2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kenshi_blind

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:35
politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:33
But hats off to Mercedes not being baited into qualifying on softs in Q2.
They did send them out on softs just in case, I think. Luckily for Mercedes they had just enough pace on the mediums. But it was close.
Correction , only Hamilton was on soft but that was more if a sighter for Q3, bottas was on mediums

politburo
politburo

dans79 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:30
politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:27
dans79 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:24

Yep, and it's all because he complained so loudly and publicly about Toto going to see the stewards.
Why would Horner go to the stewards for that?. What rule did Hamilton break as it pertains to driving standards?. Sounds like pure speculation abound.

He could complain that his drivers were impeded. However given how the rest of the cars were positioned on track I don't think the stewards would agree.
They were clearly not impeded in the first place. They were slowed down by other drivers lowing down before the last corner - which is an issue at every track it seems. They also took the risk to go last.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

dans79

politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:38
dans79 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:30
politburo wrote:

Why would Horner go to the stewards for that?. What rule did Hamilton break as it pertains to driving standards?. Sounds like pure speculation abound.

He could complain that his drivers were impeded. However given how the rest of the cars were positioned on track I don't think the stewards would agree.
They were clearly not impeded in the first place. They were slowed down by other drivers lowing down before the last corner - which is an issue at every track it seems. They also took the risk to go last.
Like I said, they could claim it but that doesn't mean anyone would believe them.
197 104 103 7

politburo
politburo

DChemTech wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:31
politburo wrote:
dans79 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:24

Yep, and it's all because he complained so loudly and publicly about Toto going to see the stewards.
That, and to be fair, RB just didnt have the pace this weekend (although i am still expecting a few people to come and argue that they had a faster car, as happens every week.. ;p). Maybe Max could have taken Bottas, but Lewis was out of reach here.
True, they just haven't had the pace this weekend. I really cannot see anyone other than Hamilton winning this race, he never makes mistakes and also he starts on the better race tyre, the C3.

Zynerji

If both Bulls get in front of the Mercs at the start, they can slow down P2 due to the overtaking problems here, and let P1 escape.

It's going to be a long, boring, chess game I'm afraid...

sosic2121
sosic2121

foxmulder_ms wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:21
littlebigcat wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:18
Horner off to the stewards in 3...2...

He should bring some chocolates.
He sent them in an email.

RZS10

politburo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:22
It's part of the game, in Silverstone [...] they cheered the crash let's not forget. [...]
There are enough videos that show that they cheered the cars coming around the corner, gasped upon impact and then cheered for Max who got out of the car on his own - i haven't seen a single video that would show people actually cheering the impact.
_______

In theory, what are the rules that might be an issue for Lewis?
driving unnecessarily slowly?
any mandated outlap/sector times?

I heavily doubt that he, whilst having provisional pole, would infringe any of that - and as long as he doesn't he's free to drive the outlap however he wants and everyone behind him is free to overtake him, afaik the gentlemen's agreement only counts towards the end of the lap when the queue has already formed.

From the interviews it would seem that Perez wasn't even informed about how tight it was?

DChemTech
DChemTech

Tvetovnato wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:34
What is the fuzz about? Verstappen did his lap and was 4 tenths slower?

If anyone has a problem with Perez not making it over the line in time, Red Bull has all the possibilty in the world to release him from the pits earlier. End of story. This whole thing is getting completely ridiculous. Get on with it ffs.
Speculation by Doornbos on Ziggo: the aim was not to make RB miss the 2nd lap, but to keep the tires cool so that the lap would be jeopardized (and so would Lewis' own, but he already had a top lap in). Still, the notion that Hamilton was equally stuck in a train plays against that reasoning. And as mentioned before, i dont think RB would have been able to bridge the gap even with perfect temperatures.

“Get yourself ahead of them if you need to Max” was the instruction given by his race engineer early in VERs outlap.

If 10/11 races in you’re unaware which team will be the slowest when it comes to outlaps in baking conditions, then quite frankly that’s incompetent.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Jolle
Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:42
If both Bulls get in front of the Mercs at the start, they can slow down P2 due to the overtaking problems here, and let P1 escape.

It's going to be a long, boring, chess game I'm afraid...
Pace difference between Perez and Hamilton is quite big, so an overtake within the first few laps wouldn’t be a problem. Besides, after a few laps the medium will be a lot faster tire coming from the corners.

Jambier

Season is done.

Sad to see but another title for Hamilton.
Such a boring sport

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

DChemTech wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:43
Tvetovnato wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:34
What is the fuzz about? Verstappen did his lap and was 4 tenths slower?

If anyone has a problem with Perez not making it over the line in time, Red Bull has all the possibilty in the world to release him from the pits earlier. End of story. This whole thing is getting completely ridiculous. Get on with it ffs.
Speculation by Doornbos on Ziggo: the aim was not to make RB miss the 2nd lap, but to keep the tires cool so that the lap would be jeopardized (and so would Lewis' own, but he already had a top lap in). Still, the notion that Hamilton was equally stuck in a train plays against that reasoning. And as mentioned before, i dont think RB would have been able to bridge the gap even with perfect temperatures.
That still doesn’t change the facts. And nothing so far indicated that Max had too cold tyres on the final lap. He usually mentions that.

Interesting development pace-wise. I thought it was gonna be nip and tuck, but this was something else.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Loved Max's response in the clip from the drivers' conference. "Can we stop with this stupid question". Well done Max, well done. =D> =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

politburo
politburo

maxxer wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 16:35
To bad for Sainz so tricky these cars when they go they go
But if there's any driver capable of charging through the field it is Sainz, especially if he starts on Mediums. if both drivers score for Ferrari it will be a good weekend, Aston Martin had great race pace yesterday adding to the usual competitors for points: Alpine and McLaren. It'll be great midfield battle yet again tomorrow. This track is reminiscent of Portimao now with the med-high speed mix of corners. and 1 nice straight.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

OMG. I propose Netflix should bring some F1 rules awareness. What's allowed and not. This bring bring the new 'Fans' maybe to same understanding.