2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

RZS10 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 01:01
I hate the liveries of Williams/Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo/Haas ... from certain cameras it's hard to tell them apart, not that it matters but it's still annoying.
I have definitely felt this as well...

Wynters
Wynters

komninosm wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 01:00
They don't fill up the cars because they cannot use the extra fuel, because the tires overheat. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Also filling up the whole fuel load would make the car heavy and slow (and is bad on tires too). While half-filling up during pit stops would not have that problem. You would use your whole fuel allotment too.
So Refueling is far from the worst thing F1 could reintroduce.
The drivers who raced with the concrete tyres openly talk about their fuel saving. It's quicker to carry less weight and fuel save than it is to carry more fuel. The only way around it is to mandate a high minimum amount of fuel carried.
komninosm wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 01:00
"We don't need more pit stops" is just your opinion. Some people do enjoy the strategy part of F1 too, not just the racing on track. Besides, this will also give you more on track action/battles as the cars will be on different strategies and have to overtake more (and it will be easier too). Less processions.
Either the cars all use the optimal strategy, or they finish the race more slowly than their competitors. The only reason you see variations at the moment is people gambling. That's not strategy, that's luck.

The sad fact of the matter now is that teams are much bigger, there's far more data, far more processing power and a far greater understanding of the variables. All the teams arrive at the same conclusion for strategy pretty much every single time. Whether there is one pitstop or ten, they'll all stop at broadly the same time for the same number of times. Adding pitstops in the current meta simply adds more chances for pit crews to mess up and decreases the amount of time cars spend on track racing.

Schuttelberg

Verstappen looks a little fed up.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:27
Stop a second time and you are 25 seconds behind where you were with the trye advantage not enough to make it up.

To reduce that punishment.
My solution was to bring back refuelling
Why not just make a rule that you have to do two pitstops and/or use three different compounds of tyre in a dry Grand Prix? Wouldn't that achieve the same result of spicing up strategies? :?:

Schuttelberg wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 02:28
Should have signed for Mercedes. :cry:

holeindalip
holeindalip

Didn’t Red Bull protest Mercedes and racing points brake ducts in Australia already because the opening was in the wrong place on the rears? If true then the brake ducts have been modified from stock spec and won’t match, or did that happen last year? I’ve slept since then.....

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

holeindalip wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 03:13
Didn’t Red Bull protest Mercedes and racing points brake ducts in Australia already because the opening was in the wrong place on the rears? If true then the brake ducts have been modified from stock spec and won’t match, or did that happen last year? I’ve slept since then.....
Yes, 2020, w11. They were taller than they supposed to be.

holeindalip
holeindalip

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 03:17
holeindalip wrote:

I remember racing point had to change theirs also, am I wrong there????

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Schuttelberg wrote:
Well, he probably realizes first 3 races were the best chances RebBull has and so far doesn't look good at all. I think Mercedes can win all races bar engine failures... What type of circuit Mugello?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

holeindalip wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 03:20
foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 03:17
holeindalip wrote:

I remember racing point had to change theirs also, am I wrong there????
I dont remember what RP did. w11 has definitely changed the design though.

dans79

I just watched the sit down post race interview, and Max sounds like he's ready to give up on the rest of the season.
197 104 103 7

JonoNic

foxmulder_ms wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Well, he probably realizes first 3 races were the best chances RebBull has and so far doesn't look good at all. I think Mercedes can win all races bar engine failures... What type of circuit Mugello?
Mostly fast chicanes and double apex corners.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

zeph
zeph

Funny, last weekend someone said that Hamilton wouldn’t win the crown this year because he was too preoccupied with #BLM. Love to hear if that dude still holds that opinion.

Anyway, Sainz really unlucky today with that pit stop, and Norris once again gobbled up all of McLaren’s luck, great result for him. I felt Stroll pushing Ricciardo off the track was borderline penalty, but hey, at least the kid’s racing! Still, Hamilton got a penalty for much less than that last weekend.

Ferrari, well, you know....

Phlumbert
Phlumbert

dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 04:22
I just watched the sit down post race interview, and Max sounds like he's ready to give up on the rest of the season.
It seems like the W11 has a significant tire life advantage over the RB-16 right now. Some of that might be down to the cooler temps and setup but I think the fact the Lewis was able to punch in the fastest lap (at the time) on 35 lap old mediums was a good sign of Merc's advantage.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:34
@ the Renault protest. Perhaps Renault is seeking clarification to know if they can copy Mercedes Brake ducts too!
There is an entire car's worth of parts requiring clarification.

Perhaps the brake ducts are merely the first in a long line of protests designed to do nothing other than disrupt Racing Point?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Lando Norris's onboard for the final two laps overtaking the RPs. Good work by the engineer helping him with the car management etc. Excellent example of the team work required to race a modern F1 car.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.