[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

It is not a technical one, so no need to worry about car design. Because of that there is a good chance that the car submission will still be on Sunday night.
For more info, I have to wait for Richard though.

Ft5fTL

I think we should have a voting system or something for late rule changes that affects cars. You say its not a major thing but still, i remember last years diffuser loophole fix on last week before the submission of 3rd race. That didnt do any good to my car. We are investing time, we should have some saying to last minute stuff like this.
Last edited by Ft5fTL on 05 May 2020, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

jjn9128

That's getting into F1 territory of the lunatics running the asylum there :lol:

but for the record I'd be against any bodywork volume changes mid-season.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123
wesley123

Ft5fTL wrote:
04 May 2020, 22:34
I think we should have a voting system or something for late rule changes that affects cars.
But who has the veto? :lol:
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Joe7218
Joe7218

jjn9128 wrote:
04 May 2020, 12:53
Joe7218 wrote:
04 May 2020, 12:43
I'm really at a loss with what's happening with my floor performance. I've lost 3/4 of my downforce (currently making -0.3) and the only thing I've changed is the sidepods slightly. The floor plank is still producing the same amount and the pressure patches look better then they did when the floor had a cl of -1.2?
What's the top surface doing? Have you got more low pressure above or less high pressure? Outwash around the front of the floor can affect the high pressure region ahead of the rear wheels or the peak diffuser flow. Is your total force better even if the floor is worse?

Difficult to help without pics but understandable if you're not keen to share.
from left to right: cl=-1,-0,7,-0,2. from the first to the second image i significantly changed the side pod structure( although the shape is similar. From the second to third image I changed the outer edge of the floor and the diffuser profile, however the low pressure zone under the diffuser in the third pic is the largest so in theory it should generate the most down force(?). to me it looks like the pressure on top of the floor is similar throughout the iterations (disregarding the pattern on the third pic, im going to spend tomorrow afternoon trying to fix that) thanks for anyone's help:)

LVDH

wesley123 wrote:
04 May 2020, 23:07
Ft5fTL wrote:
04 May 2020, 22:34
I think we should have a voting system or something for late rule changes that affects cars.
But who has the veto? :lol:
I do :twisted:

So, because so many teams (some 50) have singed up, there will be a qualifying format in case too many teams submit a car. Richard will post it himself. It does not affect your car design at all and we will delay the first submission by one week.

machin

-IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT-

Hi guys, as you know we have had a big increase in the number of people enrolled in the championship this year, and this potentially causes a problem for us to perform the official CFD analyses... so here is what we plan to do;

We plan to officially test the top 15 cars. So obviously if we get less than 15 cars submitted all cars will be tested. The way we plan to pick the top 15 cars is as follows; when you submit your car you must also submit the lap time you expect to beat based on your own CFD simulations. We will then test the cars with the top 15 submitted times. If you fail to beat your submitted times then you will be disqualified from the current race, and barred from entry to the next race (This is to dissuade entrants from submitting an exaggerated time, just to get your car officially analysed).

I need to find out from Andre (LVDH) if the submission date for the first race is going to be pushed back a little.

Thanks in advance for your understanding, and good luck with your designs.

These new "qualification rules" have been added the Challenge website:

https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-2019/
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

jjn9128

Joe7218 wrote:
05 May 2020, 01:15
The second image that high pressure region ahead of the rear tyre is definitely bigger than the first, not sure if it's 0.3Cz bigger but that will be some of it. I'd say the 3rd image looks like there's a hole in the mesh or something, you'd normally get some outlandish result like a 400Cz with a hole but I'd start by checking the mesh is water tight.

Wow 50 to 15 is a serious pre-qualifying cull :wtf:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

Hi, which MantiumFlow setup should we use for qualification? 2500 or 4000 iterations?

LVDH

jjn9128 wrote:
05 May 2020, 09:17
Joe7218 wrote:
The second image that high pressure region ahead of the rear tyre is definitely bigger than the first, not sure if it's 0.3Cz bigger but that will be some of it. I'd say the 3rd image looks like there's a hole in the mesh or something, you'd normally get some outlandish result like a 400Cz with a hole but I'd start by checking the mesh is water tight.

Yeah, sounds a bit bad at first sight. I will present all teams though and those that do not go through qualifying simply use the submitted time as race time. And then we do not know into how many submissions these 50 registered teams will materialize.

The problem is not even computing resources but there are many aspects of a race, that I cannot or only with a lot of effort get automated. If one or two people would join the MVRC team, we could "race" more cars. Actually even registered teams could help.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
05 May 2020, 09:33
Hi, which MantiumFlow setup should we use for qualification? 2500 or 4000 iterations?
This is your own strategic decision. Keep in mind, you are supposed to submit a time that you will beat. So even if you are 100% sure about your simulation, you should probably shave a few tenths off of your submitted time.

Joe7218
Joe7218

jjn9128 wrote:
Joe7218 wrote:

thanks for your advice :) wouldnt the larger high pressure region in the second image mean it should have more downforce then the second image though (all else being the same)?

jjn9128

Joe7218 wrote:
05 May 2020, 10:43
jjn9128 wrote:
Joe7218 wrote:

thanks for your advice :) wouldnt the larger high pressure region in the second image mean it should have more downforce then the second image though (all else being the same)?
#-o obviously. I'm very tired.
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

Hi, I finally run the first 2020 "full" simulation. I was wondering if there has been any change in the mesh setup or boundary conditions since 2019 (in order to compare the new car to the old one: at the moment the new one is slower!)

I tested Variante's advice about rake, but my car design seems to work only with very small angles (from -0.15° to 0.0°). I think bigger "rake" would require a specific design.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 05 May 2020, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

wb92

The idea with qualifying is indeed interesting. Let's see how it would turn out - so the submission deadline is postponed right?

That may make debut of the new car sooner than later (maybe). As mentioned once - if you build your car around certain rake, it won't switch so easily to another.
MVRC - WBRacing