2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McFAN
McFAN

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

IS NORRIS EMERGING AS F1’S NEXT ELITE DRIVER?

https://the-race.com/formula-1/is-norri ... -verdicts/

Herr_Koos

McFAN wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:08
If I'm not mistaken we're one of only two teams to have had both cars finishing in the points in all 3 races
Correct. We need to keep up that level of consistency. Ferrari will be tough to beat over the course of the season.

If you look at the 2020 results, that double points finish streak now goes back 8 races. It's mighty impressive.

jonnybgoode
jonnybgoode

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:09
MrGapes wrote:I'm quite optimistic for these updates now.... remember we are still basically running the pre-season test car... lets hope for some significant gains with these updates
That’s another silver lining... For the team to be taking their time to bring their updates, it might be a comprehensive package where the parts need to work together and they can’t bring them individually.

We just need patience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Sky Germany TV Seidl today said they had some updates on the car and were running them Saturday and Sunday, but he didn't specify what kind of upgrades they were.

mwillems

I don't want to jinx it by saying it too loud, but the MCL35M seems to work in across conditions and across tracks with differing requirements. Even the most "ardent" of fans would have to recognise that this car is still a fair distance behind the Red Bulls and Mercs, but for some reason that doesn't bother me at all.

This car is the best Mclaren have produced in a long time and is going to give us fans a lot of happiness this season, I think. My cautious and guarded optimism is starting to give way now, and I have a feeling that this car will end up as a fan favourite for some years to come.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

jonnybgoode wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:09
MrGapes wrote:I'm quite optimistic for these updates now.... remember we are still basically running the pre-season test car... lets hope for some significant gains with these updates
That’s another silver lining... For the team to be taking their time to bring their updates, it might be a comprehensive package where the parts need to work together and they can’t bring them individually.

We just need patience :)

On Sky Germany TV Seidl today said they had some updates on the car and were running them Saturday and Sunday, but he didn't specify what kind of upgrades they were.
Not aero updates that we have been able to detect... Maybe a few under the skin... It seems there was an small change to the floor adding one more vortex generator (from 3 to 4) in front of the rear tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:I don't want to jinx it by saying it too loud, but the MCL35M seems to work in across conditions and across tracks with differing requirements. Even the most "ardent" of fans would have to recognise that this car is still a fair distance behind the Red Bulls and Mercs, but for some reason that doesn't bother me at all.

This car is the best Mclaren have produced in a long time and is going to give us fans a lot of happiness this season, I think. My cautious and guarded optimism is starting to give way now, and I have a feeling that this car will end up as a fan favourite for some years to come.
I’m really looking forward to Barcelona’s S3 times... For the past several years, that’s where Mclaren’s weaknesses have showed themselves in terms of lap time, losing half a second to the top cars in that sector alone... That will tell us a lot in terms of how much the car has improved or got closer to the front.

elldizzle
elldizzle

I just wanna say, great performance from the team, on what looks like a track that didn't suit our package for some reason. This is what fills me with optimism, when we can still score well and have a car with strong race pace that is enough to still drag out a good result despite. This is something the last 2- 3 seasons we have not been able to do. If a track didn't suit us we generally struggled in the race. Top cars are always able to eek out a performance despite tracks not suiting them, and that's what I feel we have now.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:24
mwillems wrote:I don't want to jinx it by saying it too loud, but the MCL35M seems to work in across conditions and across tracks with differing requirements. Even the most "ardent" of fans would have to recognise that this car is still a fair distance behind the Red Bulls and Mercs, but for some reason that doesn't bother me at all.

I’m really looking forward to Barcelona’s S3 times... For the past several years, that’s where Mclaren’s weaknesses have showed themselves in terms of lap time, losing half a second to the top cars in that sector alone... That will tell us a lot in terms of how much the car has improved or got closer to the front.

I just keep expecting it to show an obvious weakness (Aside from overall speed) at some point, but it isn't.

Yeah, after Monaco and Barcelona, if it still produces, then it may go on to produce all year round...

Xero

Great win for McLaren in Indy tonight! That secures an F1 test drive for Pat O'Ward at the end of the season. Zak loves dangling carrots in front of his drivers, has one with Ricciardo too.

Good day for McLaren all round.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:Great win for McLaren in Indy tonight! That secures an F1 test drive for Pat O'Ward at the end of the season. Zak loves dangling carrots in front of his drivers, has one with Ricciardo too.

Next one will be an Indy500 for Lando :)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:24

I just keep expecting it to show an obvious weakness (Aside from overall speed) at some point, but it isn't.

Yeah, after Monaco and Barcelona, if it still produces, then it may go on to produce all year round...
The car is definitely more balanced than last year’s... I’m hoping we will have a great showing in Spain!

It’s definitely a great car

mwillems

Xero wrote:
03 May 2021, 01:28
Great win for McLaren in Indy tonight! That secures an F1 test drive for Pat O'Ward at the end of the season. Zak loves dangling carrots in front of his drivers, has one with Ricciardo too.

I keep meaning to watch the Mclaren Arrow SP team in Indy, but never get round to it.

I'll have to put a reminder in to follow them.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

53 points in 3 races, not too shabby!

bauc

Great race.... LANDO is a beast... and great recovery from RIC, if it was not for the bad pit stop (4.9) he would have been finished 7th or 8th I think so overall a great weekend for us. Now, the test of all tests... SPAIN @Catalunya
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:00
Makes me wonder how the story would have been written if the Spygate never happened. Would we have kept Hamilton, Mercedes as a factory team and the whole technical team and perhaps write history as the most successful team in F1 capturing 7 championships in a row breaking every record?
Mclaren did not spy! It was individual act by few people looking for easy success and team swaps to earn more $$$

What Mclaren is guilty of is doing noting after finding out and eventually using the data at one race after the ALONSO e-mail's before qualifying - the rest is history.

However, Mercedes would have never settled as they were looking to buy a F1 team for a long time, they almost bought Mclaren they had 41% ownership of the team at one point but the full deal never went trough.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg