Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO

This just popped up in my news feed.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/22/ex- ... ula-1-ceo/
Former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali is poised to make a surprise return to Formula 1 as the CEO of the sport, RaceFans has learned from a source with knowledge of the situation.
Domenicali, 55, is well-connected both to Formula 1 managing director Ross Brawn and FIA president Jean Todt through his spell at Ferrari.
The appointment of Domenicali means the top roles at both F1’s governing body and commercial rights holder will be held by former Ferrari principals. However Todt, who became FIA president in 2010, has indicated he will not seek re-election when his current term expires at the end of next year.
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u

Re: Domenicali to take over as Formula 1 CEO

LOL, what's next, Whitmarsh gonna be FIA president?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

the EDGE

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 00:41
LOL, what's next, Whitmarsh gonna be FIA president?
I’m not saying F1 is any better or worst then than now but certainly Watching F1 in the Whitmarsh/Domenicali days was pinnacle for me. Both great characters & I used to look forward to the interviews, especially when they were together. You could really see & feel the competitive but friendly relationship between them, something we don’t get nowadays with Sky’s near clinical coverage which is completely devoid of emotion (unless Ted is on screen)

Obviously both moved on from their teams under a cloud, were they doing a poor job? I don’t know. Maybe with Adrian Newey seemingly at his peak (at least in terms of how the tech regs back then allowed him to flourish) nobody could have done a better job than what they did, especially given who they both reported to at the time and the culture that created in the teams. Both teams clearly continued to suffer after they left

Domenicali clearly knows the sport and will have a lot to offer, unlike Carey. He may be ex-Ferrari but I don’t see him still carrying a torch for them like Todd.

Who knows, perhaps Whitmarsh will be back in some role in the future, I certainly wouldn’t object

Manoah2u

I'm a bit surprised with the statement. It's true though that Stefano has F1 'roots', something Chase Carey completely lacks. It's good that they thus realize that their 'American' approach isn't working with this particular sport. In that sense, I do believe Domenicali will have better insight and is able to feel the sport better, so it's not by definition anything bad, at all.

However, with that said, and even though Ferrari's last title happened with Kimi under the reign of Domenicali, I am a bit doubtfull over whether he's THE right man for the job.
Though the guy has his edges, I think nobody can deny that Bernie was the RIGHT guy in F1. Like that, i think nobody will deny Carey simply isn't.

What i'm rather focusing on is that it's not really like Ferrari had the biggest 'glory' with Stefano at the helm. On the other hand, perhaps i'm being overly critical as it was ONLY because Timo Glock was passed in the final corner(s) of the Brazilian GP in 2008, which came at a total surprise, and handed Hamilton the WDC. It was enough, and the saying from that 'famous' movie 'it doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning', offcourse is true, BUT let's face it, it was just a fraction of difference and we would have seen Felipe Massa the WDC of 2008, which would have been Ferrari's 2nd WDC title under Domenicali's reign.

My point though is that when I think of Domenicali, i don't think of the success like under Brawn and Todt @ Ferrari, like Brawn/Toto/Lauda @ Mercedes, like Christian Horner @ RedBull.
I rather think of Martin Whitmarsh @ Mclaren. Stable, in control, keeping things in order. But i feel that extra 'oumpf' is missing. That final ingredient which makes the difference between somebody who goes 'that extra mile' and is almost a guarantee for success.

If i'd translate that to drivers, I'd compare Domenicali perhaps to a Massa, a Bottas, a Rosberg, perhaps even lower, like a Hulkenberg, who knows.
Instead, i would say F1 needs a 'Hamilton, a Schumacher, an Alonso, a Verstappen' at the biggest helm.

So as for mer personally, i think i would have preffered to see somebody like Horner or Wolff at the top. It would simulate, i think, Bernie, back in the day.

But, we will see. I wouldn't actually really 'mind' too much Domenicali as leaning a bit to 'Ferrari'.
Mercedes has been treated like Ferrari the past half decade, and despite they were 'clearly' cheating, the pressure of Ferrari last year in the WDC and WCC game was much better.

Anyway, with Todt leaving, i do wonder who is going to fill that spot.
I actually think Michael Masi is doing a decent job, could he take over that spot?

Would be interesting to see Brawn & Domenicali @ the F1 organisation,
and Michael Masi (or perhaps Whitmarsh, lol) as FIA president.

or.....dare i say.....Ron Dennis? :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 16:16
I rather think of Martin Whitmarsh @ Mclaren. Stable, in control, keeping things in order. But i feel that extra 'oumpf' is missing. That final ingredient which makes the difference between somebody who goes 'that extra mile' and is almost a guarantee for success.
Honestly, I think that is what is needed, a ceo that just makes sure things are running properly. Carey seemed to like to fiddle with stuff, and that's not what F1 needs imo.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

I quite liked Domenicali. Seems like a nice open guy and about the only Ferrari head I would ever believe a word from.
As he would be the 'interface' with the non F1 world, I think a good choice.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

It is now official

:lol:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Cold Fussion

The best F1 news in a long time. Given how sudden this seems to be, was he pushed out?

El Scorchio

Well at least it’s a motorsport guy rather than a TV and media guy in charge. I think that’s needed as there’s been too much demand on creating ‘the show’ rather then just letting them race unencumbered. Hopefully Domenicali will make his first task to bounce Masi’s fat head off his desk and tell him to make sure he directs a fair race rather than creating something artificial that his aunt will tell him made good TV.

Not quite so sure of ANOTHER ex Ferrari man in a very high up position though....
Todt, Brawn, SD, the other guy who’s name escapes me.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 11:47
Well at least it’s a motorsport guy rather than a TV and media guy in charge. I think that’s needed as there’s been too much demand on creating ‘the show’ rather then just letting them race unencumbered. Hopefully Domenicali will make his first task to bounce Masi’s fat head off his desk and tell him to make sure he directs a fair race rather than creating something artificial that his aunt will tell him made good TV.

Not quite so sure of ANOTHER ex Ferrari man in a very high up position though....
Todt, Brawn, SD, the other guy who’s name escapes me.
Domenicali and Brawn both have enough integrity to be neutral or at least to do what is best for F1 overall, Todt, I have never trusted as far as I can throw him.

No problem at all with Domenicali 'moving in' I wish him all the best

Scorpaguy

...actually, I was hoping for Paddy.

PlatinumZealot

They say Domenicali has a good heart. Will that work for his new position?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:32
Well. A good heart these days is hard to find.

Nimrod

I see what you did there :wink:

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 19:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:32
Well. A good heart these days is hard to find.
All sorts of political Undertones here.