2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

JordanMugen wrote:
23 May 2021, 07:47
NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 23:00
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
Would it be feasible to add the Macau Grand Prix to Formula 1 (with an equally iffy Grade 1 status, just like Monaco)?

The circuit isn't all that different to Monaco, perhaps a touch tighter, and it would be a lot of fun indeed!

https://www.snaplap.net/wp-content/uplo ... cuit_3.jpg

The Macau circuit seems quite reasonable for F1 really, no worse than Monaco. :D
I think I recall a plan to go to Macau in 70s(?) and Monaco protesting as it was their 'trade mark' sort of thing?
I would love to see it even if only for a few races to test it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

politburo wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:26
djones wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:13
LM10 wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:10
How can people tell that was intentional from Leclerc? Are you all serious? :lol:
Have you even seen the replay? (I have)

He turned in early on purpose expecting minimal damage, but maximum plausibility.
Let's just assume he actually did crash intentionally, would Leclerc's pole time have been eclipsed by anyone other than maybe Bottas or Verstappen on that lap?. Here are mini-sectors of drivers at the time of the crash, yellow = slower than personal best, green = personal best, purple = session best.

https://i.imgur.com/wFDKT7h.png
Sainz. He did purple in first sector in his first attempt, very similar to Charles in second, but made a mistake in third. Without that mistake he could have beaten Charles and actually he was quite upset about not being allowed to finish his second attempt. He literally said it was first time in his career he could fight for pole but the red flag ruined it

Not saying Lecrerc did it on purpose, I´m fairly certain he didn´t, but that´s not a reason. Anycase I think it was not on purpose specially because Ferrari was the dominant car. Both Ferrari drivers were on top of the timesheets for the whole weekend. Also Lecrerc did a mistake in first sector of first attempt, and even so he made the fastest time, so I can´t see any F1 driver crashing on purpose when he owns provisional pole with a mistake in that lap so he can do it even better in second attempt. That´s what he was trying and crashed.

To be fair, with provisional pole it´s easier to assume some risks and a red flag, but that´s different from crashing on purpose

F1NAC

Any long runs from FP2? Didn't watch. What can we expect?

El Scorchio

F1NAC wrote:
23 May 2021, 13:18
Any long runs from FP2? Didn't watch. What can we expect?
I don’t believe so, which could add a little drama. I think for the neutral, you’d want to see Leclerc in the lead at the start as it’ll probably make for more excitement with Verstappen no doubt sticking very close and maybe a bit of a train forming. I’m not convinced the Ferrari would be as strong as the red bull on a long run, even if it is definitely a match over single lap pace.

search

few teams did more than a handful of laps, but Sainz said he was quickest in the longrun. That seems to be based on a two-quickest-laps average, though, which as far as I can see has him a tenth or so ahead of Verstappen

MKlaus
MKlaus

NathanOlder wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:06
MKlaus wrote:
23 May 2021, 06:58
NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 23:00

quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
that's the advantage of having a dominant car. despite mid field driver like performance on a driver's track, one can still win championship. what's the chances if perez showing a good move on lewis or his gearbox, although he just doesn't have it in him to be racy.
Yeah well if you help develop that car, then your entitled to your advantage. As for Monaco being a drivers track, how does that explain Max never being on the podium in 5 attempts 4 of which in a top 2/3 car? Your theory would mean Max is a poor driver. I know for a fact he is one of the very best.
there are hundreds of engineers hired to develop a car and you don't need a school drop out driver to help them understand engineering to build a car. being lucky is a good way of representing the advantage a driver has in terms of equipment. glory of engineering the equipment goes to hard working engineers. regardless of how good a driver is, if the record of driving speaks poorly of him in monaco, it's a problem, whether you are a 7 time world champion or a young man poised for glory.

maxxer
maxxer

MKlaus wrote:
23 May 2021, 13:39
NathanOlder wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
23 May 2021, 06:58
that's the advantage of having a dominant car. despite mid field driver like performance on a driver's track, one can still win championship. what's the chances if perez showing a good move on lewis or his gearbox, although he just doesn't have it in him to be racy.
Yeah well if you help develop that car, then your entitled to your advantage. As for Monaco being a drivers track, how does that explain Max never being on the podium in 5 attempts 4 of which in a top 2/3 car? Your theory would mean Max is a poor driver. I know for a fact he is one of the very best.
there are hundreds of engineers hired to develop a car and you don't need a school drop out driver to help them understand engineering to build a car. being lucky is a good way of representing the advantage a driver has in terms of equipment. glory of engineering the equipment goes to hard working engineers. regardless of how good a driver is, if the record of driving speaks poorly of him in monaco, it's a problem, whether you are a 7 time world champion or a young man poised for glory.
school drop out driver ?

Schumacher got Ferarri to build cars based on his driving.
Vettel did the same at Red Bull.
Dont know about Mercedes but i think they tune in more to Hamiltons needs.

JordanMugen

MKlaus wrote:
there are hundreds of engineers hired to develop a car and you don't need a school drop out driver to help them understand engineering to build a car.
Nigel Mansell has a mechanical engineering degree, as does Tony Stewart. :)

PlatinumZealot

So does Nico Rosberg.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BosF1
BosF1

LeClerc does have gearbox problems during the laps to the grid! Seems he is stuck in a gear.
Last edited by BosF1 on 23 May 2021, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

maxxer wrote:
23 May 2021, 13:48
MKlaus wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

school drop out driver ?

Schumacher got Ferarri to build cars based on his driving.
Vettel did the same at Red Bull.
Dont know about Mercedes but i think they tune in more to Hamiltons needs.
Teams design the best car they can, balanced, with as much grip and the least drag for a given downforce, in a scientific manner and without a driver in mind. The race team will setup the given car together with the driver to maximise that package for the circuit.

MtthsMlw

Pit lane start for Leclerc or none at all..

BosF1
BosF1

I'd go for a regular start if I were Ferrari and just see how far you can go.

Edit: pitlane already closed and he is in the garage, so definitely not a regular start for LeClerc. I now think he doesn't start at all

NathanOlder

MtthsMlw wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:30
Pit lane start for Leclerc or none at all..
None at all by the look of it. Ouch, Poor Charles. Bit of luck for Max now on pole position effectively. 7pts gain before the start. Up to Valtteri now then.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Ah. What a shame for Leclerc. Maybe they should have just bitten the bullet, taken the penalty and changed it.

I suppose the race win rather than the big picture was Ferrari’s focus.