2025 ... 4 wheel driven cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
maxxer

2025 ... 4 wheel driven cars

Would it be possible ?

Big Tea

Re: 2025 ... 4 wheel driven cars

maxxer wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 02:14
Would it be possible ?
Electric fronts?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

F1 is definitely looking at it!
Symonds said that his team is examining whether the 2025 rules should allow energy recovery from both axles for greater efficiency. This would also enable four-wheel drive, which could be restricted to straights only.

“It’s nice to recover from both axles,” he said. “It will be heavy, it’s very difficult to package. And I know that because I’m trying to package it at the moment and have a look at the feasibility of it.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean you need to drive all the time with it. You will use your energy at the start of the straights rather than the maximum speed, and therefore you can use the front drive just when the car is straight, for example, so you don’t lose some of the spectacle of rear-wheel drive."
From: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -from-2025

Also:
https://canopysimulations.com/2018/02/2 ... r-f1-2021/
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

Electric front axle, ICE rear axle. Certainly possible.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

I think the main hurdle they have to tackle is brake feel of a bbw system on the front. In WEC it’s less of an issue because there it’s more about average laptime/efficiency then a daring out break manoeuvre, etc etc.
I don’t know how far they are at making the rear feel like 100% callipers, but when they fix this… why not?

RZS10

Certainly a very cool idea, adding even more weight to those cars which are already massive tanks.

NL_Fer

I still think the front motors can be smaller/lighter if they are only used for brake recovery and not for accelerating. Since braking is only for very short durations. The cooling requirements can be lower.

maxxer

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 14:14
I still think the front motors can be smaller/lighter if they are only used for brake recovery and not for accelerating. Since braking is only for very short durations. The cooling requirements can be lower.
Yes some lightweight electric motor assisting in braking and speeding up doesnt have to be heavy i guess like current brakes are already. the motor can do self cooling on straights

Hoffman900

How will it make the racing / show better?

It'll just add further complication, costs, and be another differentiator to separate the teams that have and have not. Then there is the entire tire wear aspect and all the strategies and complications around that.

So yes, it's possible, but the question is why?

Tommy Cookers

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 14:14
afaik
the size of the 'motors' (and 'controllers') will be according to the peak torque/power - regardless
the highest peak torque/power will be somewhere in the braking mode not in an accelerating mode

and it will always be better to use liquid cooling rather than rely on extra mass for thermal capacity

don't forget the 'controller' is doing the job for which the ICE has valves cams injectors and ignition stuff
this isn't an induction motor or an induction generator
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 11 Aug 2021, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE

Hoffman900 wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 15:40

It'll just add further complication, costs, and be another differentiator to separate the teams that have and have not. Then there is the entire tire wear aspect and all the strategies and complications around that.

I agree with that. Just because you can… doesn’t mean you should

Makes me wonder how long will it be before F1 forgets it’s a sport and no longer sees a driver as relevant to the motoring industry so simply does away with them.

Manoah2u

Personally, i don't really like it though i can see the use of it.

F1 to me is early 90's to late 90's, and screaming V10's.
no hybrid nonsense.

As there's a goal to be using fully synthetic fuels, i think the entire hybrid/electric part of F1 could find it's way into the bin for a decade or two, and leave Formula E with that area.
It could also make Synthetic Diesel engines a thing, so another thing i'd prefer to see in F1 over hybrid.electric stuff.

that said, if we are keeping hybrid, then there is a benefit performance-wise to electric power for FWD. you'd essentially get more grip and get through more speed in the corner with AWD.
it's going to be a technical and engineering exercise to find the balance, especially with indeed the added weight.

there's going to be plenty of space in the 18" wheels though. however, the suspension needs to be firmer and stronger too, and so will the material to prevent wheels flying off into the crowds.
so yeah it's gonna be much heavier.

that said, i don't really think F1 needs to be that over-the top road car realistic. there's WEC and LM for stuff like that imho.
Let sport be sport.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

I would love to see front hub motors, and the addition of triggers to the steering wheel that would "boost" the front wheels independently, and reduce the power to the opposite-rear wheel through the differential. That way, the apexing of the cars could be tweaked by the driver to open up more lines around the tracks.

NL_Fer

Hoffman900 wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 15:40

Current powerunit supply about 8-10MJ of energy every lap for the ERS to deploy. If the rules would increase the electric power and reduce the ICE, more recovery is needed. Otherwise the ERS will be to heavy compared to it’s effectiveness.

AngusF1

It's possible but again, why. Sounds like a techno-wank to make the cars seem more "green" at the cost of more weight, bloat and lowered driver skill differential.