2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

Outstanding work today by Verstappen, Leclerc and Ocon.

Special shout to Hulk. Sad that Racing Point are willing to throw away points (for potentially finishing in front of Albon) in order to massage Lance's ego.

Wynters
Wynters

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:50
It's almost like some Mercedes fans are blaming Pirelli and the tyre allocations, instead of the Mercedes team.

Yet Red Bull, Ferrari and other team fans are the first to admit...
Any idea that one set of fans are in anyway less biased than another set of fans is laughable.

JordanMugen

GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:57
Building a car that works on any tyres is what teams should do.
Exactly! That is precisely what Mercedes should do!

To treat the tyres so badly that they grain in 5 laps is really not good at all. :|

Softer tyres seem to be the way to go to get more two-pitstop races in this 2020 championship. :)

GPR-A

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:01
GPR-A wrote:

To treat the tyres so badly that they grain in 5 laps is really not good at all. :|
And who has won 6 double world championships and how many races have others won? Who will win this year? :lol:

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:02
JordanMugen wrote:
GPR-A wrote:

And who has won 6 double world championships and how many races have others won? Who will win this year? :lol:

As I said earlier Mercedes won't make the same mistake again, and then we will be back to people complaining about Merc dominance.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:06
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:02
JordanMugen wrote:

As I said earlier Mercedes won't make the same mistake again, and then we will be back to people complaining about Merc dominance.
I know. It's just that these guys are having a field day, which come once or twice a year. So much frustration that they hold every year, which is great to see. :D

nevill3

In Toto's interview with Sky after the race he said they thought they still had a problem with higher temperatures and this race has confirmed their suspicions. He also stated that they learn more as a team when they fail to win so the other teams should be scared now.

Their reactions to underachievement is to try harder, learn from their shortcomings and improve.

He also stated that they realised early on that Max was probably going to win and so set about securing 2nd and 3rd.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

godlameroso

GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:32
godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:22

Remember that today's tyre selection was "artificial" with the tyres being picked specifically to engineer the problems seen today. I've no doubt that the intention wasn't to help RedBull specifically, but just to force the teams to do extra stops. I doubt Liberty were expecting the Mercs to have the issues they did today, more that were hoping the extra stops would force varying strategies - which it did.

I hope that they don't try to artificially control the championship with the tyres.
That would only be the case if Pirelli were supplying different tires to different teams, however we have no indication of that. If the tires are the same for everyone then it's up to the teams to make them work over both qualifying and a race distance and in the environment they function in.

If some teams can't make the rubber function properly that's not Liberty's problem, that's a Mercedes problem, as they have the same tires as everyone else.
Golden statement. Will keep a note of this. Will be very handy in days to come. :lol:
In what way? I don't hear RB complaining about tires, or using unprescribed pressures. They just blame their own chassis for not being good in qualifying. Yes Mercedes has the fastest car, qualifying shows that clearly their car is unbeatable over one lap. When the rubber or fuel isn't a limiting factor they can use their pace advantage and ride off into the sunset. Barcelona will be very good for Mercedes, they can use their pace advantage and it's not a particularly fuel thirsty circuit. I doubt the heat will play into RB's hands again, the Italian rounds perhaps as Mugello is very high speed and thus very demanding in terms of fuel and it kills tires. Spa is very fuel thirsty but again should suit Mercedes despite the temperature.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:47

Explain how it's artificial please. Pirelli sets the pressures each race weekend.
It would be artificial if they change the pressures under instruction from Liberty in order to affect the championship fight.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121
sosic2121

nevill3 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:09
In Toto's interview with Sky after the race he said they thought they still had a problem with higher temperatures and this race has confirmed their suspicions. He also stated that they learn more as a team when they fail to win so the other teams should be scared now.

Their reactions to underachievement is to try harder, learn from their shortcomings and improve.

He also stated that they realised early on that Max was probably going to win and so set about securing 2nd for Lewis and 3rd for Valteri.
I had to add a little bit

GPR-A

nevill3 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:09

He also stated that they realised early on that Max was probably going to win and so set about securing 2nd and 3rd.
Historically, Mercedes leaves negligible margin to change setup to react to sudden change in a weekend, which catches them off. More than high temperatures, it's the increase in tyre pressure that probably caught them. 27 PSI is unheard off. But when they know upfront about the exact pressure, they come better prepared.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:50
ispano6 wrote:
Explain how it's artificial please. Pirelli sets the pressures each race weekend.
Precisely!

It's almost like some Mercedes fans are blaming Pirelli and the tyre allocations, instead of the Mercedes team.

Yet Red Bull, Ferrari and other team fans are the first to admit when their car has aero instability and poor balance, or lacks power etc. So it would be logical for Mercedes fans to note the Mercedes car for having poor tyre management and this needing improvement.
Mercedes do need to improve the tyre use in hot conditions. That's a given and everyone, including them, would agree.

Setting tyre pressures at a level that affects one car more than others would be artificial, that was my point.

Would a RedBull / Max fan be happy if they win the title solely because Liberty had Pirelli hamstrung the Mercs with artificial tyre conditions? Perhaps they would. But it wouldn't sit well with me if it was done the other way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A

godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:13
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:32
godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:30

That would only be the case if Pirelli were supplying different tires to different teams, however we have no indication of that. If the tires are the same for everyone then it's up to the teams to make them work over both qualifying and a race distance and in the environment they function in.

If some teams can't make the rubber function properly that's not Liberty's problem, that's a Mercedes problem, as they have the same tires as everyone else.
Golden statement. Will keep a note of this. Will be very handy in days to come. :lol:
In what way? I don't hear RB complaining about tires, or using unprescribed pressures. They just blame their own chassis for not being good in qualifying. Yes Mercedes has the fastest car, qualifying shows that clearly their car is unbeatable over one lap. When the rubber or fuel isn't a limiting factor they can use their pace advantage and ride off into the sunset. Barcelona will be very good for Mercedes, they can use their pace advantage and it's not a particularly fuel thirsty circuit. I doubt the heat will play into RB's hands again, the Italian rounds perhaps as Mugello is very high speed and thus very demanding in terms of fuel and it kills tires. Spa is very fuel thirsty but again should suit Mercedes despite the temperature.
What were they doing last year when Pirelli brought 4mm less tread? Especially after losing the early races? On Barcelona, nobody can go there with skinnier rear wing and expect to be competitive like in Silverstone.
Last edited by GPR-A on 09 Aug 2020, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

It would be artificial if they change the pressures under instruction from Liberty in order to affect the championship fight.
El Scorchio wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:41
JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:29

The V8 Supercar championship [..]

I.e., mid-season changes to penalise the leading team or car in a FIA series is normal.
It's not "normal", not in my opinion is it correct.

Yet it was OK for Ferrari to be eliminated from the 2005 F1 championship, which potentially would have given Schumacher his 8th WDC racing an improved F2004 on improved 2004 Bridgestones, by an artificial tyre regulation? That makes no sense!

The precedent is set: that tyres, mass-damper bans, exhaust position rules (to target Red Bull's blown exhaust exit aimed at the diffuser, so Red Bull had to go chase a complicated coanda effect solution instead) and other things are routinely used to compromise the leading team.
As I said, do it between seasons. I don't agree that the rules should be changed on the fly to contrive a title outcome. If they're going to play that game then the title is pointless as it's effectively down to the authorities who wins.

Could you imagine any other sport where the rules are changed on the fly to alter the outcome? Football - change the offside rule to allow one team to score whilst others aren't allowed to, for example. Or suddenly reduce the number of defensive players an American Football team can use if they have won more matches than their opponent. It's just silly, isn't it?
Agree. I liked how it was done today as it was a good way of creating two different situations at the same track. Not many people want to see the same race run twice and we got great variety but it would be a shame now if Pirelli decide or are asked to be ‘zany’ with tyres for the sake of it to try and artificially spice things up for the rest of the season just because they see an Achilles heel.
The point is that all teams have to adapt their cars for the given conditions. Red Bull likely was going to win this race even if the available compounds were the same as the first time. Changing the tire compounds wasn't the differentiating factor, the ambient Temps were. The Mercedes Achilles heel is high Temps, not zany artificial tires. The tires are zany official tires.

nevill3

sosic2121 wrote:

I had to add a little bit
Toto did not say that at all, why would you edit a post like that with misinformation
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978