Stupid New Rule Proposition

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Stupid New Rule Proposition

Tear offs thrown out the car seem to be getting stuck in other cars of late, and causing problems it seems.

Ban throwing a tear off out of the car 😈

I guess they can stick it in between their legs or something :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

jjn9128

Re: Stupid New Rule Proposition

Shrieker wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:33
Tear offs thrown out the car seem to be getting stuck in other cars of late, and causing problems it seems.

Is this a joke? If not they trailed that already Monaco 16(?)
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Shrieker

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:36
Shrieker wrote:

Jenson saying they had a pocket or something in the car back in the day, or it was proposed ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

jjn9128

Shrieker wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:38
jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:36
Shrieker wrote:

Jenson saying they had a pocket or something in the car back in the day, or it was proposed ?
IIRC it was proposed. Ignored. Then discretely consigned to history.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Shrieker

I think it's unfair tho, that a tear off thrown out by someone else can totally randomly clog your sidepod or brake duct, causing performance loss or even retirement..
-Atatürk

jjn9128

Shrieker wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:46
I think it's unfair tho, that a tear off thrown out by someone else can totally randomly clog your sidepod or brake duct, causing performance loss or even retirement..
Litter from fans is far more likely. Just one of those things.
#aerogandalf

henry

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 13:50
Shrieker wrote:
Litter from fans is far more likely. Just one of those things.
I’d disagree. If there is a reasonably simple way to remove the problem it’s not one of things but an avoidable risk.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Agreed. It makes no sense to keep this stupid variable in the sport. Just tuck it away in the cockpit. Simples

Zynerji

Bibs.

AngusF1
AngusF1

Put each tear-off on a string. The driver can put them in his lap to be collected at the next pit stop, or leave them to blow about in the breeze like streamers.

That would be silly, but if anything can distract from my impression that each driver now looks like he is peaking up out of a propped-up toilet seat, that could only be a good thing.

Edit: Behold, the fearless toilet-seat driver with tear-off tethers.

outer_bongolia

Well. If we are doing a stupid new rule propositions, two that are near and dear to my heart:
1. Each driver has to use every single tire they used for qualification as long as the circuit is dry (wet will need an adaptation of this. No more two different compound requirement with this rule

2.during qualifying in and out laps are also counted as well as the full single lap (from pit lane speed limit end to pit lane speed limit start with a full lap in between). (Tired of sometimes dangerous queues at the last couple of corners)

The first one could force rethinking of strategies. Reaching Q3 would add a total of 9 laps to tire use.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

mertol

Here is mine - you start with 3 DRS shots and you can replenish them when you overtake a car that is not lapped.

WaikeCU

Shrieker wrote:
Don't think that's a big thing honestly. What if you come Autumn head to Albert Park where tree leaves kick up when cars passing through? Would these leaves not clog up sidepods?

One would say if you don't have that large sidepod intakes, then the chances of getting clogged up sidepods won't be as much :mrgreen:

My stupid new rule proposition:
- For every 10 fastest laps set in the race awards 5 extra points.
- This is additional to the extra point to whoever sets the fastest lap by race finish.
- Points only awarded if you finish in the Top 10.
- This to create an extra dimension for drivers and teams not to save fuel/tires/engine during the race. Some teams might tactically set up the race to win it in the end, some other teams might setup the car to go fast early stint and sacrificing race speed and a better race finish for the 5 extra points.

nzjrs

My stupid rule suggestion is 'Half Race (bonus) Points' (or 1/3 duration, hard to say). Something to encourage counter strategies or zero tire saving at the start of a race. Something crazy that the lower teams could strive for. Let's say 5/4/3/2/1 points.

(I have not thought this through wrt. game theory lol, it probably is indeed a stupid new idea).

edit: points are awarded based on position at 1/2 or 1/3 distance
edit: this is in addition to normal points
Last edited by nzjrs on 19 Jul 2021, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WaikeCU wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 10:27

My stupid new rule proposition:
- For every 10 fastest laps set in the race awards 5 extra points.
- This is additional to the extra point to whoever sets the fastest lap by race finish.
- Points only awarded if you finish in the Top 10.
- This to create an extra dimension for drivers and teams not to save fuel/tires/engine during the race. Some teams might tactically set up the race to win it in the end, some other teams might setup the car to go fast early stint and sacrificing race speed and a better race finish for the 5 extra points.
The problem is that the rules themselves force fuel/tyre/engine saving. If the drivers don't save fuel then they don't finish the race. If they don't save tyres then they don't stay in the points. If they don't save engines then they don't finish the season (effectively, as the penalties kick in).

Given unlimited fuel, tyres, engines, the drivers would drive harder for longer - driver fitness would become a decider in some cases.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.