Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPBD1990

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Has anyone seen/heard any commentary regarding car behaviour on track? I’ve only heard the Mercedes looks great and is fast in sector 3 so... strap in boys!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

Sensors on the new bigger squirt control slot.

munudeges

You can't look at minute details with these cars and say this or that is happening, all you can do is look at the big stuff and the big differences. The glaring thing from looking at that Ferrari is the nose and front section. They just don't seem to have moved on as many other teams have done. Most teams have gone in at least a similar direction to Mercedes in narrowing the nose and reducing the frontal area. Red Bull seems to be a bit more nuanced than others. Ferrari.....don't appear to have done anything. One assumes, and hopes, they have got a planned update coming during these tests.

Xwang

Last year after the first races they said that from then on they would have worked on optimizing what was possible without touching what would have required a B spec car.
But in this year car I don not see nothing different from last year from the point of you of the chassis.
I seems that the same modifications could have been applied to SF90 chassis too.
Am I missing something?

timbo

Xwang wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 16:25
But in this year car I don not see nothing different from last year from the point of you of the chassis.
I seems that the same modifications could have been applied to SF90 chassis too.
Am I missing something?
The packaging is something which cannot be easily changed. The differences in the arrangement of the sidepods are very visible. So no, you can't say the car is SF90 with different bargeboards.

Xwang

You are right.
I'm referring to the suspension kinematics and chassis concept.
The monocoque seems pretty the same.

Sevach

munudeges wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 15:35
You can't look at minute details with these cars and say this or that is happening, all you can do is look at the big stuff and the big differences. The glaring thing from looking at that Ferrari is the nose and front section. They just don't seem to have moved on as many other teams have done. Most teams have gone in at least a similar direction to Mercedes in narrowing the nose and reducing the frontal area. Red Bull seems to be a bit more nuanced than others. Ferrari.....don't appear to have done anything. One assumes, and hopes, they have got a planned update coming during these tests.
Imo Ferrari's biggest concern at the moment should be to understand what they have.
In what areas it's weak(er)?
Can it be changed with a tweaked setup?

After that you can think new bits.

On onboards they seemed to oversteer in low speed stuff, good balance on medium speed.

Xwang

I've see that they have opened the air exit under the Halo.
Mercedes is completely closed.

CriXus

According to Ted Kravitz, Ferrari will have major upgrade for Melbourne.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Mr.G

It looks like the SF1000 does the squat again. It's not so obvious like last year testing but it looks like it's there...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

LM10

Mr.G wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 19:53
It looks like the SF1000 does the squat again. It's not so obvious like last year testing but it looks like it's there...
Yea, also noticed. They've not had it all day, though. Obviously testing and trying out different set ups.

Ringleheim

munudeges wrote:
This is the first thing I thought of as I looked at the Ferrari photos from testing.

I totally ignored the front wing at the unveiling in Reggio Emilia as I assumed that was all for show and had nothing to do with the real wing.

But they should be running the real wing in Barcelona--and--it is still the same basic concept as last year! You know, the one that was shown to be not the way to go.

And I also see LeClerc's best time is 1.3 sec off Hammy's best time.

Great.

MtthsMlw

Ringleheim wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:52
munudeges wrote:
This is the first thing I thought of as I looked at the Ferrari photos from testing.

I totally ignored the front wing at the unveiling in Reggio Emilia as I assumed that was all for show and had nothing to do with the real wing.

But they should be running the real wing in Barcelona--and--it is still the same basic concept as last year! You know, the one that was shown to be not the way to go.

And I also see LeClerc's best time is 1.3 sec off Hammy's best time.

Great.
You mean the one every other team is kind of converging to?