No longer alone!

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Big Tea

Re: No longer alone!

It won't happen now. 10 or 15 years too late, the generations who grew up with it are all late 60's now.
The younger people grew up with metric and after that the imperia system makes no sense at all.

Possibly a couple of the 'names' such as pint could be re-introduced, but they never went away .
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

The way i understand it this would allow the exclusive usage of imperial units but won't force anyone to do anything so yea ... will probably be used by some "traditional" establishments but that's that.

hUirEYExbN

Unfortunately, this just means that there is no legal requirement on shopkeepers to use metric measurements. There is no reversion other than for a few select people who choose to do so.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 18:53
It won't happen now. 10 or 15 years too late, the generations who grew up with it are all late 60's now.
The younger people grew up with metric and after that the imperia system makes no sense at all.

Possibly a couple of the 'names' such as pint could be re-introduced, but they never went away .
Pints never went away anyway. We buy milk in pints. It's typical tory distraction tactics on the day inflation rose and they voted to remove universal credit uplift.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

RZS10 wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 19:08
The way i understand it this would allow the exclusive usage of imperial units but won't force anyone to do anything so yea ... will probably be used by some "traditional" establishments but that's that.
Would that be traditional as in Victorian!? 😂
Will we see the return of the East India Trading Company….

Thinking in multiples of 12, 14, 16 etc will be hard going!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 19:13
Big Tea wrote:

Pints never went away anyway. We buy milk in pints. It's typical tory distraction tactics on the day inflation rose and they voted to remove universal credit uplift.
I quite agree, smokescreen.

Maybe for their next trick they will bring back hanging, Priti Patel is fairly famous as a supporter of that.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

RZS10

I was rather thinking long established businesses with an aging clientele ... lol

Big Tea

RZS10 wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 20:31
I was rather thinking long established businesses with an aging clientele ... lol
That would be me. Did my apprenticeship in Imperial units and my first degree. Soon after we were 'decimalised'.

I still think in imperial and have to convert in my head so understand how it would be viewed my the majority of the country if they had to reverse it. Having said that, I tried to show my grandson how to use a slide rule and he gave up (stupid old man, use your phone :mrgreen: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Stu wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 20:08
jjn9128 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Maybe for their next trick they will bring back hanging, Priti Patel is fairly famous as a supporter of that.
Oh they're the masters of the smokescreen. The media seems completely oblivious to the growing momentum towards a day of industrial action in the NHS over pay 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stu

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 23:23
Stu wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Oh they're the masters of the smokescreen. The media seems completely oblivious to the growing momentum towards a day of industrial action in the NHS over pay 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Go steady! You will go from heroes worthy of a round of applause in place of a pay rise to enemies of the state…

Strangely, when I tried to call my electricity supplier and tried to pay with a bit of clapping they threatened to send the bailiffs in 🤔

Maybe, in the spirit of ‘undecimilisation’ I should have offered in £,s,d?

mclaren111

Stu wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Have to say I'm starting to support it myself lately as our societies are becoming more & more Barbaric...

Attempts to make Pedophilia a sexual orientation & not a crime deserves Hanging... :D

Stu

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:24
Stu wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

Have to say I'm starting to support it myself lately as our societies are becoming more & more Barbaric...

Attempts to make Pedophilia a sexual orientation & not a crime deserves Hanging... :D
On your final point, I think that makes it really easy to spot the Paedos, as nobody else could put forward such an argument 😂.
I would rather see such people confronted with the ‘Black Mirror’ replay method on a perpetual loop than hanged. Society would get far more from it.

mclaren111

Stu wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:29
mclaren111 wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:24
Stu wrote:

On your final point, I think that makes it really easy to spot the Paedos, as nobody else could put forward such an argument 😂.
I would rather see such people confronted with the ‘Black Mirror’ replay method on a perpetual loop than hanged. Society would get far more from it.

Yet another burdon on the tax payer...

Jolle

They should, for good measure (get it :P) adopt the “British imperial” that is slightly different then the US way of measuring stuff with body parts. Just to add to the confusion.