Cosworth VJ 3.0L V-10 piston?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Schumifan78

Cosworth VJ 3.0L V-10 piston?

Hi everyone, first post so I hope it's in the right spot!
Over ten years ago I acquired a piston/rod that is supposed to be from a 2001 Minardi, which used the VJ series Cosworth V-10 if I'm not mistaken?
Piston looks like it could be genuine but I don't think the rod is, any thoughts on authenticity or anything else
appreciated : )

63l8qrrfy6

Re: Cosworth VJ 3.0L V-10 piston?

Piston is authentic, I have one too.
Don't know about the rest.

CMSMJ1

Rod similar to the TJ one I bought from Brian on here.

Have a look at the excellent threads he has done on the TJ motor - brilliant work
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AJI
AJI

The rod doesn't look anything like the TJ rod I purchased from Brian, but that that's not super surprising considering it's an earlier design. The TJ rod is far more refined with a lot more material removed and additional releifs for what I assume is weight reduction?

e36jon

Here's the TJ rod that a number of us have (See labeling on the rod in the first image.).

There are variations even within these as some have the serrated interface between the rod and cap, different cap shapes and some have slightly different pockets...

I second the suggestion to seek out Brian's thread(s) as they are really something...

D'oh! Re-read your request and see that it's a VJ rod you're asking about... Let me see what I can find.

Schumifan78

Thanks for replies guys 👍
E36jon, yes, I cannot find any info or pics of a VJ series rod anywhere!
That TJ rod looks cool 😎
As has been stated in one of the replies the rod I have does not look as "advanced" as the TJ rod, however it is an older and lower revving engine so I guess that is to be expected?

Brian.G

That is a correct VJ Piston and rod - the rod cap might not be the correct matched one but they are the correct parts in terms of shape. The VJ was the 1998 Ford Zetec V10 Engine - 72degress - TJ was 90deg.
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

Schumifan78

Brian.G wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 17:34
That is a correct VJ Piston and rod - the rod cap might not be the correct matched one but they are the correct parts in terms of shape. The VJ was the 1998 Ford Zetec V10 Engine - 72degress - TJ was 90deg.
Thanks Brian, that is good to know, could not find any info or images of VJ rods 👍🍻