Quali & Race power modes

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tpe
tpe

Quali & Race power modes

I read the transcript of LH communication with his engineer and it was clear that he was instructed to use specific strat at some point in the race.
The transcript can be found here: https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/28/i-n ... -analysis/

So, either strat is not power mode, or the rule is a different one.
I don't want to think that they choose to ignore it.
Can someone enlight us on the topic?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Quali & Race power modes

They only have one engine mode, but they can change how the ERS energy is managed (Scavenging and Deployment)... So, all teams have different strategies in terms of energy management and they change them during the race... This is applicable to all teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpe
tpe

Then strat is used for the electrical partof the engine. But now is the PU part managed?

nzjrs

tpe wrote:
29 May 2021, 07:19
Then strat is used for the electrical partof the engine. But now is the PU part managed?
What do you mean by managed?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

The fuel injection & ignition timing is controlled by the ECU based on pre-defined mappings. So the ECU can change it by itself, depending on oil/water/air temperature or pressure changes and some other sensor reading.

Before the ban, drivers could change those mappings, but now it not allowed anymore.

etusch

If I am not wrong there is full recharge mode, even if there isn't, car can understand this very easily when driver tries to full up battery. This can be a triger for qualy mode in the ecu.
During race race engineer give instuctions to driver to use deployment button. I think there is a race mode map front of them, for example when the car in mode 11 for the engine, it uses electric power at start-finish straight for 10 sec and 3 sec at next straight etc. So when they wanted to run mode 11, race engineer just says to driver, push the button for 10 sec at straight then ecu starts to run mode 11 settings. but if driver didn't push for 3 sec at next straight, ecu can run default settings from that time on. Only minus part of this is driver can not calculate as accurate as ecu itself these times. So it will not perform as well as race modes times.

michl420
michl420

etusch wrote:
29 May 2021, 14:14
If I am not wrong there is full recharge mode, even if there isn't, car can understand this very easily when driver tries to full up battery. This can be a triger for qualy mode in the ecu.
During race race engineer give instuctions to driver to use deployment button. I think there is a race mode map front of them, for example when the car in mode 11 for the engine, it uses electric power at start-finish straight for 10 sec and 3 sec at next straight etc. So when they wanted to run mode 11, race engineer just says to driver, push the button for 10 sec at straight then ecu starts to run mode 11 settings. but if driver didn't push for 3 sec at next straight, ecu can run default settings from that time on. Only minus part of this is driver can not calculate as accurate as ecu itself these times. So it will not perform as well as race modes times.
Why push the button 10 sec long and not just have a mode-rotary-switch. The simplest way would be to have modes from 1 (optimum lap time ) to maybe 6 (full depolyment only on long straight for max defens). Of course there must be some switch positions for reacharge lap, qualy mode, etc.

michl420
michl420

tpe wrote:
29 May 2021, 07:19
I think you mean ICE because PU includes the electrical part. I think the ICE runs the hole race by itself. Of course if there is some error (to hot, to much oil consumtion, etc) it will switch to a engine saving mode. But I don't know what the rules allows here.