2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

I was suprised about how hard it was to overtake here today.

Overtaking only took place where Horner said it was impossible to.

Hungary may be even worse.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:15
Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:08
Max drove onto Ham at Imola, Hamilton yielded. He did the same again in Catalunya, Hamilton yielded again. Max at this point probably thinks he can bully any driver ad infinitum.

It was only a matter of time until Hamilton said enough's enough. He put his nose in there, and told Max to turn in if you dare. Of course knowing Max, he thought Ham would yield again.

Wrong. And he paid dearly for it. He's not smart, and if he loses the title in the end, that'll be the only thing to blame.
There is nothing wrong to turn in when you’re on the racing line and in front, which Max was.
If he was in front there wouldn't have been contact...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

HPD

It is true that Max is aggressive and it is very good that Ham is too. But that doesn't justify him doing that on such a fast and dangerous corner.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

LM10 wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
Max drove onto Ham at Imola, Hamilton yielded. He did the same again in Catalunya, Hamilton yielded again. Max at this point probably thinks he can bully any driver ad infinitum.

It was only a matter of time until Hamilton said enough's enough. He put his nose in there, and told Max to turn in if you dare. Of course knowing Max, he thought Ham would yield again.

Wrong. And he paid dearly for it. He's not smart, and if he loses the title in the end, that'll be the only thing to blame.
There is nothing wrong to turn in when you’re on the racing line and in front, which Max was.

He turned in with a car that was 90% alongside him and decided he would try to outbrake that car and not accounting for the normal understeer from the inside car that would result from that move. What Leclerc did when Lewis overtook him is what Max should have gone. Once you give up the inside you are generally toast and Max should know that. He tried to fight a battle that was already lost.

proteus

Both drivers are becoming seriously dangerous. Maybe they both should get a race ban, to get their act together. How far will they go this year, and are they willing to kill one another for the title? It is the first time that Max actually has the chance to take the championship and he is no Vettel or Leclerc to yield to Hamilton, and it is first time after a long period that Lewis has to invest all of his talent and energy to fight against Max, and them both started to open an old bag of shady tricks fully willing to exploit them in real life....Slamming someone off the track with speeds over 200kmh is not something a seven time world champion should do, and ramming each other off the track and pushing into a wall is also a giant di*k move to be doing by a challenging driver over the season...

None of them is innocent this season, both of them are driving way too agressive towards each other. There is nothing wrong if they knock wheels where speeds are not high enough to risk somebodys life, but to do it at full speeds means both of them are missing few wheels in their heads, and someone should slam a fist on the table and explain them rules of engagement.

Like i said, race ban for both, for them to chill and think about how to drive in the future.
Last edited by proteus on 18 Jul 2021, 20:27, edited 2 times in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

DChemTech wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:21

He was given room. What more should he have done? Go off like Leclerc? There have been plenty of times when critique of his moves was in order, but in my view, not in this case. He wasnt making it easy on his rival, but he surely left room.
He went off track in turn 1 in order to stay ahead. Should have given the place up there and then.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

InsaneX_Badger

HPD wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:23
It is true that Max is aggressive and it is very good that Ham is too. But that doesn't justify him doing that on such a fast and dangerous corner.
I get where you are coming from, but any driver can overtake on any part of the track if the opportunity presents itself.

nzjrs

Fwiw Max makes 2 points in his statement. 1 is about driving, 1 is not. They are both discussable....

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

HPD wrote:
But that's not in the rules. The rules permit overtaking anywhere on the circuit, there's nothing that says "don't overtake in fast corners".

proteus

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:26
DChemTech wrote:

He was given room. What more should he have done? Go off like Leclerc? There have been plenty of times when critique of his moves was in order, but in my view, not in this case. He wasnt making it easy on his rival, but he surely left room.
He went off track in turn 1 in order to stay ahead. Should have given the place up there and then.
To be honest, he done nothing what Lewis and many other drivers didnt do before. Thats why gravel traps would make sure noone would be doing this. A 2 meter wide strip of gravel would be probably enough.
Last edited by proteus on 18 Jul 2021, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LM10
LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Shrieker wrote:

If he was in front there wouldn't have been contact...
Isn’t the definition of being in front that your nose must be ahead?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:27
Fwiw Max makes 2 points in his statement. 1 is about driving, 1 is not. They are both discussable....
I don't really get the comment about the celebrations. Are Verstappen/Horner honestly expecting Hamilton should be handing the trophy back and telling the fans "the show is over, go home"... I get they are upset, but I don't think that should be directed at the fans.

Incognito
Incognito

There's an almost carbon copy of the incident in Lap 1 of the Sprint.

In that case, Hamilton was on the outside and Verstappen the inside. The squeeze to the inside just before the braking zone was not as severe (both cars are about a car's width further out than in the Race). In both cases the outside driver was slightly ahead.

I think it would be very useful if someone with a lot more technical skill than I did an analysis of the different trajectory / angles / etc for the two lap 1 incidents. The camera angles are almost identical and it would be interesting to understand why the outside car yielded in the Sprint and why the inside car was able to hit the apex in the sprint. It might shed some light on things. The only disappointing thing is that I don't think the onboards from the sprint are available.

If there's telemetry, that might be very instructive too.

It's also absolutely clear that neither driver wanted contact. As Vettel found out at Ferrari, tapping the rear wheel of a rival is just as likely to make you spin as it is them and who, even if they didn't care about anyone else, would take that risk for themself at that speed? Suppose the wheels hit and one car's corner mounted the other car?
Last edited by Incognito on 18 Jul 2021, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

proteus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:25
Both drivers are becoming seriously dangerous. Maybe they both should get a race ban, to get their act together. How far will they go this year, and are they willing to kill one another for the title? It is the first time that Max actually has the chance to take the championship and he is no Vettel or Leclerc to yield to Hamilton, and it is first time after a long period that Lewis has to invest all of his talent and energy to fight against Max, and them both started to open an old bag of shady tricks fully willing to exploit them in real life....Slamming someone off the track with speeds over 200kmh is not something a seven time world champion should do, and ramming each other off the track and pushing into a wall is also a giant di*k move to be doing by a challenging driver over the season...

None of them is innocent this season, both of them are driving way too agressive towards each other. There is nothing wrong if they knock wheels where speeds are not high enough to risk somebodys life, but to do it at full speeds means both of them are missing few wheels in their heads, and someone should slam a fist on the table and explain them rules of engagement.

Like i said, race ban for both, for them to chill and think about how to drive in the future.
I’m sorry but Verstappen has been at it all year and Hamilton has yielded over and over again yet the very second Hamilton draws a line in the sand they both need banning? :wtf:

Maybe we need to look more closely and who has consistently been using the stuff in that old bag all season.

politburo
politburo

DChemTech wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:14
GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:10

Fight every battle at 100% expecting that your aggressiveness will cause everyone around to yield and you're going to crash at some point.

Live by the sword, end up in the wall sometimes. Or at least thats how i think it goes.
It's sad that he apparently hasn't learned from this incident. He might not be so lucky next time. Hamilton's words in one of his post race interviews imply that he expects to be given room in such situations. This won't be the last time they crash unfortunately.
Agree. He left plenty of room and that can easily be confirmed by just watching the onboards.

I don't understand why people are still blaming Verstappen given all this, the guy was literally a passenger. He defended and it was awesome watching him defend, all within the rules as well, but he got understeered into like how Leclerc did to him in Suzuka 2019, just with less consequence at that point.

Verstappen is aggressive yes, but aggressive driving is surely better than poor driving. And better yet he is not sugarcoating it for the twitterverse, he's expressing how he feels, ain't nothing wrong with that.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"