Basic Engine Design/Configurations

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
OO7
OO7

Basic Engine Design/Configurations

1) Racing engine oil pumps tend to be place on the side of the engine as low as possible (just above the floor). I assume this is the best place for it, but could it be moved to the front of the engine (still just above the floor) and what would the compromise be other than packaging?

2) Does anyone know roughly how large F1 MGU-Hs are, as I'm curious how length within the 'V' the Mercedes unit would occupy?

Thanks
Last edited by OO7 on 13 Feb 2021, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

Re: Basic Engine Design/Configurations

OO7 wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 01:40
1) Racing engine oil pumps tend to be place on the side of the engine as low as possible (just above the floor). I assume this is the best place for it, but could it be move to the front of the engine (still just above the floor) and what would the compromise be other than packaging?

2) Does anyone know roughly how large F1 MGU-Hs are, as I'm curious how length within the 'V' the Mercedes unit would occupy?

Thanks
1. OEMs do that, so why not?
2. Magnetti Marelli has pics of their unit on Google.

Hoffman900

Sprint Cars drive the oil pump from the block mounted camshaft.

It actually works out pretty good as the dampening effect of the oil pump on the cam allows them to use much more radical camshaft lobes than they could get away with.

63l8qrrfy6

The big pump along the side of the block is the scavenge pump which has to be close to the scavenge ports from crank bays and valvetrain, geartrain etc.

It can be re-located but it requires quite a bit of plumbing. You normally see it on dry sump conversion kits where they use hoses to connect all of the scavenge ports - nowhere near as clean as having the scav pump along the block.

OO7
OO7

Thanks for all the responses. The new Mercedes video of the MGU-H was also a great help.

saviour stivala

‘’Basic engine design’’ From a long time ago formula 1 basic engine design adapted the trend of the oil pressure pump, oil scavenging pumps, oil centrifuge, alternator, hydraulic pump all mounted on the sides of the crankcase lower half. (crankcase lower half = sump, crankcase upper half = cylinder block). They all use one oil pressure pump + one or two (depending on type used) of scavenging pump/s per crankcase chamber + one for timing drive gear chamber + one or two for cylinder heads camshaft chambers. For a clear picture of the trend adopted visit ‘’10 years of BMW F1 engines pdf by Dr Mario Theissen’’ scroll down to fig. 8:E41/4.

OO7
OO7

Thanks saviour stivala. I did check out the BMW paper showing the crankcase bottom half with the ancillaries, which was quite helpful. It did look a lot busier in that area than current ICEs.