Transparent body parts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Transparent body parts

Some technical rules require bodywork to be visible from beneath or not visible from that position.

Tranparent bodyparts should get around some of the rules I think.

To give an example, the teams cut slots through the "boomerang" over the bargeboard fins that are vertical projections of gaps btween said fins. We know these slots can trip the air a little because we see teams tape similar small gaps on the engine cover.

I wonder if the slots could be filled with transparent material to satisfy the visibikity rules, or even the entire peice of bodywork be made of transparent material. There should be some aerobenefits from this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Re: Transparent body parts

There is in practice, invisible body work. Our old friend Mr. Boundary R. Layer, it's a grower not a shower. :lol:
Saishū kōnā

hollus

Visible at which wavelenght? Look, here, in X-rays it is perfectly visible!
Rivals, not enemies.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

hollus wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 07:15
Visible at which wavelenght? Look, here, in X-rays it is perfectly visible!
Look where?
Ah, I see now...

Dang, hollus, I knew I should've gone for the 'x-ray specs', & not them bloody useless 'sea monkeys'!

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 00:08
Some technical rules require bodywork to be visible from beneath or not visible from that position.

To give an example, the teams cut slots through the "boomerang" over the bargeboard fins that are vertical projections of gaps btween said fins. We know these slots can trip the air a little because we see teams tape similar small gaps on the engine cover.

I wonder if the slots could be filled with transparent material to satisfy the visibikity rules, or even the entire peice of bodywork be made of transparent material. There should be some aerobenefits from this.
Yeah, them NASCAR boys done tried that ah, dodge - decades ago... promptly banned, 'cept off course...

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

PhillipM
PhillipM

If it was that easy, by your own admission, they'd just tape over the gaps. They don't, so there there must be something defining it in the rules/tech directives.

Bandit1216

There must be, if not there will be right after the first team tries it. Except for the aero screen/canopy. Might be wise to make that transparent should it ever come.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

wesley123
wesley123

PlatinumZealot wrote:

No, because the whole intent of the rule is that it is shadowed with a material. Also, transparent materials would still be visible since they'll reflect light in a certain way.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

wesley123 wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 21:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:

No, because the whole intent of the rule is that it is shadowed with a material. Also, transparent materials would still be visible since they'll reflect light in a certain way.
Exactly.

If transparent panels were "legal", all the cars would have "transparent" fenders.

From an aero perspective, they do in a way have an invisible body over the car... they're just doing it with air, or at least trying the best they can to.

SiLo

Similarly, I have always wondered about the teams using porous aero surfaces, that bleed air through themselves at high speeds...
Felipe Baby!