2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:44
Restomaniac wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:43
dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:42

it doesn't work that way, procedures must be followed no matter what. That means the delegate must receive the evidence and examine it, even if he literally looked at the exact same parts the day before.
Then the procedures are idiotic.
You never want to work for a government then, you will be unhappy.
\:D/ \:D/

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

maxxer wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 22:52
probably their funding is ending end of this season with renault cars being in so much trouble needing government funding + no one want to use their engines for next year , time to pull the plug and move on.
not by any margin.

The whole idea that Renault is in trouble 'needing' government funding because of 'corona' is total nonsense if you actually look into the facts instead of just following a media 'crisis' hype. Even IF Renault gets government funding that does not mean at all they're in trouble or ever have been in trouble. At best it's strategic. But that doesn't make shock 'clicbait' headlines, now does it?

Renault F1's backing is staying, and they're in for the long run. Signing Alonso is one of the clear signals here.
They have enough money, and will keep having enough money.

And it's not about nobody 'wanting' their engine, it's about that which works best in either long-term goals or simple prospects. Mclaren going back to Mercedes power MUST have more to do than meets the eye.
Look at how they're performing right now, they're actually THIRD in the drivers championship and SECOND in the WCC, with Renault power, outclassing the works team by a mile.

I also think it's just a matter of time before Renault is signed with another team.
Williams would be my number one pick, but for that to happen first Russell must find another spot, as the Russell deal is beneficial for Williams financially due to discounts to the Mercedes engine, arguably the best engine in the field anyway. Williams is looking for a buyer, and things might change lightning fast.

With RP turning into AM next year and Toto there, paired to Merc power, i can definately see Russell going there 2021 if the situation at Mercedes itself does not (substancially) alter. I expect nothing less than Renault power @ Williams in the near future.

Haas could be the other team going for Renault power. They're not where they want to be, they're not happy with the Ferrari power unit, and Ferrari has Alfa as their B-team, Haas is a 'customer', nothing more. So i wouldn't be surprised if HAAS is thinking about Renault power and a new 'relationship'.

Hell, why not both? Renault Works team, Renault supplying Williams, and becoming a partner with Haas. Plenty of seats for their Academy drivers to be housed and keep everybody happy.

I don't think this hating for Renault is justified.
There is only one form of hating justified regarding Renault and that is Abiteboul.
He was bad at Caterham and he is bad at Renault. He shouldn't ever have been remotely close, but well, it is as it is.
At this point to be honest, i don't think Binotto is any different though, another guy at the wrong place that is out of touch with reality.

I am expecting a change though, and i'm very much expecting Abiteboul announcing to step back sooner or later during this season and make way for somebody else, and go and helm another position somewhere.
Hell, somehow, i actually wouldn't be surprised to see Cyril go to a high function @ Nissan.

Yes, it's a sore move by Renault, but no plug is being pulled in any way at Renault.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dans79 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:42

it doesn't work that way, procedures must be followed no matter what. That means the delegate must receive the evidence and examine it, even if he literally looked at the exact same parts the day before.
Actually, it's great as long as you simply put your 'own logic switch' to 'ignore mode'.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

dans79

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:00
dans79 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Actually, it's great as long as you simply put your 'own logic switch' to 'ignore mode'.
ignoring or changing procedures without approval is a good way of getting fired.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Only if they want to get rid of you (anyway). But I agree, it is good there are clear procedures for these kind of things. You want this to be handled clear and fair.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

komninosm wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 22:12
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:18
JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:09

I don't see the issue with having tyres that last. People are always complaining that Pirelli tyres are too fragile! So isn't it better that the tyres are hard and durable, and don't need to be nursed? :)
The tires last, but only if you are easy on them. Push them hard and they will overheat and lose massive grip. Unfortunately they might last all race, but only when cruising.

F1 needs tires that can pushed hard in order make alternate strategies possible
Exactly. The tires should degrade, they should not overheat. Let them push when they want and for how long they want.
Also the fuel limit makes teams cruise a lot too. We need to bring refueling back during pit stops as this will make strategies with more pit stops much stronger without idiotic artificial requirements for pitting 2 times or whatever.
No, no, no. Most teams are under fueled, they don't fill up the cars, the race fuel limit is not any type of problem and refueling is the worst thing F1 could reintroduce.

We don't need more pit stops, we need more on track action/battles. If anything we need the 2005 tires back. I'd rather watch side by side racing rather than F1 cars at the pit speed limit.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:04
Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:00
dans79 wrote:

ignoring or changing procedures without approval is a good way of getting fired.
I don't think you understand my point. If 'idiotic' government procedures are making you unhappy,
you should simply turn your switch from 'i am triggered by this idiocy' to 'ignore mode on' and you will
do the job as demanded with a smile, and get happy paychecks.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:43
Could a car be driven flat out to the limit of the tyres with the current fuel usage restrictions? All very well saying "we want tyres that can be driven hard for a full stint" if the car will be lift and coasting for half the race anyway to stay within the fuel limits.
There was a thread on this...
I am not sayong that my opinion is valued more than others, but i did some quick calculations and the cork in the bottle is the consequence of taking a pitstop . It is like a penalty to stop and change tyres and that penalty is too big for teams to try additional stops. Stop a second time and you are 25 seconds behind where you were with the trye advantage not enough to make it up.

To reduce that punishment.
My solution was to bring back refuelling so that cars can choose to start lighter. And at the same time keep pitstop times to a minimum. This will allow variable strategies and flat out driving.

I want to write to the FIA about the details of this solution but i need some help to get in contact with them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

@ the Renault protest. Perhaps Renault is seeking clarification to know if they can copy Mercedes Brake ducts too!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43
zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:29
zibby43 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:28
Restomaniac wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:01
If that we’re the case then the FIA would have thrown this request out instead they’ve sealed and impounded parts.
Yeah but the stewards aren't technical experts. If a technical protest has complied with all the procedural requirements, it's going to be accepted. In the case of DAS, the timing of the protest was such that a ruling was needed that weekend, and an FIA technical delegate was on hand to adjudicate.

In this instance, it's extremely likely that the stewards will accept the protest as a procedural matter so that the evidence may be collected. It will then be forwarded on to the relevant FIA Technical Delegates. Which is what has transpired thus far.
But... did they have the same ducts on when FIA examined it?
These brake ducts are the same ones they've been using since Barcelona testing, as far as I'm aware.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:34
@ the Renault protest. Perhaps Renault is seeking clarification to know if they can copy Mercedes Brake ducts too!
I agree in the manner that there could be something else behind Renault's decision to protest.
I doubt it's about the brake ducts, and i much more wonder whether they can make a deal with HAAS for 2021 or 2022 perhaps and 'deliver' Haas with last season's Renault, including power plant etc, perhaps label it Nissan/Infinity.

dans79

Honestly, with Alonso coming back I could see Renault just becoming an engine supplier again and Alonso buying the team as Peter Windsor suggested.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:35
Wynters wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:32
Okay, so Bottas pushed Verstappen off the track on the exit of the corner during his first overtake. Verstappen is the faster car and ahead...but no penalty.

So Perez pushes Albon off the track on the exit of the corner. Albon is the faster car and ahead and they contact...but no penalty.

So Stroll pushes Ricciardo so wide that Stroll himself drives completely off the track costing Ricciardo two places...but no penalty.

F***ing Stewards.
Stroll pushed Norris on to the kerbs in T4 too. No penalty.

Funny how penalties follow the title race at times. Almost like someone is trying engineer excitement over the season.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as, Horner is straight on the tadio to race control and complaining. We know for a fact they complain a lot about car legality. So I bet its the same on driver incidents. Other teams just get on with it. RedBull whine and whine and force a decision.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

komninosm
komninosm

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:10
komninosm wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 22:12
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:18

The tires last, but only if you are easy on them. Push them hard and they will overheat and lose massive grip. Unfortunately they might last all race, but only when cruising.

F1 needs tires that can pushed hard in order make alternate strategies possible
Exactly. The tires should degrade, they should not overheat. Let them push when they want and for how long they want.
Also the fuel limit makes teams cruise a lot too. We need to bring refueling back during pit stops as this will make strategies with more pit stops much stronger without idiotic artificial requirements for pitting 2 times or whatever.
No, no, no. Most teams are under fueled, they don't fill up the cars, the race fuel limit is not any type of problem and refueling is the worst thing F1 could reintroduce.

We don't need more pit stops, we need more on track action/battles. If anything we need the 2005 tires back. I'd rather watch side by side racing rather than F1 cars at the pit speed limit.
They don't fill up the cars because they cannot use the extra fuel, because the tires overheat. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Also filling up the whole fuel load would make the car heavy and slow (and is bad on tires too). While half-filling up during pit stops would not have that problem. You would use your whole fuel allotment too.
So Refueling is far from the worst thing F1 could reintroduce. How about grooved tires? Ugly and stupid.

"We don't need more pit stops" is just your opinion. Some people do enjoy the strategy part of F1 too, not just the racing on track. Besides, this will also give you more on track action/battles as the cars will be on different strategies and have to overtake more (and it will be easier too). Less processions.
F1 cars at pit speed limit is grossly overstated by you. It will just be 20 more seconds per car in a 2 hour race. And the race will be much better.

The other idea I had to allow for more pit-stop strategies to not suck (and not be used by the vast majority of cars as now), is to shorten pit entries/exits. Make the pit stops less time consuming and then the speed gains will be more appetizing.

RZS10

I hate the liveries of Williams/Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo/Haas ... from certain cameras it's hard to tell them apart, not that it matters but it's still annoying.