no surprise...
He also missed the part about Schumacher's teammates being contractual number 2's and Schumacher running away from facing Kimi on equal footing but I don't want to elaborate because the usual suspects will jump in and derail the thread with their usual vitriol and illogical tripe.
Where was that part, I missed it?

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
I cannot get past the Advert, but if I could, I cannot read German either :mrgreen: (Some of us are plebs)

Thanks anyway

PS

Not suggesting Wass85 did anything wrong, it is just the style of 'He said' reporting with no background, so take my word for it.
Last edited by Big Tea on 27 Aug 2020, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85
Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 22:08
dans79 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
I cannot get past the Advert, but if I could, I cannot read German either :mrgreen: (Some of us are plebs)

Thanks anyway
He doesn't really say anything more on the discussion I posted tbh.

He did also mention that he rates Verstappen just as highly as Hamilton, fine praise from the man.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:

Thanks anyway
Here is the browser translated parts that are relevant.

SPORT1: Mr. Haug, Lewis Hamilton is well on the way to surpass Michael Schumacher's record of 91 victories - and also to draw level with world championship titles. Did you ever think someone could do it?

Norbert Haug: For ages it was unimaginable that Michael's previously unique record would ever be overtaken or even surpassed. But if you paid attention, it became clear two years ago at the latest that Lewis is on the very best path to surpass all existing Formula 1 records. Michael never had such a superior environment and such an unrivaled racing car as Lewis found at Mercedes. Which should by no means diminish the great performance of this man and exceptional driver, whom I have accompanied from karting to Formula Renault, Formula 3, GP2 to Formula 1, and there then his first pole position, his first victory at the GP Canada 2007 and witnessed his first world championship won in 2008. What Lewis has shown in terms of consistency and ability in Formula 1 for 14 years now, is simply unique and has never been there before. And in my estimation it will most likely never be repeated.
SPORT1: To what extent did you see how strong Lewis was back then?

Norbert Haug: Lewis did not fall from the sky into the kart as a potential world champion. It is well known that he grew up in modest circumstances. His father Anthony is the main blacksmith and cornerstone of Lewis' success story. Without his tireless work to earn money for his son's sport, the successful basis could never have been created. What Lewis knows, of course, and what he will be eternally grateful to his father for. The young Lewis was already special when he was our guest at Mika Häkkinen's world championship party at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart at the age of 14.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 22:21
Big Tea wrote:

Thanks anyway
Here is the browser translated parts that are relevant.

SPORT1: Mr. Haug, Lewis Hamilton is well on the way to surpass Michael Schumacher's record of 91 victories - and also to draw level with world championship titles. Did you ever think someone could do it?

Norbert Haug: For ages it was unimaginable that Michael's previously unique record would ever be overtaken or even surpassed. But if you paid attention, it became clear two years ago at the latest that Lewis is on the very best path to surpass all existing Formula 1 records. Michael never had such a superior environment and such an unrivaled racing car as Lewis found at Mercedes. Which should by no means diminish the great performance of this man and exceptional driver, whom I have accompanied from karting to Formula Renault, Formula 3, GP2 to Formula 1, and there then his first pole position, his first victory at the GP Canada 2007 and witnessed his first world championship won in 2008. What Lewis has shown in terms of consistency and ability in Formula 1 for 14 years now, is simply unique and has never been there before. And in my estimation it will most likely never be repeated.
SPORT1: To what extent did you see how strong Lewis was back then?

Norbert Haug: Lewis did not fall from the sky into the kart as a potential world champion. It is well known that he grew up in modest circumstances. His father Anthony is the main blacksmith and cornerstone of Lewis' success story. Without his tireless work to earn money for his son's sport, the successful basis could never have been created. What Lewis knows, of course, and what he will be eternally grateful to his father for. The young Lewis was already special when he was our guest at Mika Häkkinen's world championship party at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart at the age of 14.
Thanks.

PlatinumZealot

Wass85 wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:08

Lewis Hamilton's team and car are better than the ones raced to similar levels of success by seven time world champion Michael Schumacher.

That is the claim of former Mercedes boss Norbert Haug, with Hamilton poised to soon race past Schumacher's all time record for the number of grand prix wins (91).

Hamilton is also expected to match the F1 legend's unprecedented tally of seven drivers' world championships this year.

"For so long it was inconceivable that Michael's unique records would ever be overtaken or even matched," Haug told Sport1.

"But Michael never had such a superior environment and such an unrivalled racing car as Lewis has at Mercedes.
You never fail to charm us. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wass85
Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 16:40
Wass85 wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 21:08

You never fail to charm us. :wink:
He's some fella old Norbert I agree.