F1 needs rule changes Urgently

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

F1 needs rule changes Urgently

After the Charles Leclerc debacle at the Monaco GP i felt compelled to express my disenchantment with F1 rules. I've been watching F1 since the late 70s . This multi-million dollar sport allows teams to not have spare cars? Its been several years since the T-Car has been abolished but it became evident that without it the Ferrari team were doomed. Secondly, the abolishment of the Sunday morning warm up . That 30 minute session that you could make systems check. I liked going to the races but now the track time of the cars has been considerably reduced. Please bring back the spare car. This is a rich sport. Anybody has similar thoughts?

Unf

Re: F1 needs rule changes Urgently

They are doing everything to make this sport cheaper and you want spare car? =)

El Scorchio

fritticaldi wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:56
After the Charles Leclerc debacle at the Monaco GP i felt compelled to express my disenchantment with F1 rules. I've been watching F1 since the late 70s . This multi-million dollar sport allows teams to not have spare cars? Its been several years since the T-Car has been abolished but it became evident that without it the Ferrari team were doomed. Secondly, the abolishment of the Sunday morning warm up . That 30 minute session that you could make systems check. I liked going to the races but now the track time of the cars has been considerably reduced. Please bring back the spare car. This is a rich sport. Anybody has similar thoughts?
Totally understand the frustration but sadly no. It’s been like this for years and the rules are the same for everyone. Would you have had the same thoughts if it were Verstappen or Hamilton in the wall and Leclerc took the win as a result?

Just terrible, terrible luck for Leclerc.

NL_Fer

Maybe add unlimited engines, gearboxes and what is the point of a parc ferme, anyway?

Jolle

Leclerc made a mistake and Ferrari decided to take a gamble. That’s very much part of F1.

fritticaldi

El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:03
fritticaldi wrote:
Totally understand the frustration but sadly no. It’s been like this for years and the rules are the same for everyone. Would you have had the same thoughts if it were Verstappen or Hamilton in the wall and Leclerc took the win as a result?

No I would feel bad for anyone not being able to start because of ridiculous rules. Everyone especially the fans are robbed of an added protagonist. The battle of Leclerc & Verstappen at the start could have been epic. I understand the concept of saving money but the big teams can afford a spare car. I could understand Haas & Williams not having spare cars.

Sieper

A spare car for taking even more risk in Q3. That is a dangerous incentive. You could crash every second Q3 run (when you are on pole after the first) without any fear for your car. What is drivers to stop then?

fritticaldi

Jolle wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:11
Leclerc made a mistake and Ferrari decided to take a gamble. That’s very much part of F1.
Both Ferraris were in the top three all weekend. I am not sure what the Ferrari mechanics did but surely this was very poor judgement from the team. Who checked the car after the accident? There are incompetant staff within the Scuderia. Binotto will come under fire from the press and fans. How pathetic. At the very least they could have changed the driveshaft and take a five place grid penalty. This is something you would expect from an inexperienced team. How much lower can you get ?

SmallSoldier

fritticaldi wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:

No I would feel bad for anyone not being able to start because of ridiculous rules. Everyone especially the fans are robbed of an added protagonist. The battle of Leclerc & Verstappen at the start could have been epic. I understand the concept of saving money but the big teams can afford a spare car. I could understand Haas & Williams not having spare cars.
And that’s exactly why there are no spare cars, there are teams that can’t afford it, why bring even more of a gap between the teams that can and those that can’t afford it?

The rule is fair for everyone as is... The 30 minute warm up is something that could be done though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pingguest

Unf wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:01
They are doing everything to make this sport cheaper and you want spare car? =)
As Formula One introduced a budget cap, many restrictive sporting and technical regulations could be abolished.

jjn9128

F1 needs a lot of fixing but not sure re-allowing t-cars is the solution.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

There may be a case for a 15 min 'display lap' during the morning, supposedly to allow the spectators to see the cars at low speed and wave the drivers, but it would give an opportunity to check things over.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McL-H

I agree rules should be changed based on qualifying last Saturday. As in IndyCar, the driver that causes a yellow or red flag should lose his fastest set time. Spare cars? Hell no. But I think allowing all drivers to drive 1 lap a couple of hours before the race for a systems check would be good for the ones that crashed in Q.

El Scorchio

fritticaldi wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:14
El Scorchio wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:

It was poor for the spectacle and devastating for Leclerc, but it's just the rules. I would be tempted to do away with grid penalties for having to replace gearboxes and the like in qualifying which is clearly why this happened and Ferrari had to take this risk, its's potentially dangerous to send a driver out there with a car that may or may not be race worthy.

Realistically though, the budget cap is there for good reason. It's not fair that the big teams could afford a spare car while the smaller teams can't, and it's to do with trying to increase parity.

El Scorchio

fritticaldi wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:28
Jolle wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:11
Both Ferraris were in the top three all weekend. I am not sure what the Ferrari mechanics did but surely this was very poor judgement from the team. Who checked the car after the accident? There are incompetant staff within the Scuderia. Binotto will come under fire from the press and fans. How pathetic. At the very least they could have changed the driveshaft and take a five place grid penalty. This is something you would expect from an inexperienced team. How much lower can you get ?
If Leclerc were fighting for the championship they'd have absolutely changed the gearbox. As it was maybe the only chance of a glorious win this year, they took a calculated risk on the car being ok so he could be in with a shot of winning this particular race.

I really don't think it was incompetence. Just calculated risk which unfortunately didn't pay off.