With new tyres coming after the summer break, who does it help?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

With new tyres coming after the summer break, who does it help?

Stiffer and more durable. So lower pressures and more abusable.

Sounds like a RBR wet dream...🙄

I hope they don't ruin this season by putting them out of reach...😪

https://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-new-2021-tyre/

PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: With new tyres coming after the summer break, who does it help?

Historically, higher tyre pressures has always hurt Mercs race pace more than most - I think that's a bit of why they couldn't go as long as they thought last weekend with Pirelli bringing pressures up a bit - so stronger carcasses with lower pressures may help reset the status quo again.

Zynerji

PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 23:36
Historically, higher tyre pressures has always hurt Mercs race pace more than most - I think that's a bit of why they couldn't go as long as they thought last weekend with Pirelli bringing pressures up a bit - so stronger carcasses with lower pressures may help reset the status quo again.
I expected as much, but was looking on speculation on who it may help most.

Handing Merc a .02s swing against RBR might just put us at hair-splitting Q3 sessions... =D>

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

I guess the harder tyres are good for Merc.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

A stiffer carcass is going to be a crap shoot in terms of who it effects and doesn't.

Dunlop did this in MotoAmerica Superbike. It swung the championship balance and frankly killed what was a close championship battle. The sanctioning body now has made it they can't change compounds mid season. It was a total farce.

Pyrone89

Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 14:52
PhillipM wrote:

Handing Merc a .02s swing against RBR might just put us at hair-splitting Q3 sessions... =D>
Yes, let's give Mercedes more in-season changed advantages. After nerfing pit stops and rear wings
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Jolle
Jolle

2013 all over again? 😂

Rodak
Rodak

A stiffer carcass is going to be a crap shoot in terms of who it effects and doesn't.
This is exactly correct. The tires make up a major part of suspension compliance; stiffening the sidewall will increase the effective spring rate with who knows what effect on the teams. Going to the low profile tires for the 18" wheels next year will require a major re-think of suspension design, as the reduced sidewall compared to the 13" wheels is a huge change. It could be interesting.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pyrone89 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:39
Zynerji wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

Yes, let's give Mercedes more in-season changed advantages. After nerfing pit stops and rear wings
Who was it that had tyre failures? Seems to me that this change helps Red Bull as they run their tyres "interestingly". :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Rodak wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 01:34
This is exactly correct. The tires make up a major part of suspension compliance; stiffening the sidewall will increase the effective spring rate with who knows what effect on the teams. Going to the low profile tires for the 18" wheels next year will require a major re-think of suspension design, as the reduced sidewall compared to the 13" wheels is a huge change. It could be interesting.
So a team with a less compliant set up, perhaps because they run low rake, might be affected more than a team with a rear end that has spare movement thanks to its arse-in-the-air approach?

Pyrone89

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 08:37
Pyrone89 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Who was it that had tyre failures? Seems to me that this change helps Red Bull as they run their tyres "interestingly". :wink:
Mercedes at Silverstone?

Trust me, this will basically hand the championship to one of the teams, in a year where suspension changes are limited by tokens so no way to react.

Like to see your response if it turns out it accidentally gifts a huge advantage to Red Bull
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pyrone89 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 12:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 08:37
Pyrone89 wrote:

Mercedes at Silverstone?

Trust me, this will basically hand the championship to one of the teams, in a year where suspension changes are limited by tokens so no way to react.

Like to see your response if it turns out it accidentally gifts a huge advantage to Red Bull
Mercedes at Silverstone? That was a year ago. The tyre failures in Baku will have been driving changes because the result of those failures was cars in the wall. That's a big scary "safety issue" for the powers that be.

My point being that it may actually help Red Bull. A stronger tyre allows more abuse, after all.

I must say, however, that I don't think the FIA / Pirelli are doing things to help one team or another. That's just fan-logic wanting to find conspiracies where none really exists. :lol:

RZS10

It's not even decided that they will actually bring those tyres to all races, right? Currently it's just a test run to see whether those tyres are any good (probably not).

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 13:05
I must say, however, that I don't think the FIA / Pirelli are doing things to help one team or another. That's just fan-logic wanting to find conspiracies where none really exists. :lol:
I agree

(Also: paging PZ)

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 08:39
Rodak wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 01:34
So a team with a less compliant set up, perhaps because they run low rake, might be affected more than a team with a rear end that has spare movement thanks to its arse-in-the-air approach?
Maybe, maybe not. It’s really hard to predict these things as we’re missing all the little nuanced stuff and these cars are on a razor’s edge in terms of their performance window as is.