2020/2021 Sidepod concepts — tight packaging vs slope designs

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

2020/2021 Sidepod concepts — tight packaging vs slope designs

Hey guys. I’m curious — and haven’t found it discussed anywhere here — but what would one reckon are the disadvantages/advantages of the differing concepts on sidepods we see? We see the undercut sidepods, we see the (revertion to) a coke bottle, jelly-mould rewr on the RBR, the slope on the Aston, etc... can anyone explain to an aero-laymen?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

OO7
OO7

Re: 2020/2021 Sidepod concepts — tight packaging vs slope designs

They're all trying to maximise airflow to the floor and over the diffuser I think. I couldn't tell you the pros & cons of each, though the differences are perhaps subtle.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2020/2021 Sidepod concepts — tight packaging vs slope designs

The designs try to bring "clean" air down from above the car and direct it on to the floor. This nice fast air makes the diffuser more efficient. Remember that the diffuser's job is to bring the air flow back to free stream velocity - i.e. it slows it down. If you can flow fast air over the trailing edge of the diffuser, the velocity difference at the point the two flows merge is much less. That means the flows can merge cleanly. Nice clean flow out of the diffuser exit helps it to flow more air through the diffuser throat. That means more downforce and less drag.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.