Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Alpine A521

diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 02:47
Blackout wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:37
The very exposed boat-tail area under the gearbox
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwczLD2WgAA ... ame=medium
I like what they've done there....

The way the exhaust points down will really energize the diffuser air.
The exhaust? Image

Blackout

Floors in order of appearance 

Well it's the same floor and they just changed the fins in front of the rear wheels...
Then, in its 4th version, they've cut a triangular portion and put this vane generator, AT-style (blue arrow)

Pics from Racefans, Nextgen-auto, Skysports

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:08
diffuser wrote:
Blackout wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:37
The very exposed boat-tail area under the gearbox
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwczLD2WgAA ... ame=medium

The exhaust? https://www.starwars-universe.com/forum ... es/paf.gif
Poor choice of words, I guess, the way the heat flows out and is directed by the PU cover.

Tooooom
Tooooom

I was wondering about the rumor that Alpine is using a split turbo this year, how could it be corroborated?
We still don't know where Alpine used their tokens, or did they say it? Also installing a split turbo engine in there would require a new tub right? But we know it's the old 2019 in there still. So is the engine an evolution of the re20 like they say or something else?

Blackout

Tooooom wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 15:26
I was wondering about the rumor that Alpine is using a split turbo this year, how could it be corroborated?
We still don't know where Alpine used their tokens, or did they say it? Also installing a split turbo engine in there would require a new tub right? But we know it's the old 2019 in there still. So is the engine an evolution of the re20 like they say or something else?
Rear suspension geometry they said

Tooooom
Tooooom

So no new engine yet...
So in 2022, Renault will provide a split turbo engine, will it be allowed to fiabilize it despite the engine freeze?

Blackout

Tooooom wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 16:34
So no new engine yet...
So in 2022, Renault will provide a split turbo engine, will it be allowed to fiabilize it despite the engine freeze?
Maybe it IS a split-turbo... which could explain the changes inside the lower intake here
And maybe the compressor is inside the V, like the 2015-2016 Honda, which could explain why Enstone was able to keep the 2020 tub unchanged :mrgreen:
The rollhoop on the right is the 2018 one, but the 2019 and the 2020 versions are 99%identical, only the mesh that protects the CCS moved backwards after 2018.
But the mesh disappeared in 2021...
And to me, the walls of the lower duct dont seem to diverge like before, they look straighter...

You can see here (top left in the pic below) how the walls of the CCS entry duct diverged/expanded. The intake is smaller than the entry duct exit, and the floor of the duct sloped downwards.
That's how cooling ducts upstream of the radiators work. They let the air expand and slow down and increase the static pressure before the rad, while the exit duct do the opposite. Then the pressure difference pulls the air through the radiator.
But is this new duct still 100% for cooling?
https://i.imgur.com/Znbv8rM.jpg

Tooooom
Tooooom

I really doubt they would try that turbo inside the V trick again, Ferrari and Honda failed at it, it would be foolish to try it again.
I just think those changes are due to the relocation of the cooling up there. The sad thing is just that those changes are hampered by the old chassis. Imagine the undercut they would've had with a new chassis and that cooling repackaging.

jjn9128

Tooooom wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 17:56
I really doubt they would try that turbo inside the V trick again, Ferrari and Honda failed at it, it would be foolish to try it again.
I just think those changes are due to the relocation of the cooling up there. The sad thing is just that those changes are hampered by the old chassis. Imagine the undercut they would've had with a new chassis and that cooling repackaging.
Do we know where they spent their tokens? Front and rear halves of the monocoque are each worth 2 tokens. Rear changes are hidden so could be they have altered the chassis.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Tooooom
Tooooom

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 18:16
Tooooom wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 17:56
Do we know where they spent their tokens? Front and rear halves of the monocoque are each worth 2 tokens. Rear changes are hidden so could be they have altered the chassis.
Blackout wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 16:06
Rear suspension geometry they said
https://i.imgur.com/J6niQc4.jpg
They said they concentrated on the back of the car. But is the suspension modification worth 1 or 2 tokens?
Last edited by Tooooom on 16 Mar 2021, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

An interesting hypothesis..
https://www.reddit.com/r/AlpineF1Team/c ... ame=iossmf

I remember some quotes pre-COVID from early last year saying that they intended to trial the new engine or elements of it during 2020. COVID stopped that from happening but I don’t see why they would completely ditch that idea when given the opportunity again in 2021.

zack!
zack!

why not 2 vertical air to air radiators, each one along side the surface of the air box, feed by "ambiant" and vertical slits ?

raymondu999

diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:16
Blackout wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:08
diffuser wrote:

The exhaust? https://www.starwars-universe.com/forum ... es/paf.gif
Poor choice of words, I guess, the way the heat flows out and is directed by the PU cover.
Would you actually want that? The air from the hot exit is usually quite low energy/dirty, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

diffuser

raymondu999 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 02:04
diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:16
Would you actually want that? The air from the hot exit is usually quite low energy/dirty, no?
IMHO, heat will always thicken the air up, make it act like there is more of it(energies it). Improving the airflow under the PU cover was probably something they had in mind when they redesigned it over the winter.

raymondu999

Yes the higher temp will obviously mean there’s more heat energy in that air, and of course thinner as that air expands... but it’s also lost a lot of energy going through the internal aerodynamics of the car... and won’t be a clean flow either. In any case I have very little knowledge of aerodynamics.

Perhaps someone else may chip in?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法