[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

holeindalip wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:07
LM10 wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 15:23
Seems like Gary Anderson only remembers the time from 2018 on. It’s like a slap in the face to tell that Mercedes did not have the edge in the first few years primarily because of their PU.
He seems to have forgotten 2017 as well when Ferrari with a superior chassis got slaughtered on the straights by Mercedes.

As for his claim that it’s not been a Mercedes era - couldn’t disagree more. Hamilton is the best driver, but he’s not been the biggest factor in the domination of Mercedes.

It’s not the first time Gary Anderson talks some weird stuff. Remember him being sure about Ferrari walking to the title in 2019. We all know how that turned out.
Dating back to 2017 and including this year, how many drivers titles would have been won without Hamilton in that seat?

Edit: not to come off d*ckish, and I know it’s not just cut and dry not knowing how other drivers would perform in that car...
Probably depends on which seat Hamilton HAD been in :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

Had to post this, like a bucking bronco...from Motorsportmagazine.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Mattchu wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:51

https://i.postimg.cc/TYdn6GLM/fly.png
Woah! Is that real? I'd have thought a F1 car catching air like that would be dangerous.

LM10
LM10

e30ernest wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 03:56
Mattchu wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:51

https://i.postimg.cc/TYdn6GLM/fly.png
Woah! Is that real? I'd have thought a F1 car catching air like that would be dangerous.
Just curb riding at slow speed.

McG

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:47
McG wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:29
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:20

Mercedes don't have a designated or contracted number 1 or number 2 driver. They have two drivers with equal rights and privileges, although one just happens to be somewhat better than the other so almost always beats him in a fair fight. They are happy to have two cars battle, as has been clearly shown for the last seven seasons. What they are not happy with is having their drivers infighting.
No they don't have it designated, but grey have a clear number 1 anyway. And that's their choice to stick with that year after year. You are assuming and speculating that there would be infighting like with Hamilton and Rosberg but no one knows that as Alonso or Max were never given a chance. No wonder Hamilton seems like an angel, he has never had a real challenge since Rosberg and even that is arguable.
I think you're being pretty disingenuous there. Like I said, there is no number one driver and basically no credible evidence to support that theory.

If they have two drivers that can coexist well and bring home both championships year after year then why would they ever even want to consider a change? Why bother with the price tag and baggage and headaches that Alonso and Verstappen would come with, when they already have the ace in the pack driving for them?
I resent being called disingenuous by someone as blind to the facts as you. You're the one being disingenuous by ignoring the fact Hamilton has destroyed Bottas every season they have been teammates and Mercedes on occasion have made Bottas play second fiddle to Hamilton.

You know Ross Brawn still says to this day that Barichello was never a 2nd driver to Schumacher :lol:
F1 is dead.

Shrieker

If Hamilton manages to win all 4 remaining races, he will match Schumacher and Vettel for most wins in a season, and have them beat on %; becoming the most successful driver over a season too. They both had more than 17 races to do it; Lewis has 17 this year.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

El Scorchio

McG wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:13
El Scorchio wrote:
McG wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:29

No they don't have it designated, but grey have a clear number 1 anyway. And that's their choice to stick with that year after year. You are assuming and speculating that there would be infighting like with Hamilton and Rosberg but no one knows that as Alonso or Max were never given a chance. No wonder Hamilton seems like an angel, he has never had a real challenge since Rosberg and even that is arguable.
I think you're being pretty disingenuous there. Like I said, there is no number one driver and basically no credible evidence to support that theory.

If they have two drivers that can coexist well and bring home both championships year after year then why would they ever even want to consider a change? Why bother with the price tag and baggage and headaches that Alonso and Verstappen would come with, when they already have the ace in the pack driving for them?
I resent being called disingenuous by someone as blind to the facts as you. You're the one being disingenuous by ignoring the fact Hamilton has destroyed Bottas every season they have been teammates and Mercedes on occasion have made Bottas play second fiddle to Hamilton.

You know Ross Brawn still says to this day that Barichello was never a 2nd driver to Schumacher :lol:
Well Hamilton is just that much better. Not his fault. Also they make him play second fiddle to Bottas if it’s best for the team- Monza 2019.

McG

El Scorchio wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:20
McG wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Well Hamilton is just that much better. Not his fault. Also they make him play second fiddle to Bottas if it’s best for the team- Monza 2019.
Nice ninja edit.

Had enough of your semantics.

Bottas is as much a 2nd driver as Barichello and Massa/Schumacher and Massa/Alonso.

Maybe you'll eventually realise after Hamilton destroys Bottas next season again.
F1 is dead.

El Scorchio

McG wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:29
El Scorchio wrote:
McG wrote:

Nice ninja edit.

https://ibb.co/H24J7PF

Bottas is as much a 2nd driver as Barichello and Massa/Schumacher and Massa/Alonso.

Maybe you'll eventually realise after Hamilton destroys Bottas next season again.
Yeah I realised that I had slightly the wrong end of the stick with what you’d said about Brawn. And corrected it as soon as I did.

And if you want to believe Bottas is a second driver anything like Schumacher’s team mates were, then you go on believing that. You’re completely and utterly wrong though.

El Scorchio

McG wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
McG wrote:

Nice ninja edit.

Hamilton destroying Bottas has zero relevance to any sort of team designated 1 or 2 driver. It’s simply talent. Bottas has every chance.

Shrieker

McG wrote:

Extremely unfair towards Bottas. Barichello never harried Schumacher the way Bottas was able to with Hamilton, and at points he let Schumacher pass on the goddamn finish line. How can anyone compare the two is beyond me.

As for Massa, he was at his prime when he was team mates with Michael, and they never treated him the same way they did with Rubens, who was a true number two. When he was partnered with Alonso, it was after his head injury and a lot of people agree that he wasn't the same as before, which forced him into a number two role. Again, doesn't hold any water at all if you try to compare Massa then, with Bottas now.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

McG

El Scorchio wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:38
McG wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Nice ninja edit.

Yeah I realised that I had slightly the wrong end of the stick with what you’d said about Brawn. And corrected it as soon as I did.

And if you want to believe Bottas is a second driver anything like Schumacher’s team mates were, then you go on believing that. You’re completely and utterly wrong though.
You are relying on your ridiculous semantics again. I never said anything to do with "designated" 2nd driver yet you still keep clinging to that rhetoric.

The reality is there doesn't have to be a designation as results speak for themselves. Especially when the same thing happens year after year.

From this moment on I will assume you have an extremely low IQ.
F1 is dead.

McG

Shrieker wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:47
McG wrote:

Extremely unfair towards Bottas. Barichello never harried Schumacher the way Bottas was able to with Hamilton, and at points he let Schumacher pass on the goddamn finish line. How can anyone compare the two is beyond me.

As for Massa, he was at his prime when he was team mates with Michael, and they never treated him the same way they did with Rubens, who was a true number two. When he was partnered with Alonso, it was after his head injury and a lot of people agree that he wasn't the same as before, which forced him into a number two role. Again, doesn't hold any water at all if you try to compare Massa then, with Bottas now.
It holds more that water. Have a look at the Results. I would post links bit I assume pictures would be more suitable for you.
F1 is dead.

Shrieker

McG wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 17:03
Shrieker wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 16:47
McG wrote:

It holds more that water. Have a look at the Results. I would post links bit I assume pictures would be more suitable for you.
I've watched both eras live. You don't have to post anything. If you think Bottas is as far away from Hamilton as Rubens was from Schumacher, or that he's being treated the same way he was, all I'm gonna say is you're sorely mistaken.
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

I also remember Hamilton giving up a position to Bottas in Hungary when trying to pass the Ferraris. he gave a place back despite being in the 2nd half of the season and in a championship battle with Vettel. If a team had a definite number 1 and number 2, there's no way that result would have happened. The schumacher barrichello incident in 2002 was an absolute joke. only 5 races before this one in the season, and after this race Schumacher had double the points of the guy in 2nd place in the standings. It cant get any more blatant that a team had a number 1 and a number 2.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC