Post your (non-silly) 2021 F1 Predictions here

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Post your (non-silly) 2021 F1 Predictions here

Who'll do well, who'll surprise, which teams will sacrifice this year to focus on the 2022 rule change?

Let's not let this descend into arguments about who's better than who etc.

Just a place to make predictions that we can revisit at the end of the season to see who was closest.

Apologies if there's already a thread like this.... I couldn't see one when I looked. I know there's possibly overlap with the Silly Season thread, but my intention is that this is more serious predictions.
Last edited by adrianjordan on 03 Jan 2021, 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

adrianjordan

Re: Post your 2021 F1 Predictions here

I'll go first:

Hamilton and Merc will do the double again, but with much closer competition from RBR with Max finishing second in the WDC.

Bottas will announce that he is leaving Mercedes, who allow him that dignity before announcing Russell as Lewis' teammate in 2022.

McLaren will start strong, but quickly turn their attention to 2022 and end up finishing 5th in the WCC but having already dampened expectations at the start of the year.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

JordanMugen

Re: Post your 2021 F1 Predictions here

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2021, 13:00
Hamilton and Merc will do the double again, but with much closer competition from RBR with Max finishing second in the WDC.
So it'll go to the last round or last two rounds, with 4 or 5 wins to Verstappen and one or two wins to Perez? I'll take that. =D> :D

My predictions:
- All Ferrari-powered teams will be much stronger with their more powerful PU.
- Williams will, unfortunately, therefore go backwards as their aerodynamics are just not up to it.

WCC:
1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull - Honda
3. Ferrari
4. McLaren - Mercedes
5. Aston Martin - Mercedes
6. Alpine - Renault
7. Toro Rosso - Honda
8. Alfa Romeo - Ferrari
9. HAAS - Ferrari
10. Williams - Mercedes

Bit boring really. :wtf:

WDC:
1. Hamilton, 9 wins
2. Verstappen, 5 wins
3. Leclerc, 2 wins
4. Perez, 2 wins
5. Bottas, 1 win
6. Sainz, 1 win
7. Ricciardo, 1 win
8. Stroll, 1 win
9. Gasly
10. Norris, 1 win

:wtf:

raymondu999

Re: Post your (non-silly) 2021 F1 Predictions here

I would think assuming Hamilton re signs, he will take the double again. I think Vettel takes a win or 2 β€” Max will take 3 and Checo takes 1(?). I think Mick surprises (not in a good way, sadly) and struggles to get to grips early in F1 (historically he’s always needed to take a season ish to get up to speed) Checo imo will struggle tk get to grips with the RB a bit because handling a snappy car is not entirely within his strengths imo. Vettel thrives in an environment where the team embraces him again and surprises some.

I think Danny Ric will find 2021 in McLaren like he found 2019 in the Renault β€” a semi adaptation year he takes to get to grips with a different car built for Carla do. But I think sadly he will thrash Lando to a sjmilar margin as he did to Ocon.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

the EDGE

1. Only Mercedes and Redbull will win a race on merit. It’s likely someone from the midfield will pull a Gasley/Perez surprise however and luck into a win

2. Aston Martin will regret their driving pairing before the years end

3. Ferrari fans will be shocked their pace has not improv d compared to their rivals

4. Haas will fail to score points and finish last

5. Russel will finally score his first points for Williams

6. The midfield race will again be thrilling

nzjrs

Bottas and Hamilton will collide on-track on more than 3 occasions.

the EDGE

nzjrs wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2021, 17:24
How many times have they done this in the last 3 years?

nzjrs

the EDGE wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2021, 17:36
nzjrs wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2021, 17:24
How many times have they done this in the last 3 years?
Not sure, maybe I will express my prediction as a relative one. Hamilton and Bottas will collide on track 50% more than 2020 :wink:

Jolle

hmm, walkover for Hamiton-Mercedes, Ferrari slightly improving on the engine side but their lack of aero will keep them winless, RedBull will struggle the most with the new floor (because of the high rake concept), Vettel a decent year with some podiums (but well behind both mercs) and the arranged marriage of Alonso-Alpine destabilises the team.

FrukostScones

Jolle wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2021, 17:54
hmm, walkover for Hamiton-Mercedes, Ferrari slightly improving on the engine side but their lack of aero will keep them winless, RedBull will struggle the most with the new floor (because of the high rake concept), Vettel a decent year with some podiums (but well behind both mercs) and the arranged marriage of Alonso-Alpine destabilises the team.
well, this arranged marriage will pan out much better than his amour-fou with McLaren in 2007.
having ALO back is the one of the few interesting things for 2021.
others are how VET will fare in the Force India and how bad SAI will lose against LEC (if he does :mrgreen: ).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Tea

Merc in a league of their own again, but from there on down, to many unknowns.

AM ? could well be second team as there will be two scorers at Red Bull this year, but so will Ferrari.
I think Max will be best of the rest, but can not rule out either Ferrari driver for being there about.

From here to the last 3, not a clue.

Last 3? I would like to see Williams getting a wiggle on and really taking it to Haas and Alfa, but I think its wishful thinking, so Alfa Haas then Williams again
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

notsofast

I predict that Haas will finish 10th, assuming Russell stays at Williams.

Fulcrum

Red Bull produce a car without correlation issues and are competitive from the first race of the year.

Honda bring the largest engine upgrade of all engine manufacturers.

Perez proves to be more competitive than this forum, or the sport in general, thinks likely.

Just_a_fan

I'd be surprised, as would most I'm sure, if Mercedes aren't the team to beat in 2021. It will be interesting to see how the aero changes affect the teams and whether we relative movement between the teams or whether all are equally affected and the everyone is more or less slowed by the same amount. I expect Mercedes and RedBull to be closer in 2021. We might actually see a season where two cars are similar on overall pace but are better/worse at different tracks so maybe RedBull do better at some races, Mercedes at others and the rest they're similar and it comes down to other factors. That would make for an interesting season up front.

I'm hoping that McLaren continue their recent form and are able to fight for podia and secure a strong third in the constructors' table.

It'll be interesting to see how Seb does at Racing Stroll. Will he dominate? Will he be given poor strategies in order to boost Baby Stroll? If he's given an even hand and doesn't monster Baby Stroll then his legacy will be truly dead. So there is some pressure on him there.

Will Alonso come back with a bang? Will his presence in the team be helpful or a hindrance? Will there be friction with Ocon? Will Ocon show some speed and put Alonso under pressure? A nice little sideshow to watch if it's boring up front.

Ferrari. Well, who knows? If they've sorted the issues then they'll be back fighting, if not they'll be midfield. Leclerc and Sainz promises to be a juicy pairing. Will they trip each other up? Will Sainz put Leclerc under pressure? Another interesting sideshow, for sure.

As for the rest, hopefully Williams can rise from the bottom spot. I'd like to see Russell continue to do well on Saturday and then be able to turn that in to points on Sunday. The team deserve that, I feel, after having been so low for so long. One of the great names in F1 shouldn't be an also-ran.

This bit of post is probably better here than in the COVID thread:

I must admit to hoping Australia goes ahead if only for the chance that Hamilton can set a new record for poles at the same GP. He's currently tied with both Michael (Japan) and Senna (San Marino) on 8 poles. Another one at Australia would take it to 9. Also, a pole this season in Australia would make him level with Senna on 7 consecutive poles at the same GP (Senna on 7 at the San Marino GP). It's a silly little thing, of course, but one of those little side records that has been around a while.

Ironically, having been so impressive in Australia in qualifying, he's only won the race twice.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Aston Martin to be faster than RedBull but Max outperforms them.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™