Poll problems

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
manchild

Poll problems

I don't see the poll question. It appears only after I select text where it is expected to be. I've tried several times and everytime I refresh it dissapears again and appears when that area is selected.

:?

Ciro Pabón

On any poll? For example, the code for "Canadian GP: Rosberg vs Montoya", whose question is "Who was at fault?", goes like this:

<tr>
<td class="row2" colspan="2"><br clear="all" />
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<td colspan="4" align="center"><span class="gen"><b>Who was at fault?</b></span></td>
</tr>

The code does not seem to give a special font to the text. I'd guess it is not your display, because the text is the same as the one used on the body of the messages posted.

Probably is your browser gone awry... I'd reinstall your browser, or, if I'd want to be sure it is the browser before reinstalling, I'd try to see it with other browser.

I am ashamed to confess that most of you had suffered my rants for everybody in his right mind to use Opera, so I won't repeat it is only a 6 Mb download, that can be installed and uninstalled without affecting IE or FF, and that is the coolest thing for browsing.

In the remote case you are already using Opera, try to see the page in "User mode" in the "View/Style" menu. This way you see the text in simpler fonts and simpler frame arrangement (for cellphones, I think).
Ciro

vyselegend

I think he speak about the poll on the right of the home page. If you go to the poll section of the site, you see the question: "What do you think of BMW's new wings?",, but on the home page the question is missing, you can only see the answears.
I'm currently at work, using IE, so I don't know if it is the same on FF and opera.

Ignis Fatuus

On FF the question is visible.
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

vyselegend

A weird thing just happened. I did highlight the missing text with left clic of the mouse, just the same you do with normal text when you're about to copy it, and the question sudently appeared! a strange glitch... :? Manchild, try doing the same, it seems to be the solution.

Ciro Pabón

Ignis Fatuus wrote:On FF the question is visible.
If MC refers to the home page question, it is also visible on Opera. IE is an strange invention, I'd say... :)
Ciro

Principessa

There is no problem in Firefox. Only in IE

Steven
Owner

Yet again, may I suggest using a DECENT browser?

There is no problem at all in FF or Opera, and the text is there in IE too, but for some obscure reason it doesn't show.

It's caused by some updates of mine which eliminate some tables in favour of <div> tags. All this to improve standard compliance and better the ranking on some search engines. As we know though, IE and Microsoft have no idea what Standard means :roll:

Ciro Pabón

Tomba wrote:Yet again, may I suggest using a DECENT browser?
\:D/ Tomba, you are an unusual webmaster... Thank you very much for your words.
Ciro

Principessa

Ciro Pabón wrote: \:D/ Tomba, you are an unusual webmaster
Not only an unusual webmaster :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Actually, the problem seems to be the "text-align" tag (or element, if you wish). I substituted this:

<div style="padding: 5px 0 5px 0; text-align: center">What do you think of BMW's new wings?</div>

for this:

<div style="padding: 5px 0 5px 0;">What do you think of BMW's new wings?</div>

and it worked in IE.

I tried different fonts, bold and italic and even converted the text to an html link to no avail. I wonder how IE allows you to center the text... :?

I also read this about the "div" tag:

"Differences Between HTML and XHTML

- The "align" attribute of the div element was deprecated in HTML 4.01.
- The "align" attribute of the div element is not supported in XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD."

I am not sure if this is relevant...
Ciro

Steven
Owner

The problem is solved now.
Many thanks to IE for their excellent support of nested divs and relative positioning :roll:

Btw Ciro about Opera... the new v9 is indeed quite good, and so far I didn't even need to solve one issue with its rendering, as it does pretty much the same as FF ;)

Ciro Pabón

Tomba wrote:Btw Ciro about Opera... the new v9 is indeed quite good, and so far I didn't even need to solve one issue with its rendering, as it does pretty much the same as FF ;)
I agree: FF does the same as Opera, once you install the first 327 (I'm guessing here) plug-ins, the same you have to reinstall with every update... :lol:

BTW, this is the "small list" of things I need for FF to "crawl at the feet" of Opera:

1 - install the mail client
2 - install the web developers extensions
3 - install the Tabbrowser Extensions: Allows sessions to be saved. To be fair: things you cannot do in Opera, that you can with this extension, is change the background color of tabs, group them, and bookmark all open tabs.
4 - install the Statusbar Clock: Displays the date and time in the bottom, right-hand corner of the status bar. In Opera, the time, only, is available but can be put anywhere.
5 - install ReloadEvery: Allows a website to be reloaded in different time increments, automatically. Useful for eBay auctions, so you do not have to go to the site every 15 minutes and reload. It DOES NOT change the tab color to inform you of updates, like Opera.
6 - install Paste and Go: Right-click in the address bar (or use the keyboard) to paste a url and go to the website automatically
7 - install Ieview: View the current page in IE. This is available in Opera via the W3-Dev menu.
8 - install QuickNote: A space available in the sidebar to jot little notes as you browse.

Oh, and I forgot:

9 - You have to install also the FireFox documentation...

Did I forgot the RSS manager, the download manager or the mouse gestures? And I could not find the "voice reader for FF"... I love it: you select the text and the browser reads it aloud for you.

BTW (seriously), is there a way to chat with FF? Or to open or download all the links of one page with a click?

But yes, I agree, they are the same thing. Just the same way a Midland and a Renault are both F1 cars. And over all, I quote: "Although users of both software tend to think that their browser is the best, both agree that anything is better than IE."
Ciro