Toto Wolf - Formula 1 should be leading the pack in sustainable fuels and biofuels instead of electric

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

What could this mean for the upcoming 2025 engines?

It will be more focused on the ICE side with sustainable/bio-fuels
51%
It will be still more focused on the electrical side
25%
Both will get equal focus
24%

Total votes: 51

DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: Toto Wolf - Formula 1 should be leading the pack in sustainable fuels and biofuels instead of electric

Big Tea wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 18:04
Guys, I dont know why the arguement, it is reasonably clear the at least in the short to mid term it is going to be a mix of both, probably both in most vehicles.

When they crack fission it will be a game changer, but that is 10 years off and has been for 20 years
The discussion is mainly whether it makes sense to actively keep developing ICEs, and as such, maintain that F1 is a tech development series 'leading the pack in ICE development for sustainable fuels.'

I have absolutely no issue with biofuels, and usage thereof as a transitional fuel as long as there are legacy-ICE cars, which will be quite some time. But it doesn't make much sense to me to actively develop ICEs.

Big Tea

Re: Toto Wolf - Formula 1 should be leading the pack in sustainable fuels and biofuels instead of electric

DChemTech wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 19:07
Big Tea wrote:
Guys, I dont know why the arguement, it is reasonably clear the at least in the short to mid term it is going to be a mix of both, probably both in most vehicles.

When they crack fission it will be a game changer, but that is 10 years off and has been for 20 years
The discussion is mainly whether it makes sense to actively keep developing ICEs, and as such, maintain that F1 is a tech development series 'leading the pack in ICE development for sustainable fuels.'

I have absolutely no issue with biofuels, and usage thereof as a transitional fuel as long as there are legacy-ICE cars, which will be quite some time. But it doesn't make much sense to me to actively develop ICEs.
I could say that depends on how far they develop ICE's without the bounds they have been set until now. but I do not want to get into an argument, being an electric car fan :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McL-H
McL-H

The future of automobiles is hydrogen, not battery. I’d much rather see F1 return to V10’s. But if they think it’s not sustainable, then F1 should lead the way in hydrogen tech.

Big Tea

McL-H wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 20:24
The future of automobiles is hydrogen, not battery. I’d much rather see F1 return to V10’s. But if they think it’s not sustainable, then F1 should lead the way in hydrogen tech.
There is a good item on it here

hUirEYExbN

Big Tea wrote:
When they crack fission....
Was that a christmas pudding overdose induced brain fart? I think you meant fusion.

Big Tea

hUirEYExbN wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 00:55
Big Tea wrote:
Was that a christmas pudding overdose induced brain fart? I think you meant fusion.
Split decision

I have edited it now, thanks.
Last edited by Big Tea on 27 Dec 2020, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

gruntguru
gruntguru

hUirEYExbN wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 00:55
Big Tea wrote:
It is a very confissing subject for many people.
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

Big Tea wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 20:50
There is a good item on it here

"hydrogen gas has 1/3 the density of methane". I thought it was 1/9? Big difference.
je suis charlie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hydrogen c.0.09kg/m3
Methane c.0.7 kg/m3

So not sure where the 1/3 as dense comes from, unless they're talking compressed hydrogen.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

Those are densities in the gas state, likely at 1 atmosphere? As fuels, they would (maybe) be liquified, otherwise the densities will mostly depend on the storage pressure.
Wiki gives me 70g/l for hydrogen and 423g/l for methane. It will no doubt still depend on conditions.

The 1/3 quote in the video referred to energy density, not mass density. Which only created further confusion... energy density per mass unit or per volume unit?
Rivals, not enemies.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Ah - thanks hollus. I should have replayed the video to check what he actually said.

On a mass basis hydrogen has a much higher heating value than methane - on a volume basis, lower.
je suis charlie

RedNEO

For any concerns about scalability..

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RedNEO wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 01:10
Excellent news. 550 million litres a year by 2026. The UK used 46.5 billion litres of road vehicle fuel last year. That's just the UK.

So the Porsche plant will need to be replicated by about 100 times just to run UK road vehicles.

And that eFuel, as they call it, still causes NOx and other pollutants to be pumped out on urban streets when it is burned.

We get that you don't like batteries and want ICE to carry on forever, but the reality is that battery is a much better option in urban environments. And guess where most people live?

RedNEO

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 01:41
RedNEO wrote:
Excellent news. 550 million litres a year by 2026. The UK used 46.5 billion litres of road vehicle fuel last year. That's just the UK.

So the Porsche plant will need to be replicated by about 100 times just to run UK road vehicles.

And that eFuel, as they call it, still causes NOx and other pollutants to be pumped out on urban streets when it is burned.

We get that you don't like batteries and want ICE to carry on forever, but the reality is that battery is a much better option in urban environments. And guess where most people live?
And it will be replicated so..? I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but biofuels are the rage right now.

As to your other point they already have ICE prototypes that have managed to reach absolute 0 emmissions by recombining said gases with what is basically a super cathalytic converter.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RedNEO wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 02:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 01:41
RedNEO wrote:

And it will be replicated so..? I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but biofuels are the rage right now.

As to your other point they already have ICE prototypes that have managed to reach absolute 0 emmissions by recombining said gases with what is basically a super cathalytic converter.
Biofuels are a developing area, yes. They won't kill off batteries, as you hope, because hybrids will still be created. BEVs will also still be created and used. There are times and places where electric drive is preferable. Hybrids also allow for regen braking etc.

Do you have a link for these zero emissions car engines?