Metal Matrix Composites

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Metal Matrix Composites

Should the 2025 engine change include a move towards MMC? Maybe just freeze the current spec, and each part can only be "upgraded" if its made from a composite.

If the thermal efficiency of these current engines is maxing out (or slowing way down), could any knowledgeable forum member speculate as to what MMC could do to help the TE gain? I am interested in learning from the crowd what benefits these META materials can have beyond weight saving.

I guess the overall point of this post is to determine if MMC R&D expenditure is road relevant for weight and mechanical properties.

Thanks in advance for the educational replies!

63l8qrrfy6

Re: Metal Matrix Composites

I depends what the material limitations are for each component. You can't just swap in some MMC and gain TE.

For example with current rules if the maximum gas loads are being held back by the thermal and mechanical limits of the cylinder head and piston then yes, maybe then a MMC can offer better performance and help increase TE by tolerating higher loads associated with higher heat release rates.

Either way MMC is not yet suitable for automotive mass production levels and F1 will not help with this aspect.

Jolle

Re: Metal Matrix Composites

Looking at the end of the combustion engine, with countries going to phase them out and manufacturers stopping development, it’s more likely that a big part or even the whole ICE will become a spec part, with more freedom in the hybrid elements for Daimler, FCA and Renault to exploit.