A better F1 app

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gillian

A better F1 app

Not sure if I am posting this in the right section but if not, a mod please move it for me?

I am a bit disappointed with the F1 app and started to wonder what would make a good F1 app. I am an engineer and if I have some time I might start a little project to make a F1 app.

So my question is, what would make you download and use a F1 app? What info would it need to contain? What functionality would you like to see?

All lap time data from practice sessions, qualy and race? Race calendar? Team information? A voting system for race, drivers? A news section which aggregates news from all popular sites?

Zynerji

Re: A better F1 app

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:20
Not sure if I am posting this in the right section but if not, a mod please move it for me?

I am a bit disappointed with the F1 app and started to wonder what would make a good F1 app. I am an engineer and if I have some time I might start a little project to make a F1 app.

So my question is, what would make you download and use a F1 app? What info would it need to contain? What functionality would you like to see?

All lap time data from practice sessions, qualy and race? Race calendar? Team information? A voting system for race, drivers? A news section which aggregates news from all popular sites?
Please just apply to work for F1, and just replace all of the kindergarten-level coding that makes it nearly unusable in many situations...

Gillian

Not really interesting in that.

What makes the F1 app unusable for you and what would you like to see fixed?

Zynerji

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 22:22
Not really interesting in that.

What makes the F1 app unusable for you and what would you like to see fixed?
Load time
connectivity drop
camera switching
Smart TV compatible... :roll:
Not 300MB for 1mb worth of React components...

If they had an API that you could offer a $5 app that actually works and can load onto smart TV's that let us log into our paid F1TV accounts, you would be a millionaire very quickly!

Gillian

Ah you are talking about the F1TV app. That has weird bugs indeed. When a session is stil live I can watch it from the beginning but when I cast it to a screen it just hangs... There is no available API like you say, which is a bummer. I would even pay a fee to get access but I don't think that's an option either...

Zynerji

Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 23:35
Ah you are talking about the F1TV app. That has weird bugs indeed. When a session is stil live I can watch it from the beginning but when I cast it to a screen it just hangs... There is no available API like you say, which is a bummer. I would even pay a fee to get access but I don't think that's an option either...
Find out. You may be able to get a collection going around here for something that actually works well...

I mean, WTH doesn't it work on Smart TV's? My sideload works enough to just watch the current front page vid, but nothing else. No replay, no camera change, nothing... :oops:

PS: https://www.reddit.com/r/F1TV/comments/ ... w_api_and/

hugobos

I tested f1 tv app a year ago , and it was really bad , with a unbelievable inadequate customer support. I streamed via ipad to Apple TV, with all kind of issues. For more then two years it is stated that the f1 tv app will come to Apple TV , still not there. Fast forward- as the dutch tv channel became the Max channel with biased commentary and disrespect for other drivers, when the dutch commentator was going to ask the FIA for rule changes , and the co hosts where talking about a pre determined murder attempt…I switched to the f1 tv app ,English commentary , not always on topic but excellent compared to the dutch commentators. And it works really beautiful, the streaming is superb to Apple TV now with no issues . I miss one thing a good statistics database , I use GP guide app-worth checking- in the f1 apps. I really miss that.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

Gillian

Zynerji wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 23:37
Gillian wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 23:35
Find out. You may be able to get a collection going around here for something that actually works well...

I mean, WTH doesn't it work on Smart TV's? My sideload works enough to just watch the current front page vid, but nothing else. No replay, no camera change, nothing... :oops:

PS: https://www.reddit.com/r/F1TV/comments/ ... w_api_and/
Yeah that's a nice app, but:
Due to a Content Infringement Complaint from Formula One Licensing BV, Race Control has been pulled from the Microsoft Store until further notice. Please perform a manual installation instead (see below).
With that repo I could make an app but it would probably be pulled from the app/play-store pretty fast...

I was more thinking about making free practice lap times and tire usage accessible for example. Not sure where the table is downloaded from that contains the tore usage as well as lap times?

Gillian

hugobos wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 00:02
... I miss one thing a good statistics database , I use GP guide app-worth checking- in the f1 apps. I really miss that.
I can't find GP guide in the play-store? What do you mean with statistics? Lap times and tire usage or historical data?

hugobos

Gillian

hugobos wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 09:33
https://mobile.gpguide.com/
Ah thank you. That app probably uses the ergast API.

Edit I found an API that has all the lap info with tires used etc. Its in python but making a little adapter to use it in an Android/iOS app won't be too hard.

hugobos

Gillian thanks for your replay , but for me it is completely alien what you are posting. :shock: But it seems you know your stuff! =D>

Gillian

Sorry I apologize haha. Someone has written some code that pulls data from the F1 servers which contains everything from free practice lap times, tires used, race stints etc. The programming language used in that code is not suitable for apps on iPhones/Android but I can make some code myself to make it work. When I have a few hours I will make something to see if it works (pretty sure it won't be too hard).

NathanOlder

The current App works fine, Live timing, driver tracker.

The only thing I find frustrating is I use mostly the live timing on thewebsite (laptop) and the web based version is just a lite version (even though you pay for it when you pay for the app version) and it doesn't include what tyres they are currently on, or a driver tracker.

When I watch F1, I have the TV on skysports F1, Laptop on the live timing, Tablet on the driver tracker and my phone on F1Technical :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Gillian

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the F1TV app, which due to the reasons posted above I can not do anything with/improve.

My question is about what an app should offer to be supplemental to that. I feel like free practice times and tire usage would be nice to have after a session.

Maybe I should do a little mockup to show what I can do with a little time...

Edit: Grammar...lol